Drew has multi-year options...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Drew has multi-year options...

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

... says Boras.

Pete A., would you mind asking Boras a "tough" question every now and then?

Like, who?

Even if just to get his equivocaton on record.

That would be like a reporter asking Ben Cherington the specific players to whom the team has made an offer.

Good luck with that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are in a win/win situation.

The bonus to this whole event is the fact that Ben C. has one up on Boras.  I love it.

[/QUOTE]

Theo got him real good too with the  VTek blunder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

... says Boras.

Pete A., would you mind asking Boras a "tough" question every now and then?

Like, who?

Even if just to get his equivocaton on record.

That would be like a reporter asking Ben Cherington the specific players to whom the team has made an offer.

Good luck with that.

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  We know Boras will equivcocate.  But it's kind of a reporter's trick.  If you suspect the guy is lying, which I think Boras is, you make him repeat the lie, even if it's just to say  "You know I can't tell you that." The further you push him, the greater the chance that he'll give something up.  That's because people are not comfortable having to explain themselves when they're lying.

My guess is he's bluffing, and trying to get a two- or three-year deal out of the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are in a win/win situation.

The bonus to this whole event is the fact that Ben C. has one up on Boras.  I love it.

[/QUOTE]

Theo got him real good too with the  VTek blunder.

[/QUOTE]

True, yet if memory is correct, Vtek 'told' Boras he wanted to re-sign with the Sox.  If the market doesn't improve for Drew, he might do the same think....but, whatever. 

Personally, I'd prefer the draft pick, let XB start at short, start WM at third. and go with a decent utility guy.

We have Cecchini real close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd love to have Drew back for 2/28.3 but they can not afford him unless we can dump Dempster..........

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Spinning wheels by "whatever we get for trading Middy" doesn't sound good at all. Middlebrooks is coming off the 2nd of 2 injury plagued seasons, so it's not exactly selling high. It's more like forcing MIddlebrooks into the market at the wrong time and selling a "we have to move him now distressed asset" approach. Middlebrooks 2012 ~.850 OPS might attract some interest, but, best case, what on earth is coming back in trade for Middlebrooks that would exceed keeping Middlebrooks and getting a draft pick? Best case, it's some veteran, fair but low impact role player. Worst case, it's a 2nd rate prospect/B prospect.  

The same value you place on Middy is the same value some GM will place on him.

I said I wasn't for signing Drew, but when you mentioned the equation, you left out the part about what we'd get for Middy, which I feel would be something significant. Cartainly a prospect better than the draft pick value. That's all.

The other advantage of trading Middy and moving Bogey to 3B is an improvement on defense. I know you think Drew stinks on D, but you are not in the majority on that opinion. Middy may be better than Bogey at 3B intitially, but over a short time, I think Bogey would pass him.

Again:

Don't sign Drew.

Keep Middy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The good news is that the Red Sox model of labor management has improved dramatically, which 

We lucked out when Drew said "no".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to solareclipse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I sure hope Drew has mult-year options, elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 to 9M might look better than 10M plus ( I suppose the assumption is that all Drew is going to get is one year.........I think the WS season for the Red Sox and .770's OPS for a lefty plating SS will lead some team to go at least 2 years and nearly 20 M if not more.......we'll see), but, just on the assumption of 9M stand alone, why sign Drew and decline the draft pick and add 9M more to the payroll and create infield blocking contest Part 2 between Bogaerts and MIddlebrooks? Wasn't it bad enough to watch the forced roster pivot move trade the 2013 Rookie of the Year runner-up for Peavy? Why double down on that same mindset for another 9M dollars on Drew? Unless the Red Sox take the draft pick for Drew (a minor miracle of luck as much as good management on the QO gamble), hard to see the net of 2013 signing Drew and trading Iglesias as anything but a nearsighted and clumsy move(s). Since you made one assumption, let me make one: Anyone really believe that never signing Drew and/or trading for Peavy, and starting Iglesias in 2013 produces any different result for the 2013 team? I certainly don't buy it for a second. With Bogaerts in the cue for 2013, it holds no water for what I see, plain as day.

Spinning wheels by "whatever we get for trading Middy" doesn't sound good at all. Middlebrooks is coming off the 2nd of 2 injury plagued seasons, so it's not exactly selling high. It's more like forcing MIddlebrooks into the market at the wrong time and selling a "we have to move him now distressed asset" approach. Middlebrooks 2012 ~.850 OPS might attract some interest, but, best case, what on earth is coming back in trade for Middlebrooks that would exceed keeping Middlebrooks and getting a draft pick? Best case, it's some veteran, fair but low impact role player. Worst case, it's a 2nd rate prospect/B prospect.   

I denounced the Dempster move, which I can't believe was followed by the Peavy move, but, assuming that some team will pay 8 to 10 million for one year's worth of services for Dempster, wouldn't it make more sense to trade Peavy (better market value) and have Dempster and Middlebrooks? I'm not in favor of dealing either Demspter or Peavy this winter, because I think sleeping in this bed until summer at least provides SP depth and almost surely guarantees either one will have a better summer trade market when the guarantee of SP attrition makes several teams desperate enough to trade from their weakness in SP. That said................

Would Drew's signing (I think the Red Sox should be done with expensive base FA signings), would Drew's signing really put the Red Sox in a CBA budget cage to where they need to try and pivot roster moves this early?  Just another reason not to sign Drew, though I don't believe the CBT capture date happens until the end of next season so they would have time to trade Peavy or Dempster next summer..

Seriously, to quote one of my favorite American tennis player/entertainer, "you can't be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Even if Drew has an OPS around .800 for 2014 and a UZR in the upper quartile of SS for 2014, and even if Middlebrooks flounders in 2014, I still don't see the merit in:

Sigining Drew and paying 10M base + trading/blocking 25 year old Middlebrooks > Draft pick plus Middlebrooks 2014 plus 10M to retain in the budget for this summer moves

Best line/theme from Henry and Larry, "dont fall in love with your veterans!!!!!!!"  They did that with Napoli (but at least he had some merit as a proven even if crazy more expensive alternative to Hart), they didn't go insane and do it with Ellsbury, they smartly didn't do it with Salty, but I'll be shocked if they go "Crawford", I mean postal and resign Drew over the alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should bluff on Drew, as I'm certain the Yankees are flying like overweight vultures. I'd love to see the Yankees add Drew and about 30M or more to their current locked in old veteran FA golden parachutes club. But they should be careful on the bluff, as bringing Drew back and spending 10M would be laughable to the word sanity.

And, it's not the money spent, it's all about who the budget is spent on, and you bet therer is a budget.  

The good news is that the Red Sox model of labor management has improved dramatically, which 

[/QUOTE]

Softy.....ask yourself this and think about it after you get the boot again by tomorrow.  Would you read any of our posts if they were that long, drawn out and boring?  I seriously stopped reading at "I sure hope"

anyway.... tick tock.....tick tock....tick tock....tick tick.....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Drew going to cost any team a draft pick, I would think that he may not sign anywhere in near future.

He may find himself without a team heading into spring training unless he signs with the Red Sox on their terms.  He is a good player, but is not an elite player so teams will remain very cautious when thinking of sacrificing a top draft pick in a supposedly a deep draft in 2014.

I do not have a problem bringing Drew back, but not at the expense of giving Bogaerts a six week to two month shot at shortstop to see if he can handle the spot.  I do not like the idea of having Bogaerts shifting from short to third to short over and over.  

If he fails to look prepared to play shortstop on a first string basis after 40-50 games then he can go back to the shortstop to third base shuffle that he was on last year.

This probably means that Drew needs to have his glove ready as a multiple position player if he comes back to the Sox.  Such a move to prepare for the rest of his career is probably not a bad idea at this point in his career any how.

[/QUOTE]
    The Sox are still in the best position to sign Drew. Anyone else will vastly over pay.It is not like that Ben will cheat him,but will not give him Ells like numbers. If  Yanquis sign him, they will further hurt their so called "avoidance" of the LT. No one ever pulls one over on Boras, but I think the best thing for his client would be to have Sox  re-sign Drew

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I can't argue with that logic, but I also think we won the series last year because of pitching depth.  If we do sign Drew it would come at the cost of salary dumping Dempster.  Now that might not be a bad thing, but the other thing that it does is lose us a supplimental draft pick in a very strong and deep draft next year and that IS a bad thing.  So combine the loss of starting pitching depth (with clay as a big question mark) with the cost of the draft player. 

Very good point, but I guess if you value Morales, Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, and maybe Owens midseason, then losing Dempster might not be a loss at all.        I agree with losing Dempster not being much of a loss at all, but I noted that the loss of the draft pick for Drew would hurt more IMO.

Xander brings the most value to a team at short stop because his bat is so much better than almost every other shortstop in the game right now before seasoning.  If he plays third, his value goes down because it is easier to find a very good bat at the corner infield spots.

While technically true, the SS positions has more and more become a position of offense as 3B has declined in offense, so Bogey's positional comparative value at SS is just marginally greater than his positional comparative value at 3B.

Here's a look at the positional OPS 25 year trends:

SS     3B   Differential

'78  638  712   +74

'83  658  729   +71

'88  654  701   +65

'93  690  739   +49

'98  701  761   +60

'03  710  729   +19

'08  713  761   +48

'09  711  756   +45

'10  679  733   +54

'11  684  705   +21

'12  685  738   +53

'13  675  715  +40

The differential went from about a 50-75 point 3B advantage from '78 to '98 to a 20 to 50 advantage.    Good info Moon!  We have to keep in mind that the third baseman numbers are really inflated by Miguel Cabrera's amazing seasons and I doubt he will be a third baseman next year with Fielder not on the team anymore.  We also have to keep in mind that the SS numbers are down with Jeter injured and Hanley moving off of short to third.  I think this is a great chart to use to track steroid usage and the affect on positions that were not previously known for offense. 

So Xander is projected between 2.8-3.9 WAR at short.  That number would likely drop down a full win at third.  Middlebrooks is projected to be a 2.3-2.8 WAR player at third.  Drew is projected to have a 2.0 WAR at short stop.  That leaves us a win short to make up for the offensive loss of Ellsbury to start the season if we go with Drew at short and a less valuable Xander at third.

A lot of WAR depends on fielding, and how well Bogey would field at 3B is a guess. I'm thinking that within 2 years, playing just one position fully, he would have a better fielding rating at 3B than SS, at least when looking at it as compared to the league norm. I admit, this is just speculation, but I would think it is easier to field 3B than SS, so Bogey could learn quickly and maybe even become a plus on defense by year 2. Personally, I don't see him becoming a top 15 fielding SS withing 3-5 years, if ever. I hope I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling.   Steamer and Oliver projections indicate that Xander is already an above average fielder as he has positive defense and that is measured against the average player.  He has shown improvement in fielding the past three years through the minors posting 26 errors (296 Plate Appearances), 21 errors (532 PA), 19 errors (565 PA).  There are not many stats to pick apart minor league defense, but the one concern is that he lost a bit of range factor that went from amazing levels early in the minors to just good.  One of the best attributes about Xander is that he is good at learning at a very fast rate... just look how quickly his plate approach turned from an eye sore early in his career to a strong point in the playoffs this year.  He also learned third base as if it was his natural position right along.

That said, the entire pitching staff had a much much much better year overall for all players last year.  How much of that was the catching vs. short stop... etc.  I would be concerned that giving up a very strong defensive short stop for a very strong offensive short stop could have an impact on our overall pitching and that is a very real risk.  There is a reason why Farrell is so high on Drew and with his pitching background, I suspect that this is the reason why.

I agree, and I think some of the pitching gains were related to Salty maturing behind the plate, but certainly some was due to having Drew and Iggy at SS instead of Aviles.

Nice post RSO!   Thx brother

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Ben did a smart move by giving him a QO, he knew Boras was going to reject it. Now the Draft Pick becomes involved, smart. Keep it simple.
    Now everything is on Boras.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't argue with that logic, but I also think we won the series last year because of pitching depth.  If we do sign Drew it would come at the cost of salary dumping Dempster.  Now that might not be a bad thing, but the other thing that it does is lose us a supplimental draft pick in a very strong and deep draft next year and that IS a bad thing.  So combine the loss of starting pitching depth (with clay as a big question mark) with the cost of the draft player. 

Very good point, but I guess if you value Morales, Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, and maybe Owens midseason, then losing Dempster might not be a loss at all.        I agree with losing Dempster not being much of a loss at all, but I noted that the loss of the draft pick for Drew would hurt more IMO.

Xander brings the most value to a team at short stop because his bat is so much better than almost every other shortstop in the game right now before seasoning.  If he plays third, his value goes down because it is easier to find a very good bat at the corner infield spots.

While technically true, the SS positions has more and more become a position of offense as 3B has declined in offense, so Bogey's positional comparative value at SS is just marginally greater than his positional comparative value at 3B.

Here's a look at the positional OPS 25 year trends:

SS     3B   Differential

'78  638  712   +74

'83  658  729   +71

'88  654  701   +65

'93  690  739   +49

'98  701  761   +60

'03  710  729   +19

'08  713  761   +48

'09  711  756   +45

'10  679  733   +54

'11  684  705   +21

'12  685  738   +53

'13  675  715  +40

The differential went from about a 50-75 point 3B advantage from '78 to '98 to a 20 to 50 advantage.    Good info Moon!  We have to keep in mind that the third baseman numbers are really inflated by Miguel Cabrera's amazing seasons and I doubt he will be a third baseman next year with Fielder not on the team anymore.  We also have to keep in mind that the SS numbers are down with Jeter injured and Hanley moving off of short to third.  I think this is a great chart to use to track steroid usage and the affect on positions that were not previously known for offense. 

So Xander is projected between 2.8-3.9 WAR at short.  That number would likely drop down a full win at third.  Middlebrooks is projected to be a 2.3-2.8 WAR player at third.  Drew is projected to have a 2.0 WAR at short stop.  That leaves us a win short to make up for the offensive loss of Ellsbury to start the season if we go with Drew at short and a less valuable Xander at third.

A lot of WAR depends on fielding, and how well Bogey would field at 3B is a guess. I'm thinking that within 2 years, playing just one position fully, he would have a better fielding rating at 3B than SS, at least when looking at it as compared to the league norm. I admit, this is just speculation, but I would think it is easier to field 3B than SS, so Bogey could learn quickly and maybe even become a plus on defense by year 2. Personally, I don't see him becoming a top 15 fielding SS withing 3-5 years, if ever. I hope I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling.   Steamer and Oliver projections indicate that Xander is already an above average fielder as he has positive defense and that is measured against the average player.  He has shown improvement in fielding the past three years through the minors posting 26 errors (296 Plate Appearances), 21 errors (532 PA), 19 errors (565 PA).  There are not many stats to pick apart minor league defense, but the one concern is that he lost a bit of range factor that went from amazing levels early in the minors to just good.  One of the best attributes about Xander is that he is good at learning at a very fast rate... just look how quickly his plate approach turned from an eye sore early in his career to a strong point in the playoffs this year.  He also learned third base as if it was his natural position right along.

That said, the entire pitching staff had a much much much better year overall for all players last year.  How much of that was the catching vs. short stop... etc.  I would be concerned that giving up a very strong defensive short stop for a very strong offensive short stop could have an impact on our overall pitching and that is a very real risk.  There is a reason why Farrell is so high on Drew and with his pitching background, I suspect that this is the reason why.

I agree, and I think some of the pitching gains were related to Salty maturing behind the plate, but certainly some was due to having Drew and Iggy at SS instead of Aviles.

Nice post RSO!   Thx brother

[/QUOTE]

You're welcome.

I just can't see Bogey being the 15th best or better fielding SS in 2014.

Last year 30 SSs had over 600 innings at SS. In 2014, Jeter may crack the top 30, so there's one worse than Bogey. (Although Nunez was ranked last in UZR/150, so it doesn't add one.)

I do not think that the rookie Bogey will be better than these guys in 2014:

UZR/150

23.9 Simmons

14.2 Barmes

12.2 Y Escobar

12.1 A Escobar

8.0 Kozma

7.7 Cozart

7.6 Tulo

6.7 Drew

6.0 Hardy

5.5 A Ram

4.6 E Andrus

4.5 Peralta

4.4 Florimon

4.2 Desmond

4.2 Crawford

3.2 B Ryan (not a starter in 2014?)

Not counting Ryan, I see Bogey maybe ranking #16, but...

He may be close to these guys:

0.5 HanRam

-1.0 Gregorius

-1.1 J Segura

-1.7 E Cabrera

-2.7 Rollins

-3.5 Castro

The median SS's UZR in 2013 was 4.2 (B Crawford), with Brendon Ryan placing #16. I seriously doubt Bogey will be better than Ryan year 1.

And then there is:

22.1 Punto (not a starter)

20.4 Pennington 20.4 (May start if Gregorius is traded or even if not)

8.3 Iggy will start

6.6 J Nix (not a starter)

1.1 Kawasaki (???)

0.5 R Tejada

-0.5 B Miller

-2.6 Aviles

Out of the top 44 SSs in 2013 (250+ innings, the median SS's UZR/150  0.5 (HanRam)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben did a smart move by giving him a QO, he knew Boras was going to reject it. Now the Draft Pick becomes involved, smart. Keep it simple.
    Now everything is on Boras.

[/QUOTE]

It was risky, but just for a 1 year deal for a player motivated to have a big season, but this worked out great.

We have 3 picks in the top 35 or so in a strong and deep draft. Gotta love it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

He still will end up regretting not taking $14M/1.

$18M/2 amounts to $4M for the second year.

Kind of reminds me of Varitek. Now, who was Jason's agent?

Wink

[/QUOTE]

a bird in the hand is worth...well...you know.

it's the same reason boras forced the sox hand with Manny.  Boras wasnt getting a dime if the sox picked up Manny's option as that deal was done by his previous agent.  in this case, regardless of the years, Boras will take whatever offer is the most $$$.  10% of that 2nd year $4MM pays for a murcielago....and boras knows that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wink

[/QUOTE]

it's the same reason boras forced the sox hand with Manny.  Boras wasnt getting a dime if the sox picked up Manny's option as that deal was done by his previous agent.  in this case, regardless of the years, Boras will take whatever offer is the most $$$.  10% of that 2nd year $4MM pays for a murcielago....and boras knows that.

[/QUOTE]

But unless Drew dumped Boras after taking $14M/1, he would have made more had he told Drew to take the QO (unless he got hurt or stunk in 2014).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

You're welcome.

I just can't see Bogey being the 15th best or better fielding SS in 2014.

Last year 30 SSs had over 600 innings at SS. In 2014, Jeter may crack the top 30, so there's one worse than Bogey. (Although Nunez was ranked last in UZR/150, so it doesn't add one.)

I do not think that the rookie Bogey will be better than these guys in 2014:

UZR/150

23.9 Simmons

14.2 Barmes

12.2 Y Escobar

12.1 A Escobar

8.0 Kozma

7.7 Cozart

7.6 Tulo

6.7 Drew

6.0 Hardy

5.5 A Ram

4.6 E Andrus

4.5 Peralta

4.4 Florimon

4.2 Desmond

4.2 Crawford

3.2 B Ryan (not a starter in 2014?)

Not counting Ryan, I see Bogey maybe ranking #16, but...

He may be close to these guys:

0.5 HanRam

-1.0 Gregorius

-1.1 J Segura

-1.7 E Cabrera

-2.7 Rollins

-3.5 Castro

The median SS's UZR in 2013 was 4.2 (B Crawford), with Brendon Ryan placing #16. I seriously doubt Bogey will be better than Ryan year 1.

And then there is:

22.1 Punto (not a starter)

20.4 Pennington 20.4 (May start if Gregorius is traded or even if not)

8.3 Iggy will start

6.6 J Nix (not a starter)

1.1 Kawasaki (???)

0.5 R Tejada

-0.5 B Miller

-2.6 Aviles

Out of the top 44 SSs in 2013 (250+ innings, the median SS's UZR/150  0.5 (HanRam)

[/QUOTE]

Xander had a 1.8 UZR last year at short  in only 52 innings and a -1.9 UZR at third base in only 58 innings last year.  These were in limited opportunities and my naked eye test thought he looked much better at short (naturally since it is his normal position).  He is projected to have a 10.3 Def over the next five years by Oliver projections. 

I think we can peg him to be Hanley Ramirez defensively as that is average and agree on that.  I don't think the projection systems have enough info to really tell what we have defensively on the kid. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wink

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But unless Drew dumped Boras after taking $14M/1, he would have made more had he told Drew to take the QO (unless he got hurt or stunk in 2014).

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  but that ship has sailed.  Boras obviously believed there would be more bidding on Drew.  maybe there still will be...it is early and in recent years many big deals didn't go off until Christmas.  again, with already having declined the QO, boras will take the most $$ regardless of years / AAV.  I still hope the sox can get him done for a 2 year deal as i am not sold on WMB.  i would be thrilled to see X-bo at the hot corner and drew at SS for 2014......

Sections
Shortcuts