Drew headed for DL tomorrow. Should Theo make a trade to replace him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Drew headed for DL tomorrow. Should Theo make a trade to replace him?

nickcafardo profile

nickcafardo JD DREW has been experiencing some shoulder discomfort

nickcafardo profile

nickcafardo No obvious replacement for J.D. Drew if he goes on DL tomorrow. Sox may be trying to deal for OF.
    Update:
    by Sean McAdam/CSNNE:
    Outfielder J.D. Drew will be placed on the disabled list Monday with an impingement in his left shoulder, according to a baseball source.

Drew hasn't been in the lineup since the Red Sox returned home from their six-game road trip to Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

It's unknown how long he'll be out of the lineup.

In the last week or so, Drew has lost playing time as the Sox continue to find playing time for Josh Reddick, who is hitting .358.

The Red Sox will use Drew's DL placement as a way to get Jon Lester back onto the active roster. Lester has been sidelined for the last three weeks with a lat pull, but is scheduled to return to the rotation Monday night in the first game of a four-game series wit5h Kansas City.

The move will leave with the Red Sox with just four outfielders -- Reddick, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury and Darnell McDonald -- though Yamaico Navarro, an infielder, is capable of playing the outfield.

Drew going on the DL also means that pitcher Kyle Weiland, who made two spot starts in Lester's place, will remain with the Red Sox, at least for the time being.

The prevailing though was that Weiland would return to Pawtucket when Lester returned, but he was up in the seventh inning in the bullpen Sunday.

Weiland was a closer at Notre Dame and is no stranger to pitching in relief, though he has started exclusively since turning pro.

"It's about what I remember (in terms of) getting ready in college -- the mentality and all that," said Weiland said of pitching in relief. "Besides that, it's obviously a different level and I have some things to learn. I'll keep talking to guys around here and figure out what it takes and make the adjustments at that time."

Weiland was unsure how long he was going to stay when he was promoted to Pawtucket.

"Whatever the role I get put in," he said, "I'm excited and I think I can do it pretty well. Once I'm out there, I think it's going to be the same game it's always been. Pitching is pitching and it's just a matter of just getting into that comfort zone."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him?

The 1975 Sox had two super rookie outfielders ( Rice and Lynn) and they went with them. Thank God that the FO decided to keep them and not trade. Reddick just might be worthwhile keeping. Then there is Kalish down on the farm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him?:
    nickcafardo JD DREW has been experiencing some shoulder discomfort nickcafardo No obvious replacement for J.D. Drew if he goes on DL tomorrow. Sox may be trying to deal for OF.
    Posted by Mr.Bump

Mets are expecting much for Beltran since he's gone at the end of the season.   Snag him now and get it over with. NY is even willing to eat at least half of his salary.  Reddick can be the 4th outfielder. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him?:
    The 1975 Sox had two super rookie outfielders ( Rice and Lynn) and they went with them. Thank God that the FO decided to keep them and not trade. Reddick just might be worthwhile keeping. Then there is Kalish down on the farm.
    Posted by Your-Echo

The Sox can't count on Kalish anytime soon.  He's still rehabbing his torn labrum.  Seems like Lin could be next inline for an OF call up, although he would need to be added to the 40 man roster.  Navarro could start seeing more time in the OF too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

Please just release Nancy he taken a roster spot up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Drew goes on the D.L. , Sox will probably bring Sutton back up for the time being. No doubt they are looking to deal for another outfielder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Good prediction!

It is Reddick's time. Another nice 2-4 day for our young star in RF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think they will look for a RH bat if they think they can improve upon Darnell McDonald they will. But this isn't likely to be a big splash like Beltran but more a move like Bobby Kielty was in 2007 (a guy who was not special but had great splits against LH pitching).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

This gives Theo a week to figure out if/who to target for trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him?:
    If Drew goes on the D.L. , Sox will probably bring Sutton back up for the time being. No doubt they are looking to deal for another outfielder.
    Posted by dgalehouse

They article specifically stated that Lester was taking his spot

Have we seen the last of Nancy Boy??????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tj1975fredlynn. Show tj1975fredlynn's posts

Re: Drew headed for DL tomorrow. Should Theo make a trade to replace him?

its time the tourch was passed. riddick Reminds me of a young greenwell. If HE CAN GET THE ABS THIS SEASON i THUNK HE CAN HELP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him? : They article specifically stated that Lester was taking his spot Have we seen the last of Nancy Boy??????
    Posted by andrewmitch

That would give them thirteen pitchers and only three bench players. It would have to be temporary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

This is a good analysis of this situation:http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bacVA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"That would give them thirteen pitchers and only three bench players. It would have to be temporary."

I'm assuming they want to keep Lester at a low pitch count tonite since he's just off the DL.  Weiland probably sticks around for another day in case they need him as a long reliever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

More malingering by Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Drew headed for DL tomorrow. Should Theo make a trade to replace him?:
    More malingering by Drew.
    Posted by Alibiike

Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew is headed to the disabled list with a left shoulder impingement. Tonight's starting pitcher, Jon Lester, will fill Drew's roster spot.

"We didn't DL him right away because we didn't have a move we wanted to make and he could have pinch-run, something like that," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said.

"Hopefully, the couple [of] weeks down will really do him some good and get him some strength back in that shoulder. Maybe we have a better chance of seeing the J.D. that we're hoping for."

Francona said that Drew had an MRI on Saturday and that no specific play caused the injury.

"I don't know how long it's been bothering him," Francona said. "He's been getting treatment on it for a while, a couple of weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

siestafiesta - "I'm assuming they want to keep Lester at a low pitch count tonite since he's just off the DL.  Weiland probably sticks around for another day in case they need him as a long reliever "

The 13 pitchers is a concern, but I would guess because Sutton can't come back up until next Tuesday, and the fact that Lester may not eat up innings and they may need a long reliever (without Aceves available), he may only be here for a day and then they may recall someone line Nava until either a trade is made or until Sutton comes back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Drew headed for DL tomorrow. Should Theo make a trade to replace him?:
    nickcafardo JD DREW has been experiencing some shoulder discomfort nickcafardo No obvious replacement for J.D. Drew if he goes on DL tomorrow. Sox may be trying to deal for OF. Update: by Sean McAdam/CSNNE: Outfielder J.D. Drew will be placed on the disabled list Monday with an impingement in his left shoulder, according to a baseball source. Drew hasn't been in the lineup since the Red Sox returned home from their six-game road trip to Tampa Bay and Baltimore. It's unknown how long he'll be out of the lineup. In the last week or so, Drew has lost playing time as the Sox continue to find playing time for Josh Reddick, who is hitting .358. The Red Sox will use Drew's DL placement as a way to get Jon Lester back onto the active roster. Lester has been sidelined for the last three weeks with a lat pull, but is scheduled to return to the rotation Monday night in the first game of a four-game series wit5h Kansas City. The move will leave with the Red Sox with just four outfielders -- Reddick, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury and Darnell McDonald -- though Yamaico Navarro, an infielder, is capable of playing the outfield. Drew going on the DL also means that pitcher Kyle Weiland, who made two spot starts in Lester's place, will remain with the Red Sox, at least for the time being. The prevailing though was that Weiland would return to Pawtucket when Lester returned, but he was up in the seventh inning in the bullpen Sunday. Weiland was a closer at Notre Dame and is no stranger to pitching in relief, though he has started exclusively since turning pro. "It's about what I remember (in terms of) getting ready in college -- the mentality and all that," said Weiland said of pitching in relief. "Besides that, it's obviously a different level and I have some things to learn. I'll keep talking to guys around here and figure out what it takes and make the adjustments at that time."     Weiland was unsure how long he was going to stay when he was promoted to Pawtucket. "Whatever the role I get put in," he said, "I'm excited and I think I can do it pretty well. Once I'm out there, I think it's going to be the same game it's always been. Pitching is pitching and it's just a matter of just getting into that comfort zone."
    Posted by Mr.Bump

Younger, more athletic legs on the roster never hurt when they play like some of our kids. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Drew headed for DL tomorrow? Should Theo make a trade to replace him? : That would give them thirteen pitchers and only three bench players. It would have to be temporary.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Yeah well that wouldn't surprise me.  He already keeps 1 too many pitchers; it's not like he has a short hook.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Reddick might be another Fred Lynn. Weren't Rice and Lynn given a patient look in 1975?

Sections
Shortcuts