Drew is not the Red Sox starting SS Because He Has Never Played a single Game for the Red Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Drew is not the Red Sox starting SS Because He Has Never Played a single Game for the Red Sox

Ehhhhh......I lost interest at 'Peter'.......

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Drew is not the Red Sox starting SS Because He Has Never Played a single Game for the Red Sox

I read the first sentence. The rest is meaningless opinionated fluff.

Iggy is the starting SS because of injury. If Drew never got plunked in the melon, Iggy would be in AAA. Those are facts.

I would agree that if Iggy does well in AAA after Drew returns, he may find himself back in Boston if they decide to deal Drew.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Iggy is the starting SS because of injury. If Drew never got plunked in the melon, Iggy would be in AAA. Those are facts.

I would agree that if Iggy does well in AAA after Drew returns, he may find himself back in Boston if they decide to deal Drew.

I feel bad for softy. It sounds like he was losing sleep over the fact Drew was referred to as the starting SS, yet in game 1, Iggy started. Poor guy must have been pacing the floor for hours and hours trying to put 2-and-2 together.

Then hit him -- Drew didn't start, so he's not the starting SS. I hope he didn't hurt himself rushing to the computer to type up that post so the rest of us could be so enlightened.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's an interesting situation.  Nobody expected Iggy to hit .294 in spring followed with 3 hits in the opener.  At the moment it doesn't look like a great idea to replace him with Drew.  But they gotta do something with Drew.  Oh well, that's why they get paid the big bucks.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I feel bad for softy. It sounds like he was losing sleep over the fact Drew was referred to as the starting SS, yet in game 1, Iggy started. Poor guy must have been pacing the floor for hours and hours trying to put 2-and-2 together.

Then hit him -- Drew didn't start, so he's not the starting SS. I hope he didn't hurt himself rushing to the computer to type up that post so the rest of us could be so enlightened.

LMAO! good one Roy

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Red Sox managment shill returns. Drew isn't the starting SS because he earned it over Iglesias, it's because stupid managment doesn't want to look stupid by having a 10 million guy sitting on the bench behind a young 2M guy. Much easier to sweep it under the rug by sending Iglesias back to the minors and carting S. Drew out of the dumpster.

The reality is that "if they decide to deal Drew" is a pipe dream. Drew's trade value is nearly zero, and won't be much higher if some team loses a SS to injury.

"Those are the facts" are not facts. Managment decisions are judgments, not facts. And they are quite good at showing ineptitudes, which is now manifest in a 10 million dollar elephant that will disrupt a new Red Sox team that provides great defense to improve the pitching staff.

Management needs to hire Jack Welch as a consultant and stop embarrassing itself with 10 million dollars worth of beans and bean counting that have nothing to do with putting the best team on the field during a season that is just getting started.

Drew needs to get on that bench and earn a starting spot, which I'm quite sure, on the merits, he's not capable of doing.

No, hes the starting SS because Iggy did nothing last year to make them feel comfortable in just handing him the starting job. Drew was insurance and was GIVEN the starting job because hes a proven MLB SS, but he is also expendable if they can find a trade partner. If Iggy didnt do well and nobody else was signed you would be whining that the "incompetent" Sox FO didnt have a back up plan.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One of the most  pointless  threads in history,  and that's  saying  something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bane_Capital's comment:

Drew & Carp are the new targets of Softy's Two Minutes of Hate. He misses Wake and Tek so much he's reduced to attacking the guy on the DL with a concussion and the last guy on the bench who cost us nothing. His next thread will be about the janitor in Pawtucket and his union slug wheelchair contract.

Softy is entitled to his opinion about Iggy (or about anyone else on the team). There are some good arguements in favor of Iggy staying up and remaining as the everyday SS. I don't happen to agree with that approach, but its really not that unreasonable an opinion.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Peter Ham keeps referring to Drew as "Red Sox SS". He's not the Red Sox SS as he's never played a single game for the Red Sox at SS.

Now, Iggy earned the job with better play, before Drew was hit in the head, and he's playing better than Drew was when he was being pulled out of the proverbial reject dumpster.

Now, since the Red Sox management foolishly wasted 10M on Drew, they set the market at 10M for this kind of player. That doesn't mean that Drew has to become the starting SS without doing anything to earn it. It means that Iglesias is a good value at 2M. Drew is a terrible value at 10M, as a fragile high miles player who is only playing SS because a lot of GM's want to focus more on hitting at SS.

At the end of the day, what should have happened is S. Drew on another team's payroll. But now that he's on the Red Sox books, what his role is on this team shouldn't factor his costs in, at all!

Drew should now have to start in a bench role. Carp should be DFA, as he offers nothing that Nava doesn't already offer. And please, don't use that stupid word "upside" with Carp!

Before Iglesias should be demoted and pink slipped back to the minors, Drew should have to preform well in a bench role and Iglesias should have to be so poor in his total PA's that his OBP is down near .200 or worse.

Until that time, Drew has better value in a bench role. He's a decent pinch hit option for Iglesias, Bradley, Gomes and Shane. And he's a better 1st base option than Carp or Nava. And don't tell me he can't play first base because he's never played there. Any middle infielder can play first base, defensively, better than almost every first baseman. 

Who cares what Drew is being paid. Lowell was paid more to be a back bencher, and, yes, he complained about himself wasting a roster spot. In this case, Drew won't be a wasted roster spot becuase he fits in a bench role.

And don't start in with "we can't have 1 first baseman and 4 middle infielders". Both Iglesias and Ciriaco are RH hitters. Until Ortiz returns, the Red Sox should keep Nava as the 4th OF'er while Gomes DH's. 

When Ortiz returns, Gomes should become the 4th OF'er and RH pinch hitter, and Nava should be optioned back to AAA. He should have option left, but running him through waivers this early in the season should be a breeze to get him back to the minors for OF injury depth.

Drew is a huge upgrade over Carp. Red Sox pitching needs Iglesias, who, despite the media and fans not noticing, was making chances look easy on a group of chances where the batter would have reached on at least one of them. Drew should be the backup SS and backup 1st baseman.  Salty would be the emergency backup 1st baseman. After Ortiz returns, Ciriaco should be the pinch runner, backup for Pedroia's days off, and emergency 5th corner OF'er.    

Ciriaco, Bradley and Iglesias are The Engergy and Enthusiam for this team. Lazy and going through the motions with no emotion has been the embarrassing Red Sox brank for nearly a half a decade.

Avoid the bean counting until such time as this team is out or in, early. Do not show incompetence by sending Iglesias down when S. Drew has done nothing to earn anything but a bench job, and do not send Bradley down for Ortiz, just to bean count.

On bean counting on Bradley, see my comment about how tenuous that though is at this stage of the season. Simply understand that it takes a big leap just to assume Bradley is still here, able and playing really well in 7 years, but if he is, it simply means that his last year of arbitration cost would still be at least 10 to 15 million vs. his 1st year of FA base at 16 to 21M. If Bradley is that good at that time, the differeince is embarrassingly petty. And if the Red Sox management doesn't want to give him a 5 to 7 year base 16 to 21 deal, they most certainly should have an adequate young farm replacement by that time.

The reality is that Bradley is profile whose best years will be from age now to age 28. The notion that speed players have their best years in their early 30's is utterly absurd.

B I N G O   !!!!   As DAD would say.............  "SON, that SOFTY is a GENUIS, in baseball too "!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I for one wait the Drew era to begin. He could be the best SS the team has had since 04, then next year you got Xander ready to take over.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I for one wait the Drew era to begin. He could be the best SS the team has had since 04, then next year you got Xander ready to take over.

i agree. his ceiling is one of the best offensive SSs in the league (.280/.350 with 50XBH) with solid defense. Iggys ceiling is .250/.290 with 10 XBH and GG defense. i'd rather have the former than the latter. I also think it's more likely the former occurs than the latter.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I think it's clear that the Drew era is over. Aside from having problems being able to work, this veteran reject has been pulled out of a lot of dumpsters. He's always been a sorry excuse for an everyday SS on defense, and his entire career plate work amount to a tiny portion of his entire career.

Iglesias outplayd S. Drew in every way, before he was hit on the head. Couldn't be any worse to the team than to send Iglesias back to the minors and stick this one year mercenary out there and pretend that he can hit his way into improving the current Red Sox team.

As for Bogaerts, he's no SS, despite the latest Red Sox managment attempt to find a slugging SS.

I dont know what your complaining about softy. This is a win-win situation. If drew comes back and does good and so does iggy being down at triple A, we can trade drew for a hefty ransom to a SS needy team... From what iive heard and have been hearing is that drew is one of the best SS at the routine play.. He's not gonna make plays that make you ooh and ahh but if its hit at him or near him 99/100 he's gonna make the play... And by the way Drew has never been "pulled out of many dumpsters" so just stop it, hes played for two teams his whole career.. The diamondbacks who drafted him and the A's who traded for him.. So chill out have a beer and you may be pleasantly surprised at what drew can do. 

Id also love to hear an explanation as to why you think Xander isnt a SS... And dont say because he's "too tall"... Doesnt work. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think it's clear that the Drew era is over. Aside from having problems being able to work, this veteran reject has been pulled out of a lot of dumpsters. He's always been a sorry excuse for an everyday SS on defense, and his entire career plate work amount to a tiny portion of his entire career.

Iglesias outplayd S. Drew in every way, before he was hit on the head. Couldn't be any worse to the team than to send Iglesias back to the minors and stick this one year mercenary out there and pretend that he can hit his way into improving the current Red Sox team.

As for Bogaerts, he's no SS, despite the latest Red Sox managment attempt to find a slugging SS.

Drew is a plus defender regardless of what you try to convince other people. He had a horrible ankle injury that basically cost him two years of his career. You want to dump an AllStar for a guy who had 3 infield hits. This is beyond silly. Maybe if Iggy is killing in June you make move then not now. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

"veteran reject" ? .......SD isn't a bad SS

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts