Drew makes a difference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Drew makes a difference

Nice game by Drew. Yes, he didn't get a hit, but he did manage to walk after being down by 2 strikes. And he scored as well. I'll add, nice sac fly the night before.

His defense IMO has definitely made a difference in how the Cardinals games are played. That jump catch in the air he somehow managed was awesome, and he was able to rob Molina of a base hit.

Let's give credit where credit is due. I LOVE having him at SS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Drew makes a difference

Oh, and from what I understand by fans on Twitter, Drew's walk started a good inning. And let's not forget, had it not been for the weather, that long ball he hit goes out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

His defense this year has definitely made a difference.  In the postseason he was a better SS than Iglesias, hard as that is to believe, but it's true.

Last night three different Sox drove in runs, and three other Sox scored runs--despite striking out 14 times. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Drew is struggling with the stick but is playing gold glove SS. All he can do is keep swinging...hopefully he gets a knock or two in game 6.

One could argue that his walk last night changed the outcome of the game, it was a huge at bat and a good take with two strikes moving Bogaerts into scoring poistion then the double by Ross scoring Bogaerts allowed Lester to hit with Lester dealing and with a very manageable pitch count. ..if the score's tied with runners on second and third Napoli likely pinch hits and there's no guarantees but had we plated the go ahead run they'd have needed 6 outs from the pen.

Great win by our boys and Drew has certainly played a key role in our run prevention and dispite struggling with the stick has contributed to both of the wins in St. Louis sac fly and the walk...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew is struggling with the stick but is playing gold glove SS. All he can do is keep swinging...hopefully he gets a knock or two in game 6.

One could argue that his walk last night changed the outcome of the game, it was a huge at bat and a good take with two strikes moving Bogaerts into scoring poistion then the double by Ross scoring Bogaerts allowed Lester to hit with Lester dealing and with a very manageable pitch count. ..if the score's tied with runners on second and third Napoli likely pinch hits and there's no guarantees but had we plated the go ahead run they'd have needed 6 outs from the pen.

Great win by our boys and Drew has certainly played a key role in our run prevention and dispite struggling with the stick has contributed to both of the wins in St. Louis sac fly and the walk...

[/QUOTE]

No question. Drew is a big reason the Sox are 1 game away from celebration.

Those that want him benched clearly have a low baseball IQ.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes going to get a big hit before its all over to go along with that stellar defense this post season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hes going to get a big hit before its all over to go along with that stellar defense this post season.

[/QUOTE]

He's working up to it. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I know he can't hit, but I love this guy.  He's playing some awesome defense for the Sox!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the Drew boys can play some slick D.  JD was underappreciated for his defense too.

Stephen has saved runs.  and joins the entire team not named Ortiz or Bogaerts in not hitting this postseason......he has alot of company in the BA basement....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have admitted many times I had misjudged Drew's defensive capabilities last winter and into the start of the season. He has been a big plus on defense, and SS defense is a huge part of this game.

It was nice to see him drive one to the RF wall last night, and the big walk was a key to our win.

Drew has certainly shown many posters here how SS fielding is worth way more than SS offense. I thank him for that. I thank him for helping us get where we are today.

Drew makes a difference for sure!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the Drew boys can play some slick D.  JD was underappreciated for his defense too.

Stephen has saved runs.  and joins the entire team not named Ortiz or Bogaerts in not hitting this postseason......he has alot of company in the BA basement....

[/QUOTE]

You re exactly right.  Not much difference if he batted like .075 while Salty, Victorino, Nava, Napoli, Ellsbury, etc who are all batting .200 or less in the WS.  

Farrell just put the best defense on the field, and it paid it off!!!

Go sox

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It usually does!

(I'm not sure Gomes and Nava are the best, but with Shane out, he had little choice.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice game by Drew. Yes, he didn't get a hit, but he did manage to walk after being down by 2 strikes. And he scored as well. I'll add, nice sac fly the night before.

His defense IMO has definitely made a difference in how the Cardinals games are played. That jump catch in the air he somehow managed was awesome, and he was able to rob Molina of a base hit.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Kim, 

I guess that leap goes against the old theory that white men can't jump. I know I'm white as a sheet and never could jump, but thankfully Drew can.

Cheers,

Hetch 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It usually does!

(I'm not sure Gomes and Nava are the best, but with Shane out, he had little choice.)

[/QUOTE]

Better than using Salty at the plate, and Bogaerts at the SS and Papi at 1B.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's it! He's got to be four feet in the air! Amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Kim, 

I guess that leap goes against the old theory that white men can't jump. I know I'm white as a sheet and never could jump, but thankfully Drew can.

Cheers,

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

LOL, Hetch. Definitely not true anymore. You should give it another try. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury has an .811 postseason OPS and is 6 for 12 with RISP.

Pretty amazing that besides those 3, all others don't even have an OBP above .320

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The truth is a team can have very few hits in a game and it's not good, but when they're bumbling plays on the field, that's when you know they don't have it together. Defense matters, and it's even more important in the post season when great teams are playing great teams, and games are won by very few runs -- sometimes just one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pitching and defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pitching and defense.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The media doesn't pay much attention to defense because it's not nearly as sexy as hitting homeruns or grand slams. Fans of the game however..know that defense is equally if not more important than offense. That play Drew made the other night was masterful..and I don't know too many other SS's who would have made that play. That was a game saver. I don't care if Drew doesn't hit. His defensive skills are too valuable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The media doesn't pay much attention to defense because it's not nearly as sexy as hitting homeruns or grand slams. Fans of the game however..know that defense is equally if not more important than offense. That play Drew made the other night was masterful..and I don't know too many other SS's who would have made that play. That was a game saver. I don't care if Drew doesn't hit. His defensive skills are too valuable.

[/QUOTE]
    But you re right that the media wouldnt pay attention at drew at all.  What if we all saw Drew playing great in the first two post season series and the first two games of the WS (of course he played great), and  Farrell decide to take him out of the line up cuz of his terrible hitting.   Then these medias would be all excite seeing a talent Bogaerts playing at the SS and of course at the plate too.  And suddenly Bogaerts couldnt get his job done at the SS such as he fail to get the runner out at 1b or possible misplay some balls, media would be all over Bogaerts no matter how good he will hit if Boston loses the series.

Good thing Drew stays there while good thing Bogaerts stays at 3b to make Bogaerts to look good at defensively and of course to make him to stay confortable at the plate.  Had Bogaerts play SS, who know he ll struggle at the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

I've eaten crow, thanks to Mr. Drew, and so glad of it.  Just put a bunch of spices and BBQ sauce to make it palatable!

Seriously, Drew with his defense has solidified a key position in the field.  That leaping grab was outstanding.  As someone said, the Drew boys may not have hit as we would like but they sure can play good D.  Here's to more of that today to bring home the third trophy within 10 years!

2013 World Series Champs, 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't care if Drew doesn't hit. His defensive skills are too valuable.

It seems a lot of posters here have come around to this way of thinking recently, however, for years and years many have argued against the philosophy of great glove-no hit SSs.

The SS position is so important defensively that a great fielding SS can more than make up for going 1 for 4 or 1 for 5 by taking away a hit or two every 1-2 games. The numbers show that some SSs make 100-120 more plays a year than others. While it is hard to prove that other factors did not highly influence those disparities, the fact remains: some SSs make many many plays that few others can only make in their dreams.

Drew has surprised me with his defense all year, and he seems to have stepped up his defense even more so this postseason. While the catch of the linedrive going over his head was very nice, I think the one where he dove to his left after several steps, popped up and threw out the runner at first was the best I've seen from him all year. And, I watch SS defense like a hawk.

Sections
Shortcuts