Drew on pace for $77m

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Drew on pace for $77m

Many fans have been slow to embrace the defensive metrics, fair enough.  Some folks even question OPS, but still focus on the RBI. Even fewer probably accept that OBP is slightly more valuable than SLG.

Trying to change minds is probably a waste of time.

As of today both Fangraphs  and  BballRef have him nearing $60m as a Sox.
    Fangraphs have him on pace, with his decent ( 119OPS+) start, to end up a tick over $77m.

ayerWAR/posFromToAgeGPAOPS
    1Carl Yastrzemski88.71961198321-43330813991.841
    2Dwight Evans61.11972199020-38250510240.842
    3Rice41.51974198921-3620899058.854
    4Reggie Smith32.61966197321-2810144264.826
    5Manny Ramirez31.22001200829-3610834682.999
    6Fred Lynn29.71974198022-288283513.902
    7Mike Greenwell23.51985199621-3212695166.831
    8Trot Nixon20.51996200622-329823829.845
    9Ellis Burks16.71987200422-397333132.796
    10J.D. Drew13.52007201031-345252093.853

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Drew on pace for $77m

Unfortunately, Ellsbury doesn't have those defensive skills. Crawford is a little better, but has always been highly overrated by most fans and the Red Sox GM. Drew had already delivered on the big stage, and has played more games on average than a lot of players that people thing are tougher. For what he hasn't done in slugging, he's certainly held his own as productive good FA value with his defense and OBP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Drew on pace for $77m:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately, Ellsbury doesn't have those defensive skills. Crawford is a little better, but has always been highly overrated by most fans and the Red Sox GM. Drew had already delivered on the big stage, and has played more games on average than a lot of players that people thing are tougher. For what he hasn't done in slugging, he's certainly held his own as productive good FA value with his defense and OBP.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Good one GM. You really had me going there for a minute!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Every day I start out "on pace" to be a lot of things.

By noontime or sometimes earlier , those things are all shot to hell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: Drew on pace for $77m:
    [QUOTE]Every day I start out "on pace" to be a lot of things. By noontime or sometimes earlier , those things are all shot to hell.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    If by 4 pm, though, you're still on pace to do everything you set out to do, then I'd say you're doing pretty well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I even have days when I surpass my highest expectations, though they are few.

But , according to my boss, I am always still on pace to get the same amount in my paycheck.

Funny how pro sports doesn't mirror real life.

If I could sign a 7 year contract for $65 million with a $2 million signing bonus, an option year, free travel to and from home, medical expenses , use of training facilities, retire at 38 yrs. old, etc. , I'd be "on pace" for a very happy rest of my life.

All this without having to be productive until the 'contract year.' We are seeing this way too often. Which is why I would not be surprised to see Drew,Ortiz, Papelbon and Daisuke have very good seasons in 2011.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

I think I am, therefore I am.I think." -George Carlin.

Zillagod,

This was quoted by The Moody Blues on their "In Search Of The Lost Chord" album Before George Carlin used it. In retrospect ballplayers are like any other human in that once the goal is reached the need to excel diminishes. The difference in the great players is that their goal is to be the best, not the richest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Drew is no Dewey Evans or go back even further , JD is no Jackie Jensen. He was overpaid, never lived up to his paycheck, but he was never controversial. He did his job, kept his mouth shut, never caused any problems, so yes, he wasn't a bust, but he was no Yaz, Rice, Lynn or Teddy ballgame. But then again they were special, and J.D. Drew was not.

Drew did some good things, but by and large he was average at best. He will sail off into the sunset a very wealthy man. Good for him, he will never be rated in Boston's elite performers, but who cares, J.D doesn't that's for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

JD Drew was indeed a drama-free and cool/calm and collected athlete.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I enjoy watching Drew play and I'm going to miss him.  I especially enjoy the way he glides to the ball and makes difficult catches look easy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamithink. Show iamithink's posts

"j.d.drew was indeed a drama-free and cool/calm and collected athlete."

drama-free: that is correct; drew provided little or no drama for SOX fans.
    cool/calm: that is also correct;  having little or no interest in what you are being paid to do, makes one appear to be cool/calm.
    collected athlete: the only thing drew collected, besides FLYS, was an unearned
    paycheck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew has 19 RBI in 28 playoff games for the Red Sox, including the grand slam in 2007 and 3 big late-inning hits in 2008.  People tend to overlook how good he's been in the postseason.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many free agents never live up to the expectations for several reasons, most notably becaus they are at the tail end of their prime when signed.

Drew has played more than I expected.
    Drew has about the numbers I expected.
    The amount of Drew bashing on this site is not quite what I expected.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I remember one important grand slam in 07.  JD  hasnt killed his team and I like the way he works a count and makes a pitcher throw extra pitches. It doesnt show up in the box score, but i would like to see some of the others work the count a little.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I will never let any logic, rational or "statistics" deter me from believing what I want to think I know is true.  Screw OPS and OBP I want to see RUNS and HR's!!!  And I want personality!!! J.D. Drew no passion!!! Manny Ramirez...Too much personality.