Drew RISING?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Drew RISING?

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

I don't really care how much he is paid. 

I'm happy for Drew - but it's a Drew family trait to have flashes of brilliance surrounded by mediocre underperformance.

Maybe he'll hit .295 and have a great year - it would be a pleasant surprise.

Last year he was awful and no one else wanted him - but maybe.

He was returning for a year long serious ankle injury. Most people figured it would take some time to get in the swing of things and get his timing back. Except the ones that use those years to plea their case against him.

Some, like me, looked at his production from 2008-2010 and not 2 incomplete years caused by a bad injury. His only one of his career.

Hes basically an .800 OPS SS who plays above average defense. THAT is a much better option than Iggy right now. hes been hitting the ball great since 4/22. About the time he had the amount of AB's one would have by the end of ST.

Since then hes 13-41 BA.319 OBP.396 SLG.585 OPS.981

He'll cool down a little for sure, but batting about .280 with a 350OBP and 800+OPS is very realistic for him this year.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I think so!!!!   :)

I have been calling for him to go along with salty and middlebrooks. Last nite certainly gave me pause and I am going to shut it down on him for awhile. If he has a couple more games like this and can get up to 250 I will be with him. As of now I owe Stephen an apology and I do apologize.

his ops in now .981 since 4/22...where have you been? hes been improving for 2 weeks now. One bad game and you get all irrational about things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to trantor's comment:

Shumpeter said above that he was trying to be funny and should not be taken seriously. Why bother responding to something that wasn't a serious opinion?

why not post about baseball? troll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I have been a Drew supporter all year.  His swing is just too good for him not to hit.  He has a good eye at the plate.  I was disappointed when he struck out looking last night with a man on third and one out when all he had to do was hit a grounder to the right side.  It was nice to see him come through with the homer and then the game winning wall ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I have been a Drew supporter all year.  His swing is just too good for him not to hit.  He has a good eye at the plate.  I was disappointed when he struck out looking last night with a man on third and one out when all he had to do was hit a grounder to the right side.  It was nice to see him come through with the homer and then the game winning wall ball.

He has such a good eye, like his brother, he is sometimes going to do that. Its a great quality, yet a curse at times.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to trantor's comment:

Shumpeter said above that he was trying to be funny and should not be taken seriously. Why bother responding to something that wasn't a serious opinion?

That isn't even close to what I said.  Your dishonesty is equally matched by your dimness.

The point was that Stephen Drew is not very good and a poor choice as an everyday shortstop.  the joke was the reference to his big brother JD who drove bostonians crazy with inconsistent play.

You should know something about consistency.  despite being banned 37 times - you are consistently back and consistently boring.

Now come back with something clever about pink hats.  You are so original.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Some, like me, looked at his production from 2008-2010 and not 2 incomplete years caused by a bad injury. His only one of his career.

When you say "some" you must be referring to every team in baseball not named the Red Sox.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Ben Cherrington is GM and is extremely intelligent and well respected by his peers. He needed a backup in the event that Iggy could not hit major league pitching. He went after the best that was out there based on his history before his broken ankle. Drew was paid $8 mil. last yr. so a raise to $9.5 mil. is not unreasonable. 

Why not hope for the best instead of wish for the worst. Sox fans normally are hopeful and optimistic. Only those who enjoy trolling and toying with forum posters would want Drew to fail.  The forum already is top heavy with those who seem to hate their team.

Everyone hopes for the best.

You do realize that part of discussing sports is actually discussing reality, right?

We don't say "ooh I hope it rains marshmallows and money at fenway today, so we all get treats and cash and I hope David Ortiz his 19 Homeruns in one game!  And Anyone who disagrees hates the Sox and loves the Yankees!"

It is borderline psychotic to not allow for criticism or even rational discussion about the quality of Sox players.

It's okay to root for Drew while at the same time intellectually realizing he is a pretty poor option at SS, isn't it?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When you say "some" you must be referring to every team in baseball not named the Red Sox.

If that were the case, then the sox wouldnt have taken him and every other team would have. Hes a solid SS. Not sure why some cant see the obvious...Is it the Drew name?

Oh look, another base hit....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If that were the case, then the sox wouldnt have taken him and every other team would have. Hes a solid SS. Not sure why some cant see the obvious...Is it the Drew name?

Great point. Glad that I didn't say that since RSDD and the one-liner guy would be all over me.

Pike,

Nobody need "get all over you," as you are THE BOARD JOKE.  We are content to openly mock you.  :)

All anybody needs to say anymore is "Pike," and we all get it.  How does it feel to be the biggest joke on the board.  A bigger joke than either Stiffy or Billy-69, which is really saying something.

ALL YOU DO is 'concern troll,' day and night, with MULITPLE IDENTITIES no less.  It's truly pathetic.   The most hillarious thing being that you actually take yourself seriously.  I don't even think Stiffy takes himself this seriously?  But you????   You actually buy your own BS.  LOL    Almost frightening?

You've got to be one of the loneliest  people in the U.S., given the self-deception involved in maintaining obvious multiple personalities, all while completely ignoring the fact that everyone knows ALL your identities.  It's got to be one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.  You are tweaked!

The level of stupidity involved in thinking you're fooling everyone, all while being called on your little ruse 24/7 by virtually every poster on the board is stunning......  Even the half-wits on the board are well acquainted with your bizzare self-deception.

As a licensed professional in the field of mental health, I think you should ......  take some time to "reassess your life."  Perhaps "take a vacation from life stressors."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why paint yourself into a corner on Drew. How are convinced that he will have a bad year. What logic is this based on?  You sound TOTALLY cinvinced that Drew is terrible. Why not watch each game - do you? Has he been hitting the ball hard for weeks? Did he miss spring training. Cut him sime slack. Be patient.

In respect to Bailey last year, the ONLY logical opinion was to have NO opinion since he was on the DL or not ready to pitch last Sept. Everyone else said " The jury is still out" and that was reasonable and logical. Only the obstinate / headstrong would think otherwise. What you had was an opinion on a player NOT playing.  Why paint yourself into a corner? Is BDC giving you a debate card and telling you to argue a point that can't possibly be argued?  When Bailey was doing well recently, where were you?

I'm not painting myself into anything.  Are you alright in the head?

I have an OPINION.  Feel free to disagree.

My opinion is not based on "hating" the red sox, the cioty of Boston, Stephen Drew, or Tequila commericials.

Th eguy is a mediocre ball player coming off terrible seasons.

If he hits .300, I will be very happy for him and the Sox.  I just don't expect that.

I'd rather have Iglesias playing alll year - as the Sox have very little chance of winning the WS - we can end the speculation about Iggy if we let him play.  There is no reason to not find out.

Now there will be multiple posts about how insane it is to think Iggy can play at the ML level.  I will not respond to any of those posts by claiming that the person who thinks Iggy is a AAA talent .  i will not say:

"Why do you HATE Iggy?  Boo Hoo!  You are a big mean Yankee fan who hates the Red Sox and wishes for them to lose!  You are always saying terrible things about Iggy because you hate hate hate"

Grow up, will you please?  Just grow up.

Drew is a mediocre SS that no other team wanted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Totally irrelevant and unsupportable statement.  Just because you didn't see any stories about a bidding war for Drew doesn't mean there weren't other teams interested in him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why paint yourself into a corner on Drew. How are convinced that he will have a bad year. What logic is this based on?  You sound TOTALLY cinvinced that Drew is terrible. Why not watch each game - do you? Has he been hitting the ball hard for weeks? Did he miss spring training. Cut him sime slack. Be patient.

In respect to Bailey last year, the ONLY logical opinion was to have NO opinion since he was on the DL or not ready to pitch last Sept. Everyone else said " The jury is still out" and that was reasonable and logical. Only the obstinate / headstrong would think otherwise. What you had was an opinion on a player NOT playing.  Why paint yourself into a corner? Is BDC giving you a debate card and telling you to argue a point that can't possibly be argued?  When Bailey was doing well recently, where were you?

I'm not painting myself into anything.  Are you alright in the head?

I have an OPINION.  Feel free to disagree.

My opinion is not based on "hating" the red sox, the cioty of Boston, Stephen Drew, or Tequila commericials.

Th eguy is a mediocre ball player coming off terrible seasons.

If he hits .300, I will be very happy for him and the Sox.  I just don't expect that.

I'd rather have Iglesias playing alll year - as the Sox have very little chance of winning the WS - we can end the speculation about Iggy if we let him play.  There is no reason to not find out.

Now there will be multiple posts about how insane it is to think Iggy can play at the ML level.  I will not respond to any of those posts by claiming that the person who thinks Iggy is a AAA talent .  i will not say:

"Why do you HATE Iggy?  Boo Hoo!  You are a big mean Yankee fan who hates the Red Sox and wishes for them to lose!  You are always saying terrible things about Iggy because you hate hate hate"

Grow up, will you please?  Just grow up.

Yup, just like Beltre a few years ago. It was  great "make good" deal like Beltres was. Drew has been a .800OPS SS with above average defense who had a terrible ankle injury that sidelined him for over a year. The Sox were smart enough to realize that Iggy still cant hit the water if he fell off a boat and signed Drew in a FA year. He made 8M last year, so 9.5M for one year is not as bas as some here think...