Drew to Start in Game 3

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Re: Drew to Start in Game 3

If the games end up 9-7 or 12-10 or something like that, it makes sense to expect productivity from every position in the lineup.

With good pitching on both sides and runs are a premium, defense command a bigger premium.  If you count all the runs that Drew prevents with his gloves, that's more valuable than a good bat with poor defense.

We all saw what lost the game for Sox yesterday, and for the Cards the day before - poor defense, none from Drew.  That is what is becoming the difference for both teams in this series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to drewpinchhitforagainstrhp's comment:

"Stephen has played great defense that we value so highly for our SS positon, and he can hit zero for all I care. He's our starter, and I only pinch hit for him last night because he pulled a muscle sprinting to first. But he told me after the final out that it felt better, so I expect he'll start hitting like the good hitter I know Stephen Drew is".  -- John Farrell 

Wow, on the eve of Game 3, I can't believe I'm reading this. When will this nightmare end!

I agree. I prefer a good hit bad glove type.

Like Iglesias.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:

If the games end up 9-7 or 12-10 or something like that, it makes sense to expect productivity from every position in the lineup.

With good pitching on both sides and runs are a premium, defense command a bigger premium.  If you count all the runs that Drew prevents with his gloves, that's more valuable than a good bat with poor defense.

We all saw what lost the game for Sox yesterday, and for the Cards the day before - poor defense, none from Drew.  That is what is becoming the difference for both teams in this series.

I agree with this, but then if that is the case, it is time to play Middlebrooks over Boegey....Boegaarts spark seems to have dimmed and Middy is a far better 3B....maybe due to more experience, but for now he is..I am old fashined....I think we should be going with who got us to the dance....my Game 3 Lineup....Ells, Vic, Pedroia, Papi, Nava, Middlebrooks , Drew, Ross and Peavy....Ross over Salty because Salty looks overwhelmed and out of sorts.....and again we go with Defense for our pitchers.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Poor Softy.  No wonder he's so crazy.  Always things being done that he doesn't want done. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Softy is so pathetic it is truly sad. despised, banned, always wrong, a known racist, and yet he crawls back to where nobody wants him due to such an empty worthless life

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Softy is so pathetic it is truly sad. despised, banned, always wrong, a known racist, and yet he crawls back to where nobody wants him due to such an empty worthless life

Pretty accurate.

The only thing is though I like him around here. Nothing more fun than a fail troll to kick around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 11m

Farrell made a passionate defense of Drew, citing his fielding. He's the SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

So Farrell is goin to bench Middlebrooks at will (no pun intended) but Drew can start regardless????  that is idiocy - Middlebrooks has far more upside and the team has far better options with a WM/XB rightside than with any combo w/Drew starting....and last time I checked he is a one year mercenary....

maybe John Farrell is pulling a Francona.....Drew should be sitting and Clay should not be starting any game.....we have Felix and Dempster...those arms are fresh and more importantly they WANT to start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

So Farrell is goin to bench Middlebrooks at will (no pun intended) but Drew can start regardless????  that is idiocy - Middlebrooks has far more upside and the team has far better options with a WM/XB rightside than with any combo w/Drew starting....and last time I checked he is a one year mercenary....

maybe John Farrell is pulling a Francona.....Drew should be sitting and Clay should not be starting any game.....we have Felix and Dempster...those arms are fresh and more importantly they WANT to start.

Well, Drew's defense has been valuable.  Why he can't lay down a bunt though is besides me.

Doubrant - yes.  Dempster?  Very scary proposition.....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Exactly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I agree with this, but then if that is the case, it is time to play Middlebrooks over Boegey....Boegaarts spark seems to have dimmed and Middy is a far better 3B....maybe due to more experience, but for now he is..I am old fashined....I think we should be going with who got us to the dance....my Game 3 Lineup....Ells, Vic, Pedroia, Papi, Nava, Middlebrooks , Drew, Ross and Peavy....Ross over Salty because Salty looks overwhelmed and out of sorts.....and again we go with Defense for our pitchers.  

Agree 100% with both of you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Drew is batting well below the Mendoza line. He is totally useless at the plate. His defense has been good, not excellent. Unfortunately its either him or Middlebrooks who plays, and Middlebrooks is even MORE useless IMO. So it goes in the playoffs; good pitching trumps mediocre hitting. Its MUCH more important that Peavy and Day to Day Clay pitch great than Drew and WMB hit the baseball, because they can't do that against good pitchers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Exactly. 

Drew has struggled against Sanchez, Scherzer, Verlander, Fister, Wainwright and Wacha.

When exactly did those guys become pitchers we expected everyone to light up?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As long as Drew hits a pop-up between Molina and the pitcher, he shall be fine.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Drew is batting well below the Mendoza line. He is totally useless at the plate. His defense has been good, not excellent. Unfortunately its either him or Middlebrooks who plays, and Middlebrooks is even MORE useless IMO. So it goes in the playoffs; good pitching trumps mediocre hitting. Its MUCH more important that Peavy and Day to Day Clay pitch great than Drew and WMB hit the baseball, because they can't do that against good pitchers.

Is it just Drew?

Through 2 games, the only Sox hitters with more than 1 hit are Ortiz and Pedroia...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's beyond the argument of his glove.  To be honest, he has been great defensively, but almost none of the plays he's made have actually "saved" runs from scoring.  He made a great play to save a run in Detroit, but that's all I can think of.  And so far in this series, he hasn't exactly had a lot of difficult balls hit to him.  Granted, to be fair, Pedey is playing great D and not exactly ripping the cover off the ball.

So tonight the Sox only get 7 batters.  Peavey and Drew will K 5 or 6 times combined.  Drew cannot even move a runner over anymore.  Enough with the Drew experiment; play Middlebrooks at third and Boegarts at SS.  Just try it.   If I'm wrong I'll eat these words, but there's no way Drew does anything in St Louis that Boegarts couldn't do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

theres nothing wrong with sitting drew for a game - you would think we were suggesting that we set him on fire the way some folks are reacting...happens all the time; hitter needs a day off and comes back fresh...game three with the series tied and away is the perfect time to sub middlebrooks for Drew...if we have the lead put Drew in for Bogey late in the game after pinch running him...

Baseball101

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to soups' comment:

It's beyond the argument of his glove.  To be honest, he has been great defensively, but almost none of the plays he's made have actually "saved" runs from scoring.  He made a great play to save a run in Detroit, but that's all I can think of.  And so far in this series, he hasn't exactly had a lot of difficult balls hit to him.  Granted, to be fair, Pedey is playing great D and not exactly ripping the cover off the ball.

So tonight the Sox only get 7 batters.  Peavey and Drew will K 5 or 6 times combined.  Drew cannot even move a runner over anymore.  Enough with the Drew experiment; play Middlebrooks at third and Boegarts at SS.  Just try it.   If I'm wrong I'll eat these words, but there's no way Drew does anything in St Louis that Boegarts couldn't do.

Here Here !   Middlebrooks at third and X at SS.  Genius move and i'll eat my words too !

Sections
Shortcuts