Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Drew

So does the Drew bashing slow down a little now since we just found out he has been battling a rotator cuff impingement??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Drew

Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew revealed this morning that the left shoulder injury that landed him on the disabled list earlier this week has been plaguing him for much of the season and required a series of injections. It's irritation in his rotator cuff.

The latest shot came a week ago.

"I'm trying to let that take effect. In the meantime I'm doing some strengthening work," Drew said.

Drew said the injury first bothered him in spring training and grew progressively worse.

"I've felt it for a while. It's one of those things that slowly, gradually taking strength out of that shoulder which has caused some bad habits," he said.

Drew has hit .219/.317/.305 this season, a slump that led to the Red Sox replacing him with Josh Reddick.

"Josh has played great, man. He's probably one of the most improved young players that I have seen," Drew said. "He went from one extreme to another. It's been fun to watch."

Drew is confident that he can return this season.

"Oh, yeah. I think so. I want to get to a point, strength-wise, when I go back out and start swinging the bat, I can kind of control that irritation hopefully and not have too much of an impact," he said. "Like I said, it created some bad habits at the plate I want to get away from my making the strength gains that I need to kind of regain where I want to be at the plate."

Drew said he had no set timetable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Drew:
    [QUOTE]So does the Drew bashing slow down a little now since we just found out he has been battling a rotator cuff impingement??????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Of course not.

Drew could go 20-for-25 over a period of five or six games with 8 HRs and 18 RBS in that stretch and there still will people starting threads to bash him.

Heck, he won't even be on the team next year and there likely will be numerous threads on him throughout the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If his shoulder was bothering him all year, why did he continually go out there and stink up the joint?

If there was a chance of him coming back next year, do you think Boras would have wanted his client to play injured? Of course not.

Given that he has no future money at stake, he played anyway, at the expense of the Red Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Drew:
    [QUOTE]So does the Drew bashing slow down a little now since we just found out he has been battling a rotator cuff impingement??????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

to be honest, what i've seen of drew this year, pretty much looks like the same disappointment that's  been here the previous 4 years.
    you don't suppose he's had the rotator impingement since 2007?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew's been groggy since he got his Seventy Million Dollars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Headstrong

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I'm just a little skeptical about report, JD has never been a gamer, this is just the Sox putting a shine to a miserable year, and providing an ongoing excuse for further benching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

what I think is funny is that fans have generally accepted that mediocrity is ok from certain players--Lackey, Drew, Crawford. Not that they are mediocre players but that their production as players as Sox have been less than their contracts suggested. So naturally bashing these guys for underperforming is to be expected. Defending them as key Red Sox players ad nauseum is also expected, but equally nauseating. Drew at least helped the Sox in a few postseason runs so far, but he hardly produced as a reg. season performer in his time with Sox. He was a strong defensive player but could have/should have produced more offensively. And yes, price of contract, whether you agree or not, has a bearing on why fans tend to start threads or seem to mount more for these type of guys than other players. Lesser priced players don't get the same scrutiny and that's again normal. Fans gravitate positively toward strong producing players who exceed their worth, and attack players who don't play up to their worth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Drew:
    [QUOTE]what I think is funny is that fans have generally accepted that mediocrity is ok from certain players--Lackey, Drew, Crawford. Not that they are mediocre players but that their production as players as Sox have been less than their contracts suggested. So naturally bashing these guys for underperforming is to be expected. Defending them as key Red Sox players ad nauseum is also expected, but equally nauseating. Drew at least helped the Sox in a few postseason runs so far, but he hardly produced as a reg. season performer in his time with Sox. He was a strong defensive player but could have/should have produced more offensively. And yes, price of contract, whether you agree or not, has a bearing on why fans tend to start threads or seem to mount more for these type of guys than other players. Lesser priced players don't get the same scrutiny and that's again normal. Fans gravitate positively toward strong producing players who exceed their worth, and attack players who don't play up to their worth.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

you had me at mediocre.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]what I think is funny is that fans have generally accepted that mediocrity is ok from certain players--Lackey, Drew, Crawford. Not that they are mediocre players but that their production as players as Sox have been less than their contracts suggested. So naturally bashing these guys for underperforming is to be expected. Defending them as key Red Sox players ad nauseum is also expected, but equally nauseating. Drew at least helped the Sox in a few postseason runs so far, but he hardly produced as a reg. season performer in his time with Sox. He was a strong defensive player but could have/should have produced more offensively. And yes, price of contract, whether you agree or not, has a bearing on why fans tend to start threads or seem to mount more for these type of guys than other players. Lesser priced players don't get the same scrutiny and that's again normal. Fans gravitate positively toward strong producing players who exceed their worth, and attack players who don't play up to their worth.

All true but why don't we ever see threads and posts about positive things (very few). Instead most threads and posts revolve around criticizing and doom and gloom. One would think that a team that leads the majors in so many offensive and defensive categories would have aforum with more joy and positive thoughts. Defending your own players seems more natural to me than criticizing. Do you go to work or elsewhere and talk down about your family on a daily basis? If your children are slow in school or in athletics do you publicly criticize them, do you give them time, excuse their learning curve or slow maturity? Why not give players time and be patient with them. The answer is that forums are a magnet and a podium for trolls and the ignorant. Everyone however ( as Georom states) has a right to come here and express their ignorance. It's a free country.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

your-echo, your children don't make 142 million dollars, do they? why do you think everyone harps on Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, and other high-price celebs?? Same idea--they make a fortune of money, so society wants more out of them. Even if they are just people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew : All true but why don't we ever see threads and posts about positive things (very few). Instead most threads and posts revolve around criticizing and doom and gloom. One would think that a team that leads the majors in so many offensive and defensive categories would have aforum with more joy and positive thoughts. Defending your own players seems more natural to me than criticizing. Do you go to work or elsewhere and talk down about your family on a daily basis? If your children are slow in school or in athletics do you publicly criticize them, do you give them time, excuse their learning curve or slow maturity? Why not give players time and be patient with them. The answer is that forums are a magnet and a podium for trolls and the ignorant. Everyone however ( as Georom states) has a right to come here and express their ignorance. It's a free country.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

"everyone has a right to come here and express their ignorance."

that's true pikester, but in your case you're abusing that right.

also,fool, there is nothing free about this country, except the freedom to be told what to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If anything the "ipingement" should make us all howl louder.

This guy came here with a reputation of being prone to nagging, silly injuries and over his Red Sox years it only got worse along with his stats.

Nothing would make me happier than if he would just go away and never come back. Easily the most disappointing player in Red Sox ( recent )history.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]your-echo, your children don't make 142 million dollars, do they? why do you think everyone harps on Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, and other high-price celebs?? Same idea--they make a fortune of money, so society wants more out of them. Even if they are just people.

When you go to the movies or watch TV are you aware of how much each actor is making? Do you demand a better performance out of House than others on that show? Do you expect Tom Hanks to be ten times better than others in his movies. Why not root for the player instead of his salary? That way, you won't subject yourself to so many disappointments. Based on your theory Yankees fans should be 40% more disappointed over recent years since their payroll was 40% higher. With only one team winning the WS then are 29 other teams overpaid and complete failures?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox are the opposite of the Patriots---they broadcast the injuries to players so their justification in DL-ing them is right. The Patriots simply won't tell you who is injured, making you guess even up to game time on Sundays. The Sox might appease the media/fans and the Patriots don't, but their is a political motive in both techniques of disclosure. The Sox have always conveniently taken a slumping player and put them on the DL---it's become such a joke that the players make sure you buy into it with quotes. Everyone is hurt or has some sort of nagging injury in baseball. So when you slump or you lose your spot in the lineup/pitching staff, you are "injured." Never see a slumping player who just slumps anymore. You have to add the DL tour so the Sox don't have to watch the player slump anymore than the guy(s) already have.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew : When you go to the movies or watch TV are you aware of how much each actor is making? Do you demand a better performance out of House than others on that show? Do you expect Tom Hanks to be ten times better than others in his movies. Why not root for the player instead of his salary? That way, you won't subject yourself to so many disappointments. Based on your theory Yankees fans should be 40% more disappointed over recent years since their payroll was 40% higher. With only one team winning the WS then are 29 other teams overpaid and complete failures?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

I do expect more from Hanks, 2 Academy Awards and a lot of failures over the last several years. I expect a lot more out of quality performers. Same with musicians. Same with politicians.  The WS analogy is if the Sox don't win, they failed. I agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The B's won the Stanley Cup, I had an enormous feeling of relief and was greatly excited by the victory. Had they lost, bottom line, the B's would be 40 years removed from a Cup and fans, like me, would be wondering will they ever win, and be disappointed when they don't. I have many arguments over the aftermath of Sox failing to win, including in the postseason. It's a crapshoot, but all the same, we enjoy '04 and '07 a lot more than '08 and '09. We enjoy 10-11 B's more than '03-04 B's. Winning does that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Patriots won 18 straight games one season, do you like that team more than the 3 SB winning teams? How many here think losing in the Super Bowl to a lesser team isn't a "failure?" Patriots and Sox established themselves as premier franchises in their respective sports, winning 5 titles between them since 2001. Not winning the SB or winning the WS is not good enough anymore. Being happy the team just makes it into the playoffs ended a long time ago for both franchises.

The B's may or may not win the Cup next season. If they make it to the Eastern Conference finals and lose, it will be disappointment, even had they not won the 11 Cup. It's a disappointment when you lose. You don't have memories and say wow what a run, huh? I can only say that about a few teams--2003 Sox, 1976 Patriots--and a few others. But that's because the circumstances of the years were such that they were exciting teams with some great performances that were memorable. I thought '09 was excruciating to watch as a fan. The 18-1 Pats team was fun to watch in the reg. season, not so fun in the playoffs, less fun as they got timid by the time they faced the Giants.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I will say that the '11 B's would have joined my list of memorable teams that didn't win that I could look back fondly of. But they won, and that just made it sweeter.

Sections
Shortcuts