Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Drew

Stephen Drew got off to a slow start due to the concussion he suffered in ST.  Since then he has been everything the Sox hoped he would be.  He has been steady in the field, making all the plays and he has hit better than any AL SS.  He SHOULD be resigned.  Also, its funny how all his haters have been shut up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Drew

7 HR and 31 RBI in 46 games since coming off the DL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

2 year 25m with a team option at 13m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

maybe one year at 12M.  can't block bogaerts for two more years

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Bogey can move to 3B and Middy to 1B, if we sign Drew again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

yeah...but i want napoli back also....bogey and middy will be here for along time....and i love it...i love drew but he is the odd man out...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew's not getting a QO - that would be what?  $14 million? 

Having said that, this is one Drew I like having on my team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Drew's not getting a QO - that would be what?  $14 million? 

Having said that, this is one Drew I like having on my team.

Drew is likely getting a QO, and if he accepts he's an easy trade.

here's what Alex Speier had to say about Drew:

"From the Red Sox' vantage point, Drew may border on no-brainer status when it comes to the qualifying offer. The 30-year-old has put up what appear to be modest numbers (a .244 average, .326 OBP and .426 slugging mark with 12 homers) this season, but those are formidable totals when considering that the AL average shortstop has hit .255/.308/.372 this year. Add in the fact that Drew has been, in the eyes of the Sox, an excellent defender in the middle of the field, and you have a player who has made good on the one-year, $9.5 million contract that the Sox conferred upon him. 

Would he accept? After all, the qualifying offer would represent a roughly 50 percent bump in salary from what Drew made last year, when there was uncertainty about his performance given that he was in the early stages of his return from a devastating ankle injury. 

That said, given that he is now healthy, that he has now answered those questions about his health and that he will still be relatively young for a free agent (getting ready for his age 31 season), Drew's inclination would seem to be to seek a longer-term deal. 

"It's going to change, definitely," Drew said of his interest in a one-year deal this winter as compared to last. "I understood the one-year deal coming off of that injury, teams not knowing how I would respond. The good thing is, going out and playing everyday, I haven't had any problems with that ankle at all, it's a good feeling. I worked very hard to get back to where I was at. It could have been a career-ending injury." 

He might not see a $14 million-a-year deal on the open market. But there is a chance that he could find a two- or three-year deal somewhere else. 

Drew is aware of the potential fragility of a career thanks to that shattered ankle that kept him out for a year. Given that Jhonny Peralta, the only other shortstop to be in Drew's performance class in this winter's free agent class, was suspended as part of the Biogenesis scandal, Drew would appear well situated relative to the market to secure a multi-year deal. 

But for the sake of argument, what if he did accept? At a time when Xander Bogaerts appears close to big league ready -- if not fully there -- would the Red Sox be comfortable bringing him back on a one-year deal for roughly $14 million? 

In all likelihood, yes. One of the most important developments of this year for the Sox was that they signed Drew to give themselves depth on the left side of the infield. That gave Jose Iglesias more time to develop in the minors, where he developed the versatility to come up and be a third baseman when Will Middlebrooks struggled. And it later positioned the Sox to deal Iglesias for Jake Peavy. "

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reeeeeally sound like he intends on taking a multi year deal, even if it's a AAV that is lower.  It's going to be about the total value of the contract as this may be his last chance at some kind of payday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm all for this move except give him 2/20

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts