Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited

A couple weeks ago, after a Cook good start, there was a vintage Bill reactionary thread asking "all us Tballers" "why can't Beckett do what Cook does?"  Cook over Beckett was a "No brainer!"  If only we had 4 Aaron Cook clones to go with Aaron Cook.

Georom championed Cook because he "doesn't give up the long ball".   OOPS!! Newsflash Geo, Cook has given up 5 long balls in his last 2 starts, Beckett hasn't allowed a HR since May 10th. 

The reality is the Red Sox probably need both Beckett and Cook the rest of the way, because Morales and Doubront face IP limits. But to all those who have dumping Beckett as the solution, I hope you got more than Cook to replace Beckett.

It should be noted that no other team wants Beckett and/or his salary and if the Red Sox eat his salary he won't be replaced in any significant way because the Red Sox aren't going over the Luxury Tax. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited

It's a joke, predictable and predicted.

The guy was largely terrible for the past 10 years, had a couple of decent starts exciting the braindead, and now is reverting to form.  His terrible, historic form.

Ciriaco's career MINOR league OPS:  .656.  Punto's career MAJOR league OPS:  .650.   But let's ignore 8+ years of history in favour of the past few weeks.  Pitiful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Cook, is this years version of Wakefield without the knuckel ball, when on he makes it look easy,but when off he looks like a BP pitcher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

You re all right about Cook is now struggling.  I wouldnt be surprise that Boston DFA Cook and pick up Derek Lowe off of the waiver!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

All of our pitchers are struggling at one time or another.  What's changed?
    New manager, new pitching coach and new catcher.   Who has the most impact on a pitcher?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited:
    [QUOTE]All of our pitchers are struggling at one time or another.  What's changed? New manager, new pitching coach and new catcher.   Who has the most impact on a pitcher?
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

The pitcher himself. What another says or suggest means nothing if the pitcher can not do it consistently. A plus 4.50 ERA of a NL pitcher was not getting better in Fenway.
    I agree far to many had him walking on water after two games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

a pitching coach has more impact on a young pitcher.  these guys are veterans (save Doobie) and know what needs to be done and how to prepare.  ultimately the pitcher is responsible. 
    Attic-dan - interesting comparison. 
    as for wishing we had 5 "Cook's" for our rotation - that is a joke, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]You re all right about Cook is now struggling.  I wouldnt be surprise that Boston DFA Cook and pick up Derek Lowe off of the waiver!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I started a thread on that same idea. Might be worth a shot. I don't know if he has anything left...but Lowe is a groundball pitcher and it always played well at Fenway....his ERA this year though is 7+...but seeing how we are trending this year..might be worth the gamble

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

COOK IS WHAT HE IS.....A "RETREAD" WHO HAS PASSED FROM
    TEAM TO TEAM. AFTER THE FOURTH OR FIFTH INNINGS, THE
    GOOD TEAMS FIGURE HIM OUT AND SCORE BIG. IF HE WAS
    THAT GOOD, HE WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH HIS FORMER TEAMS
    . WE GOT HIM CHEAPLY AND WE GOT WHAT WE PAID FOR.
    HE HAD NO BUSINESS PITCHING TO CABRERA AND FIELDER
    AFTER THE FIRST TWO PUNCH AND JUDY HITTERS GOT HITS
    OFF HIM. IT WAS CLEAR THAT HE WAS PITCHING ON VAPOR
    EVEN THEN IN THE EARLY FRAMES. IT WAS BOBBY V's  FAULT
    IN KEEPING HIM INTO PITCH TO THE BEST HITTERS IN THE AL.
    DUMB MOVE.  WE COULDA STAYED IN THE GAME, BUT FOR
    BOBBY'S BLIND FAITH OR COMPLACENCY.. I EXPECTED MORE
    FROM BOBBY !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

That's the thing about trying to make season long decisions based on a handfull of appearances.  It's nice to ride a player while he's hot, but chances are he will come back down to earth sooner rather than later.

I love what Ciriaco has done for the team so far, and I hope he can continue it for the rest of the season.  But I'm not ready to annoint him the SS or the future.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]That's the thing about trying to make season long decisions based on a handfull of appearances.  It's nice to ride a player while he's hot, but chances are he will come back down to earth sooner rather than later. I love what Ciriaco has done for the team so far, and I hope he can continue it for the rest of the season.  But I'm not ready to annoint him the SS or the future.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]awww Kimmi, does that mean i won't be getting your annual Sox ss/Jeter comp i love so much?...Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Cook is 2-5 , with a 5.24 ERA . That is all you need to know.  He should not get another start.  Let him " pitch to contact " somewhere else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Cook is 2-5 , with a 5.24 ERA . That is all you need to know.  He should not get another start.  Let him " pitch to contact " somewhere else.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Yep! Both Hr,s He Gave Up Last Night Were... />

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what kind of nonsense is this??? Cook pitched 5 innings, Beckett left after a few innings and refused to compete..oh yea it was against Verlander, when we really needed him to step up...what is Beckett's era? His salary? I think Cook compares favorably to Beckett and that in itself is all you need to know about Josh...

but the good news the BACK SPASM (singular) will not keep him from starting against the lowly Twins...what a quitter...

Cowards, this is bootlicking low even for you...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Funny.  I got a lot of flack from Team Cook when I said "careful what you wish for" after his "wow!" return to the rotation. Cook(ed) is a reminder of why this team is pretending its way to a WC.   "All bums come to earth."  Cooked has and will stay there.  At least Beckett has done well enough most of the time to keep the Sox in the game.
    Posted by ipotnyc[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is funny to go back and re-read Bill's "Cook is a no brainer over Beckett" thread and see how what has happened with Cook is exactly what many predicted.  Once that sinker ball starts staying up, Look Out!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : awww Kimmi, does that mean i won't be getting your annual Sox ss/Jeter comp i love so much?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hi Jete...is that the same Kimmi as the Kimmi from  the other boards? Just curious, if you see this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]what kind of nonsense is this??? Cook pitched 5 innings, Beckett left after a few innings and refused to compete..oh yea it was against Verlander, when we really needed him to step up...what is Beckett's era? His salary? I think Cook compares favorably to Beckett and that in itself is all you need to know about Josh... but the good news the BACK SPASM (singular) will not keep him from starting against the lowly Twins...what a quitter... Cowards, this is bootlicking low even for you...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Oh wise Georom, tell me more about how "Cook doesn't give up the long ball".

"Cook pitched 5 innings".... that is your argument?  Beckett's ERA is .70 lower than Cook, since you asked but you don't care, you only care about Beckett's salary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This Cook bashing is a bit over the top too. He is who he is -- a No. 6 or a No. 7 starter who filled in very well until the last two starts. At best, he was fighting for a No. 5 spot, but the notion that you dump Beckett or Lester for him was absolutely ludicrous.

He had a nice run of five consecutive starts, averaging about 6 2/3 innings with a 2.16 ERA. He should have one or two more wins.

But no one should have expected him to continue that streak. At the same time, there's no reason why after a couple of rough starts he can't bounce back. He was pitching strong last night at the start.

As for Lowe, he's got a 5.52 ERA and in his last three starts, he's gone 3.0 IP, 9 ER, 6 IP, 4 ER, 2.1 IP, 7 ER. His ERA has been going up each month, going 2.27 in April, followed by 4.30 in May, 6.49 in June and 10.03 in July.

Don't think he's the answer. At this point, I'd stick with Cook.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : Hi Jete...is that the same Kimmi as the Kimmi from  the other boards? Just curious, if you see this.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE] hey Pumps!...yes it is...like Bruce Bowen called himself the Kobe-stopper, she's my Zac-stopper..LOL!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : Oh wise Georom, tell me more about how "Cook doesn't give up the long ball". "Cook pitched 5 innings".... that is your argument?  Beckett's ERA is .70 lower than Cook, since you asked but you don't care, you only care about Beckett's salary.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

cook has been as good as beckett has been since they both started pitching...deal with it

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]This Cook bashing is a bit over the top too. He is who he is -- a No. 6 or a No. 7 starter who filled in very well until the last two starts. At best, he was fighting for a No. 5 spot, but the notion that you dump Beckett or Lester for him was absolutely ludicrous. He had a nice run of five consecutive starts, averaging about 6 2/3 innings with a 2.16 ERA. He should have one or two more wins. But no one should have expected him to continue that streak. At the same time, there's no reason why after a couple of rough starts he can't bounce back. He was pitching strong last night at the start. As for Lowe, he's got a 5.52 ERA and in his last three starts, he's gone 3.0 IP, 9 ER, 6 IP, 4 ER, 2.1 IP, 7 ER. His ERA has been going up each month, going 2.27 in April, followed by 4.30 in May, 6.49 in June and 10.03 in July. Don't think he's the answer. At this point, I'd stick with Cook.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Agree with you on all points, Roy.

As I said in the OP, the Red Sox probably need both Beckett and Cook.  I will say though, if the Red Sox aren't thinking about replacing Cook in the rotation now, they will need to if his next outing is like the previous 2.

I loved Dlowe, hated the Sox for letting him walk, but that was 7 years ago, he isn't the answer now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : yeah pumpsie RedSoxKimmi, queen of the super stats, is the same one there is also a kimmisaysthat here good luck with that one ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] it's kimsaysthis....and kind of funny that her and Kimmi have something in common....Tongue outWink

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts