Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited

This Cook bashing thread is as silly as the threads lauding Cook as an excellent pitcher.

The truth is obviously in between both camps.  He is a guy who can be your 4 or 5 starter if you don't have anyone better.  He pitched well for a few games, then horribly for a few games.  The next few games he might pitch well again.

The guy has been in the league for a while.  we all should have an idea what we are going to get from him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited:
    [QUOTE]This Cook bashing thread is as silly as the threads lauding Cook as an excellent pitcher. The truth is obviously in between both camps.  He is a guy who can be your 4 or 5 starter if you don't have anyone better.  He pitched well for a few games, then horribly for a few games.  The next few games he might pitch well again. The guy has been in the league for a while.  we all should have an idea what we are going to get from him.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

This is not a Cook bashing thread.  In the OP I stated that the Red Sox likely need both Beckett and Cook.

This is a reality check thread for people who 1. think dumping Beckett at all costs somehow improves this team 2. Think the Red Sox have the pitching depth to sustain losing Beckett.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : This is not a Cook bashing thread.  In the OP I stated that the Red Sox likely need both Beckett and Cook. This is a reality check thread for people who 1. think dumping Beckett at all costs somehow improves this team 2. Think the Red Sox have the pitching depth to sustain losing Beckett.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't mean to lump you in with the Cook bashers.  I get the point of your thread.  This board just drives me crazy at times.  If a guy has been in the league for 10 years he is probably going to perform pretty much like he has for ten years.

Cook isn't great and he doesn't stink.  He is what he has always been.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Cook is probably better than those last two starts.  But his career stats make it abundantly clearly he is maybe a #5 guy, no more.   Beckett's career stats, including last year when his ERA was under 3, make it clear it's way too early to give up on him. 

Dumping Beckett to make room for Cook is unsupportable. 

As for Morales, he is almost a sure bet to start again this season, but after him the cupboard is bare. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : Yeah I didn't mean to lump you in with the Cook bashers.  I get the point of your thread.  This board just drives me crazy at times.  If a guy has been in the league for 10 years he is probably going to perform pretty much like he has for ten years. Cook isn't great and he doesn't stink.  He is what he has always been.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

To your credit, you stated this in the "Cook over Beckett No Brainer" thread that this was in response to.

The board gets maddening when people treat highs and lows like they are not part of the game and when people get so entrenched in a position that they willfully ignore facts that contradict that position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Cook is probably better than those last two starts.  But his career stats make it abundantly clearly he is maybe a #5 guy, no more.   Beckett's career stats, including last year when his ERA was under 3, make it clear it's way too early to give up on him.  Dumping Beckett to make room for Cook is unsupportable.  As for Morales, he is almost a sure bet to start again this season, but after him the cupboard is bare. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't think anyone other than Bill, would be so foolish as to actually have advocated dumping Beckett to make room for Cook.  The sentiment was more along the lines of Beckett was more expendable b/c Cook had a few good starts.

The problem with Morales and Doubront is that both have or maybe should have IP limits.  Doubront is already in very dangerous terroritory with 40 more IP than his cumulative total last year and 100 more than ML total from 2011.  Morales is only slightly over in 2011 total now but a move back to rotation would obviously see his IP numbers grow significantly.  It is true though, after Morales the cupboards are pretty empty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

same here.... Beckett and Cook are needed..........not my own personal choice for our front line pitching but they are the best we have right now for "this year"....Beckett is getting killed on this forum unmercifully. Some of it is understandable because of his personality but this season has been the "whole" team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dump Beckett, we have Cook!! Revisited : awww Kimmi, does that mean i won't be getting your annual Sox ss/Jeter comp i love so much?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL Jete, don't worry.  You'll get your annual comparison.  We just have to wait until Jeter wins his Gold Glove.   ;-)

Pumpsie - Yes it's me.  You miss me, don't you?  ;-)