Dumpster ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Dumpster ...

All the starters looked great against the Rays in this series.  I don't want to discredit the pitchers, but they just might have caught a struggling offense in the middle of a hitting funk.  Once they've been around the league a bit, then I will shout their praises from the hilltops.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

All the starters looked great against the Rays in this series.  I don't want to discredit the pitchers, but they just might have caught a struggling offense in the middle of a hitting funk.  Once they've been around the league a bit, then I will shout their praises from the hilltops.  

As a team the Rays struggle offensively ----their  1 B and SS in addition to their 2B, and DH are not threats. If they don't preserve a lead they can't get to their lights out closer.

Unproven Wil Myers may provide a little punch and Luke Scott is on the DL--they would allow the team to put Scott at DH and Myers in RF freeing up Zobrist for 2 B or SS. 

Glad we caught them when we did. Although the Sox have issues with light hitting JBJ and Drew, though showing signs of making good contact, is hitting about .150 and Gomes needs to play more to get his eye back.

Suffice to say it's early and the lineups on most teams will change by the time we see each other again. Important to take one game at a time and keep the opposing closers on the bench with the Sox having leads or tied late into games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

I have been pleasantly suprised with dempster and I really hope he continues his outstanding performance.

Dempster is a pro--he doesn't let himself get too high or too low and he has a sense of humor that's dry but appropriate for a grey beard. Suffice to say he knows how to pitch and it's not an accident that Lester and Buch have decreased their time between pitches that has made them more effective and more confident. 

Doubrount could use a little more of that speed-up. It's only natural that it gives opposing hitters less time to get comfortable in the box and analyze what that the pitcher may throw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

How's he doing, critics?

Ya call him silly, demeaning names even before his first trip to the mound.

ERA is near 2.50.  SO's in the double digits ... dominating BB/K ratio is outstanding ....

He still isn't Clay, but who is at an ERA of under .50?

Dumpster indeed.  Time to make some apologies. 

Know know who you are.

Sorry. I still do not trust him. Small sample size. If he is around 4 ERA in July then I will willingly admit I was wrong.

Same small sample size that people were criticising him for [11 starts w/ Texas in AL last year] part of which he was hurt. Said all along he will be a perfect 4-5 guy for RS, will pitch to era under 5 and will pitch 200 innings if he stays healthy. This was a good sign for RS too bad it took some RS fans this long to realize. He will have his bad days but there will be plenty of good days like yesterday as well!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Like many others, I've been a Dempster skeptic, but I'd love nothing more to be proven wrong...I'm certainly pleased with the early results.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I predicted Dempster to have an ERA of around 4.50 in 2013.  So far, I am wrong.  

Keep it up Dempster!!!   :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I predicted Dempster to have an ERA of around 4.50 in 2013.  So far, I am wrong.  

Keep it up Dempster!!!   :)

4.5 in teh AL East is not a catastrophe.  Thats a good #4.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

im glad ive been wrong so far.....but it is VERY early

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I didn't think he was worth the money, but otherwise had no opinion.

So far Cherington is looking pretty smart.  Forget the TB start yesterday and look at his second start against Baltimore, a good hitting team (so far).  First inning, Ellsbury drops a fly, leaving men on 2d and 3d with nobody out, and Dempster holds the Orioles to one run in that inning.  He ends up with 5 innings, one earned run, two unearned runs, and to me a pretty darn good outing. 

He gave up 3 earned runs to the Yankees, also so far a good hitting team (defined as a team whose runs scored are among the top 5, the top 1/3, of the AL).  I think he deserves the ERA he has and also like the 17 IP in three starts--not great, but not bad early in the season.

Time will tell, of course, but I also think the entire staff is helped by Farrell, his pitching coach, and a pretty good defense out there backing them up. 

Speaking of which, while I agree Bradley should not have made that throw on Zobrist's sinking liner/fly, I was very impressed that he not only tried to catch it, but also made sure the ball did not get past him.  He is one impressive outfielder who needs more time to get his hitting straight. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

it also depends on what your expectations of Dempster were. I am expecting first and foremost 200 innings taking the ball every 5th day like clockwork and helping to save the pen. I am also expecting K/9 of 6 or 7...I predicted 15 wins, so far he is everything I thought he would be (I also stated earlier I thought he was the best pitcher in the NL last April/May/June

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Over the past 5 seasons Dempster has averaged about 200 IP, 182 K's and a 3.73 ERA.  He has the stuff to be a 200 K guy.  I live a few blocks from Wrigley and have seen it in person.  I don't understand why this pickup was panned so much.  There is no salary cap and it's not like we are paying the guy a truckload of money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't see why this is so surprising.  This is the pitcher that Dempster has been in his latter years.  This is how he pitched last year in Texas.  He is going to get lit up now and then (and everyone will be up in arms with Dumpster trashing to be sure), but he is a really crafty pitcher with good stuff and will have more good outings than bad outings.  People keep bringing up his stint with the Rangers as proof of why he can't pitch in the AL.  But, that is looking at the numbers without any deeper analysis.  Looking at his start by start performance, he got rocked a few times early: I would call that an adjustment period.  But, then, he was a very solid starter with some real nice starts, and, of course, a couple clunkers.  But that is who we were getting.  And that is what we are seeing.  Some folks were tripping over themselves to destroy "Dumpster" and what a bad signing it was.  But, the dude can pitch.  It should come as no surprise when he has strong starts like yesterday ... and it should come as no surprise when he serves up BP every once in a while.  He is not an ace, but he is far from a "Dumpster Profile".  A serious professional who knows what to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

How's he doing, critics?

Ya call him silly, demeaning names even before his first trip to the mound.

ERA is near 2.50.  SO's in the double digits ... dominating BB/K ratio is outstanding ....

He still isn't Clay, but who is at an ERA of under .50?

Dumpster indeed.  Time to make some apologies. 

Know know who you are.

Sorry. I still do not trust him. Small sample size. If he is around 4 ERA in July then I will willingly admit I was wrong.

His sample size is over a decade in the ML.

He is a decent pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Remind me, friends, of how it feels to be 0-6 or 1-5 (or worse) and wondering where our pitching went ...

And so many were sure of themselves it was doom.  While ya mighta been right ... does not the same small sample of brilliance beg a change in attitude?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I don't see why this is so surprising.  This is the pitcher that Dempster has been in his latter years.  This is how he pitched last year in Texas.  He is going to get lit up now and then (and everyone will be up in arms with Dumpster trashing to be sure), but he is a really crafty pitcher with good stuff and will have more good outings than bad outings.  People keep bringing up his stint with the Rangers as proof of why he can't pitch in the AL.  But, that is looking at the numbers without any deeper analysis.  Looking at his start by start performance, he got rocked a few times early: I would call that an adjustment period.  But, then, he was a very solid starter with some real nice starts, and, of course, a couple clunkers.  But that is who we were getting.  And that is what we are seeing.  Some folks were tripping over themselves to destroy "Dumpster" and what a bad signing it was.  But, the dude can pitch.  It should come as no surprise when he has strong starts like yesterday ... and it should come as no surprise when he serves up BP every once in a while.  He is not an ace, but he is far from a "Dumpster Profile".  A serious professional who knows what to do.

+1 Space. Forget the results, anyone who had the opportunity to watch his 3 starts can see he can pitch.....he mixes his pitches well, changes locations well, and his velocity while not what it was when he was young is still enough to win with.....he doesnt have the advantage of being a lefty, but his stuff is better than Petite's is right now and people still rave about how well Petite is pitching...Dempster was learning a new set of hitters last year with Texas and he is dealing with new battery mates again with the sox.....I expect him to have a more than acceptable season for a #3 or #4 starter. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

How is 7-3 with 3 or less runs allowed in 7 of his 12 starts with Texas bad? Some want to just say look at his 5 era. Ok, well I say look at it inthe correct context. He had 2 bad games his first couple starts. An adjustment period if you will. after that he was very good. Not sure what some here are expecting. or if their just trolling.

I understand those who are a little skeptical. Thats normal. Just be fair when looking at what hes done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

How is 7-3 with 3 or less runs allowed in 7 of his 12 starts with Texas bad? Some want to just say look at his 5 era. Ok, well I say look at it inthe correct context. He had 2 bad games his first couple starts. An adjustment period if you will. after that he was very good. Not sure what some here are expecting. or if their just trolling.

I understand those who are a little skeptical. Thats normal. Just be fair when looking at what hes done.

Dempster is now 7 and 4 in the AL with a 4.60 ERA and 95k's in 86 innings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I will not be one to get on his case if he gets lit up occasionally as long as the total body of his work for the team is acceptable. All pitchers get lit up occasionally. He will too. Thats the same consistent process I would use to judge the total body of his work in Texas, which, including everything, was not very good. I am not in favor of discounting his worst games any more than I would discount his best ones. They all count.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I will not be one to get on his case if he gets lit up occasionally as long as the total body of his work for the team is acceptable. All pitchers get lit up occasionally. He will too. Thats the same consistent process I would use to judge the total body of his work in Texas, which, including everything, was not very good. I am not in favor of discounting his worst games any more than I would discount his best ones. They all count.

You are right Pumpsie.  They do all count.  I do not mean to suggest that we can just arbitrarily throw out the starts that blow up the numbers.  That is how numbers generally get blown up.

But, the context of the first few starts in Texas is worth considering.  Regardless of it being harder to pitch in the AL vs. NL, I would give any pitcher a few starts latitude adjusting to new hitters, new park(s), new D behind him, not to mention the difficult personal upheaval of a mid-season relocation.  

Not throwing those out per se, but just looking at them in context rather than in the abstract.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You are right Pumpsie.  They do all count.  I do not mean to suggest that we can just arbitrarily throw out the starts that blow up the numbers.  That is how numbers generally get blown up.

But, the context of the first few starts in Texas is worth considering.  Regardless of it being harder to pitch in the AL vs. NL, I would give any pitcher a few starts latitude adjusting to new hitters, new park(s), new D behind him, not to mention the difficult personal upheaval of a mid-season relocation.  

Not throwing those out per se, but just looking at them in context rather than in the abstract.

This is exactly what Ive been trying to say. Nobody wants to take those bad starts out. Just looking at them in the correct context of the whole situation like you described has everything to do with it and should be figured into it when looking at the numbers, which werent that bad anyway..