Dumpster Derby update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Dumpster Derby update

After 3 starts apiece, let's see how Ryan Dempster compares to some of the other dumpster pitchers who were mentioned as possible acquisitions by the Sox this offseason:

Dempster ERA 2.65               IP 17.0 H 10 BB 8 K 25

Brandon McCarthy ERA 7.47   IP 15.2 H 28 BB 4 K 9

Dan Haren ERA 8.10              IP 13.1 H 26 BB 1 K 12

Edwin Jackson ERA 6.06         IP 16.1 H 16 BB 10 K 20

Shaun Marcum - nil - on DL  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Dumpster Derby update

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The Rays will do wonders for an ERA.

So now are we throwing out the best start in order to make someone look bad---Dempster may not end the season with an under 4 ERA but he will probably keep the Sox in most of his starts. I find it pretty refreshing to hear him talk like an ordinary guy--not too high and definitely not low. He's been around the block and he knows how to pitch. 

Hopefully Aceves has another decent game tonight---don't you Softy and Bill?

Softy-I'm sorry money seems to be your hang-up; life would be so much fun if you didn't worry about something you have no control over and you're not writing the checks anyway.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The Rays will do wonders for an ERA.

That is very true Softy.  It is healthy to put Monday's start in perspective.  That doesn't excuse Everyone's Better Choices for Value/Fit - McCarthy, Haren, and Jackson from their bloated numbers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Dempster may not end the season with an under 4 ERA but he will probably keep the Sox in most of his starts.

Dumpster's ERA might not end the season under 4.5.

As for money, it's a shame that the Democraty Party uses economic class envy to get people worrying about something they want the federal government to spread over to them via control.

He will and you really shouldn't be jealous of the money Dempster makes, if you had a world class  skill you would be getting paid for it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox starting pitchers have a combined ERA of 2.09 and none of them have allowed more than 3 runs in a start.The have 91 Strike Outs in 77.1 innings with 29 Walks.

Damn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Dempster will have a winning record on a Sox team with a winning record.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I'm not jealous of people who have less money than I have and play a "blue collar" sport.

I've noted that you state Dumpster "will have an ERA under 4.5". I find that dubious, at best.

I find it ultra creepy you have a BDC note book(especially the way you move goal post. You don't make 8 figures as a lawyer in a poor state like NC. If you make 6 you should pay your self on the back. But it is okay you're jealous, just stop with the class warfare speil.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$33M for 3 years was way too much for me, but here's another Dumpster Derby guy:

Lohse: ERA 2.08  IP 13.0  H 11  BB o  K  7

How about this guy I mentioned had we traded Doubront or not signed Dempster?

Paul Maholm: ERA 0.00 (3-0) IP20.1 H 11 5  K 20

or a 6th starter I mentioned...

J Saunders: ERA 2.08 IP 17.1 H 16  BB 7  K 10

or the 1 big named FA I said I'd be OK with signing?

A Sanchez  ERA 1.42  IP  19  H 10  BB 8  K 21

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

$33M for 3 years was way too much for me, but here's another Dumpster Derby guy:

Interesting take, Moon.

You didn't find it necessary to denegrate Dempster - or entire social strata - as the facile one did.  You didn't necessarily agree with the OP, but you made your point based on the very issue that the OP made.  The facts of other players ... that's it.  Sure, you may have mentioned there were choices you had thought of, but you didn't need to tear apart the guy to make your point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Interesting take, Moon.

You didn't find it necessary to denegrate Dempster - or entire social strata - as the facile one did.  You didn't necessarily agree with the OP, but you made your point based on the very issue that the OP made.  The facts of other players ... that's it.  Sure, you may have mentioned there were choices you had thought of, but you didn't need to tear apart the guy to make your point.

I have nothing against Dempster, but I did have serious doubts and was against his signing. I am hoping I was very wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

BTW, I was not for signing Lohse, even at a fraction of his $33M deal.

I was not for Sanchez either, but did say that if we were going to spend all this money, I'd have rather signed a very helpful player like Sanchez for 5 years than 3-4 guys for 1-3 years (Victorino, Dempster, Drew and Ortiz). So far, the first do have done very well as has Sanchez, but the final results of those signing and my suggested ideas are a long way away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Dempster has been a decent ML starter for years now. I imagine that will continue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I can understand the resistance to signing Dempster when it was widely assumed that the club was in desparate need of a "top of the rotation" starter.

But, now that Buchholz and Lester have narrowed that assumption considerably, I really don't understand what is not to like about having a Ryan Dempster somewhere in your rotation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

After 3 starts apiece, let's see how Ryan Dempster compares to some of the other dumpster pitchers who were mentioned as possible acquisitions by the Sox this offseason:

What they might be saying in Red Sox's GM's office:

Although probably not using those exact words.

Let's remember All-Star pitcher Matt Clement, although it didn't help that he was almost decapitated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Yes Sherriff, VERY well put !

Seems I recall just last year Aaron Cook started of rather well. I had doubts about Dempster signing, but given what was economically available it was okay.

If we get anything more than 28 starts, 12-14 wins and an E.R.A. under 4.50 I'll be qute happy. And would willingly accept the above numbers !

But should he continue delivering all season like so far ?   Name streets after him, give Ben C. a raise, be grateful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm not jealous of people who have less money than I have and play a "blue collar" sport.

I've noted that you state Dumpster "will have an ERA under 4.5". I find that dubious, at best.

There you go again---I said he may not end the season with an under 4 ERA but he will probably keep the Sox in most of his starts. 

Did I or didn't I say that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

What they might be saying in Red Sox's GM's office:

Although probably not using those exact words.

One of my favorite quotes, and you'd be surprised how frequently it's appropriate! 

Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Dempster ERA 4.21               IP 83.1 H 71 BB 40 K 87

Brandon McCarthy ERA 5.00   IP 66.2 H 85 BB 10 K 39 currently on DL

Dan Haren ERA 5.70              IP 72.2 H 91 BB 10 K 59

Edwin Jackson ERA 5.40         IP 71.2 H 82 BB 29 K 71

Shaun Marcum ERA 5.43        IP 54.2 H 58 BB 11 K 47

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i like dempster   he wasnt signed to be the ace, just solidify the rotation...i want to see Lee traded for...then we will be in serious contention....right now were treading water while our veteran players start their yearly breakdown (ironic that 34 yr old Lee is always pitching 200+ innings and clay cant seem to ever...)

As always - 100% correct!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I don't think we'll see Dempster, Lackey or Buch traded but I think there's a strong possibility Lester and Doubrount will be moved.

Gallarado for the Brewers could be a possible target. I realize he had a DUI situation--perhaps a change of venue might benefit both Lester and Gallarado. Similar contract to Lesters. 

I could also see Doubrount going to the Twins as part of a deal for closer Glenn Perkins. That would have to include some other good prospects.

I think Bailey is an ideal set-up guy and they need to use him frequently. I would look to have Taz, Ue and Miller go for the closer role or split it. Those three guys have strengths Bailey doesn't have. Factor in all three don't have to pitch every day--Bailey has to pitch often to stay sharp.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe the Dodgers will give us Zach Lee for Lester...

LMAO!

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts