Duquette: Bedard doesn't want spotlight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Duquette: Bedard doesn't want spotlight

by Jerry Spar/WEEI

Former major league executive Jim Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network, joined the Dennis & Callahan show Monday morning to talk about the Red Sox' acquisition of Erik Bedard.

Duquette, who was vice president of baseball operations for the Orioles from 2006-08 and was part of the front office that traded Bedard to Seattle, made some comments over the weekend questioning Bedard's reliability.

"When he's pitching, he's one of the top pitchers in the game," Duquette told D&C. "The problem has been his health."

Duquette, the cousin of former Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette, said Bedard does not fit into the mold of a leader for a pitching staff, in large part because he doesn't like to deal with the media.

"If you're expecting him to be your No. 1 or No. 2 starter, he's not the guy," Duquette said. "He doesn't want to be that guy. I said this the other day: He doesn't want to be in the spotlight. Now, if you want to slide him into that fourth spot, it's a perfect spot for him. If you want to have somebody speak on his behalf, if you're not expecting a lot from a media standpoint, it's OK. To me, he has the goods from a pitching standpoint. His teammates have always liked him. So, those are some of the concerns that you might have with him if you're getting him. But in terms of pitching, he's a pretty good pitcher."

Added Duquette: "He just wants to pitch, get the baseball, go out and do his thing, and then kind of slide off into the back rooms and not be bothered. That's where I think he gets abrasive."

Duquette said if Bedard can avoid the media except on days he pitches, he should be able to make it work in Boston.

"I think in that environment, I think he'll be fine," Duquette said. "Because he pitched in Baltimore, he went to school in Connecticut [Norwalk Community College], he's familiar enough with what goes on there in Fenway. I don't expect that there'll be a huge adjustment for him."

Duquette also implied Bedard isn't likely to do well if the fans do not support him.

"Nobody likes to be booed. I think he's more sensitive -- he'll never admit it -- but I think he's more sensitive in that area than most," Duquette said. "So, from that area, it would concern me a little bit."

Duquette acknowledged that in previous years he discouraged big-market teams from acquiring Bedard. The difference here is that the Red Sox did not surrender too much. Plus, Bedard is on a one-year deal and has something to prove.

"What I liked about what Theo [Epstein] did was he didn't give up any of his top prospects here," Duquette said. "This is rather, what I'd say, low risk, in the sense that you didn't see [Anthony] Ranaudo], you didn't see [Will] Middlebrooks, you didn't see any of their top guys going anywhere. So, when you look at his ability and what they gave up, I think overall it was a good deal."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Duquette: Bedard doesn't want spotlight

look idiot your game is up. Stop repetitive posting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Is this Gloucester Frank spamming under a new name?  37 posts and most of them are thread starters.  That's Frank's MO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Why do I keep reading the same thing over and over?  OK, he doesn't want the spotlight.  What does that mean?  Will he not take the mound?  I think he will.  Has he ever pitched in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park?  Guess what...that is the spotlight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

How can Duquette diminish what the guy did when he was the GM of Baltimore, I read between the lines and it appears he has built up some resentment towards Bendard...

Sure the guy has the "buyer beware" factor, but what really player doesnt? Bedard is not being called to be the one or two GUY...he is a 3 or 4.

He can take him time to get into the grove how the Nation works...

I like it the potential of the return, if health is ok...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

GREAT; he can sit next to jd crawford.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

He's a Duquette.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Duquette: Bedard doesn't want spotlight:
    [QUOTE]Is this Gloucester Frank spamming under a new name?  37 posts and most of them are thread starters.  That's Frank's MO.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]morning Nut, thanks for the assist...guess he ran out of FRGL combos.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]GREAT; he can sit next to jd crawford.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

hey yazzah! Ham the redneck checking in. If you are a red sox fan then I'm the babes twin brother. you have never had one single positive post since you have been here. fess up. your a yankee fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]Why do I keep reading the same thing over and over?  OK, he doesn't want the spotlight.  What does that mean?  Will he not take the mound?  I think he will.  Has he ever pitched in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park?  Guess what...that is the spotlight.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

good one -- I think not liking the spotlight to these guys means not feeling altogther comfortable with some of the pushy and sometimes nasty and obnoxious media types that go with the territory in professional sports.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]He's a Duquette.
    Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]

ding ding

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

[QUOTE]Why do I keep reading the same thing over and over?  OK, he doesn't want the spotlight.  What does that mean?  Will he not take the mound?  I think he will.  Has he ever pitched in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park?  Guess what...that is the spotlight.

Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Yes he may have pitched in those parks but with little to no expectation. Quite different when you pitch for the home team in those parks with serious expectations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Duquette: Bedard doesn't want spotlight : hey yazzah! Ham the redneck checking in. If you are a red sox fan then I'm the babes twin brother. you have never had one single positive post since you have been here. fess up. your a yankee fan.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

hey hammah,

my posts will be positive when inspstein walks away.
    as much as i love the SOX, that's how much i dislike their current GM.
    and the J D CRAWFORD signing will be one of the worst contracts ever put on paper by anyone in baseball. live with that 'boy genius.' referring to theo, not you, hammah.

Sections
Shortcuts