Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

In Response to Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff "... "The first 100 games have been [lousy]. I mean, two games under .500? We're the Boston Red Sox," Pedroia said. "If anyone's thrilled about where we're at, we need to re-evaluate because I don't like losing. I know everyone else doesn't like losing. We've got to play better, man. "We've got to play good, man. That's the bottom line. We have great players, we just have to play good. That's it. We didn't. Their guys did. Late in the game they extended themselves from us. That's what great teams do. "We didn't do anything. Our at-bats later in the game were not good. Swinging early in the count. I mean, heck, if their eighth-inning guy is going to come in the game let's at least get 25, 30 pitches so maybe he can't pitch tomorrow, you know? Do something productive and we're not doing that. That's a sign of not a winning team. Those are the little things we need to do better."
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Pedroia went on to say that the fans have been a real let down this year too, "On the Frontburner posers are starting multiple threads, cutting and pasting, and flat out not responding when another guys holds them accountable. I mean, we're better than that."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

Thanks for explaining that, Dustin.

I just don't agree that you have great players. OK players, at great salaries, maybe.  But not great players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Pedroia finally said it. I'd suspected he'd been unhappy with his teammates for a few weeks, if not months.

And I totally agree with him. It was the seventh, or eigth inning, Pedroia was 3rd up in the inning, and the gu had thrown 3 pitches to record 2 outs. Simply pitiful. 2 pitches to Ellsbury and a one hopper to short. Crawford beat the first he saw to short.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

Tough for anyone to make Robertson struggle but OK Dustin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I think Pedey is expressing the truth of inside knowledge.  Unlike the many armchair baseball gurus here, he should know what he's talking about. 

The sad fact that he is expressing is that something is missing in the spark that the team used to have.  In this, many have been on the mark.  What is it that turns the key?  It isn't just hunger to win, is it?  There seems to be something missing in the approach at the plate.  We can still score runs, but we rarely wear down the opponent as a regular event.  Is it coaching?  Have the hitters become lax in the dual purpose of each at bat - what you can get out of this AB plus wearing down the chucker as well?  Is it just a lack of confidence or swagger?  Say what you will about Manny ... when he and Papi were at the core, there was always a sense that in a swing or two, we could smashmouth our way back into any game.  We could afford to be Idiots or Cowboys because the big sticks always kept the opponents filled with a certain dread.

I know ... it's the pitching.  That cannot be argued.  But to be honest, we had some questionable pitching before and could expect to overcome it.  I remember Papi complaining we had to score 7 runs  game to win.  But we seemed to ...

If Beckett and Lester return to form, so many ills evaporate ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...

Not sure that chirping in the press is a constructive means to elicit the support of your teammates. I, like many of you, am a huge fan of Pedrioa's. Frankly, Dustin you haven't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either. So if you have issues with your teamamtes. Then get a milk crate, stand on top of it in the middle of the clubhouse with the doors closed with no press present and call some guys out!

Team; a collective of individuals, striving to achieve a common goal!

Leadership; demostrating the desired behavior, while actively coaching and encouraging participation by others to achieve a common goal!  

Synergy; When the results are greater than the sum of it's parts!

Do your Job! My favorite quote from Bill Belicheck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

This version of the RS need a hell of alot more than Pedroia standing on top of a soap box.  They need now exactly what they needed in September.....Personal accountability.  For the longest of times the RS have been overpaid but for the most part they performed.....Time for someone to step and not just run their mouths but lead by performing.  Someone please.........I think RS fans are tired of waiting...I know I am. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

It's about time, I am happy he Said it, pedroia is dead on.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Totally agree with few posters that it was about time for someone to say these things.

He is right cuz the team is getting healthier and healthier.  No excuse for them to not to play like up and down like in this season.

Hopefully he can send a message to the team for today game where he can help his friend, Lester to finally win a game!!

Go Sox....start winning today and continue to stay that way for a while!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember he called out the whole team not just one or two. He also included himself as he never said anything but WE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

He said we all the time so he at least did not call out any specific person

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    This version of the RS need a hell of alot more than Pedroia standing on top of a soap box.  They need now exactly what they needed in September.....Personal accountability.  For the longest of times the RS have been overpaid but for the most part they performed.....Time for someone to step and not just run their mouths but lead by performing.  Someone please.........I think RS fans are tired of waiting...I know I am. 
    Posted by never1954

Standing on a soap box? How could you demean his message?

What he did is show some leadership if all your players played the game the way he did you would not be in last place.

How many great players in this game fail to display leadership when it's needed?

I commend Pedroia for his outburst he just wants to win and I think what he said was also directed at the folks who run the club.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

funny, when the sox manager calls out players for being careless, he is being a trouble-maker and prima donna - when pedey does it, its ok...

i always thought it was the manager's job to critque his players but i guess thats not how things are done in boston...

good lord...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Will the " real fans " now complain about Pedroia being too " negative."  He is saying what some of us have been saying all along.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    funny, when the sox manager calls out players for being careless, he is being a trouble-maker and prima donna - when pedey does it, its ok... i always thought it was the manager's job to critque his players but i guess thats not how things are done in boston... good lord...
    Posted by georom4

And that's the managers job to let his players know that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Someone batting 150 points below his career OPS should not be mouthing off at his teammates.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

If you carefully read what Pedroia said, where does it say that he is angry and where is he accusing his teammates of not playing the game the right way? He does say that we have to play better - that's all. Don't put words into his mouth.
    Posted by Calzone65

I saw Pedroia's commentary, included was something to the effect of " I mean, two games under .500? We're the Boston Red Sox," now if someone has a problem with that plea I can't figure out why, seemed to be inclusive of everyone.

I disagree with his expectations against Robertson though what Robertson did to the Sox is par for the course.

He is back to the way he was pitching before the rib injury.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Someone batting 150 points below his career OPS should not be mouthing off at his teammates.
    Posted by moonslav59

He is coming off an injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Pedey is 100 percent correct. I think that's why the Sox have often been feast or famine. As I pointed out on other threads, the Sox -- Beckett and Lester especially -- had some excellent pitching performances that got no run support.

And I think it goes back to what Pedey said. This lineup is more undisciplined than others. I don't mind an aggressive approach when called for. Drew would take strikes down the middle just for the sake of taking pitches.

But how many times have we seen a pitcher come in and the Sox just hack away and go 1-2-3 in three pitches.

I don't have a problem with Pedey speaking out in this case. At some point, someone has to light a fire under everyone else. And besides, as jim mentioned, he said "we" and it was part calling out everyone but also explaining what's going wrong.

And geo, there is a difference between a manager saying something and a player. It's sort of the same when a coach will tell a player something he's doing wrong and it doesn't sink in, but when a teammate tells him, it gets through.

Or other things -- a teacher or adult telling a kid something that the kid ignores, but it hits home when another kid, obviously someone with some cache, says the same thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away : He is coming off an injury.
    Posted by nhsteven

So is virtually everyone else.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Ironically, both sides are correct.  Because the Sox have developed a reputation over the years of taking a lot of pitches, it seems many pitchers are just grooving strike one.  So swinging early in the count can make some sense.  But they need to do it in a disciplined way.  First pitch you are looking for a particular pitch in a particular spot.  If it's not there, you let it go.  Don't always pick the same type of pitch or area of the plate. 

The other thing that seems to be lacking is the ability to foul off close pitches with 2 strikes.  Not every ball has to be put in play.  Eddie Murray (he of 3000+ hits and 500+ home runs) used to spend much of BP practicing his emergency swings.  He was a tough out.  Wade Boggs was great at it as well.  Now I'm not saying any of these guys are Murray or Boggs, but even fouling off 1 or 2 extra pitches can take its toll over the course of a game or even an inning.  Kinsler's at bat the other night against Beckett is a example.  He still made an out, but those extra 3-4 pitches may well have taken just enough out of Becektt to turn the odds in in Texas' favor.

A great example of an emergency swing was Bernie Carbo's in the 8th inning of game 6.  I recall Sports Illustrated describing it as having all the style and grace of a suburbanite raking leaves.  The next pitch landed in the centerfield bleachers to tie it up and set up Fisk's heroics.  Our guys today would have struck out on the pitch, probably looking.

Sections
Shortcuts