Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    [QUOTE]Pedey is 100 percent correct. I think that's why the Sox have often been feast or famine. As I pointed out on other threads, the Sox -- Beckett and Lester especially -- had some excellent pitching performances that got no run support. And I think it goes back to what Pedey said. This lineup is more undisciplined than others. I don't mind an aggressive approach when called for. Drew would take strikes down the middle just for the sake of taking pitches. But how many times have we seen a pitcher come in and the Sox just hack away and go 1-2-3 in three pitches. I don't have a problem with Pedey speaking out in this case. At some point, someone has to light a fire under everyone else. And besides, as jim mentioned, he said "we" and it was part calling out everyone but also explaining what's going wrong. And geo, there is a difference between a manager saying something and a player. It's sort of the same when a coach will tell a player something he's doing wrong and it doesn't sink in, but when a teammate tells him, it gets through. Or other things -- a teacher or adult telling a kid something that the kid ignores, but it hits home when another kid, obviously someone with some cache, says the same thing.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

as a teacher, i dont rely on students to correct each other...when that happens, you know the boat has already left the dock...but valentine has been undercut by Ben and he doesnt want to appear confrontational or negative - which is what Snake is talking about...and I agree with him....Bobby is very good on the field but he is not much better at discipline than Tito

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    [QUOTE]Someone batting 150 points below his career OPS should not be mouthing off at his teammates.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Interesting that it was after he jacked a few homers that he chose to mouth off.

Doubtful that he would have done the same if he were coming off an 0 for 15.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Just remember he called out the whole team not just one or two. He also included himself as he never said anything but WE.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Excellent insight, Jim.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Playing baseball the right way requires confidence , concentration, focus and relaxation. The Sox at this point are beaten , battered , dazed and bewildered. The confidence , concentration and focus are gone. They cannot play the game " the right way " under those circumstances.  I don't pretend to know what is wrong , but this is a malaise that began last September , and has not changed since then.  I don't see any indication that is about to change , either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Seems that something should have happened before 100 games into the season.  It's not Pedey's job to light a fire under this team.  I thought they hired a new manager because Tito was too easy on them...didn't have any fire...couldn't ignite the team to rise above the crowd...made bad decisions...and on and on.  Anybody looked in that dugout lately...they are a beaten ball club...nobody fears coming into Fenway anymore...Don and Jerry just ramble on, lost in their own world...and nothing changes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Seems that something should have happened before 100 games into the season.  It's not Pedey's job to light a fire under this team.  I thought they hired a new manager because Tito was too easy on them...didn't have any fire...couldn't ignite the team to rise above the crowd...made bad decisions...and on and on.  Anybody looked in that dugout lately...they are a beaten ball club...nobody fears coming into Fenway anymore...Don and Jerry just ramble on, lost in their own world...and nothing changes.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Don and Jerry are house announcers. Do not expect to hear the truth from them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Pedroia is putting himself in the hole on almost every at bat. Sometimes it seems he's not even looking at the first pitch, and is already tightening his equipment before the ump calls "strike one". He's too good a hitter to give away the most important pitch of the at-bat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Do you guys remember a year or two ago when Ellsbury was compared to Granderson and  Pedey was compared to Cano & I think there was a survey as whom would be preferred ?

HR      BA       Lifetime                           HR      BA       Lifetime
    Granderson    27      .249     .266                 *Ellsbury    1       .282     .300

Cano              22      .319     .309                 *Pedey      7        .267    .301

* yup, I know...both hurt so stats can't be fair....

Ellsbury better average and it definitely seems Cano the better choice and also Granderson & Cano with many more HRs.

Tex               19        .262      .280                  Gonzo      9       .291   .293

Even though Gonzo has a higher batting average, I wish we had gotten Texeira years ago !!! Anyway, Monday morning quarterback that I am I wish we had kept Beltre, V. Martinez & even Coco Crisp.  But too I wish we had not gotten Crawford, DiceK, Lackey etc. but their injuries are not mgmt's fault. Reddick playing well with Oakland & we still have not used Bailey.

Sometimes life and baseball are not fair. I'm just venting a bit...Mea Culpa !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lets just make  pedey the manager because most folks here think he walks on water...even when he calls out his entire team when he has been totally underperforming (and it was happening BEFORE his two injuries)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Someone batting 150 points below his career OPS should not be mouthing off at his teammates.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love Pedey and his heart is in the right place, but if you are a major reason why your team is doing nothing, then it's not exactly your place to call out the team. Ortiz does it, I would understand it. Pedey is having a tough season and he needs to lead the team and he often has done nothing for this team. He's the guy who has to play over-his-head and go on a power surge/RBI (sort of like when I said the same about a struggling Agon in the 1st Half). None of these guys seem capable of having a 4-for-4 game or a 2-HR game with 6 RBI (Ross did it, but those are few and far between). The team generated another woeful hitting show--3 solo HR and a few scattered singles--The team cannot generate offense other than by HR. And since they can't get 3-run HRs, they are just going to sputter some more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Pedey is dead on though about the philosophy is gone about taking pitches. 
    To me, the message needs to be sent--Magadan and the Niemann/McClure combo as coaches should be fired. You got to do something and if they can get a coach who instills patience in his hitters and a pitching coach who can actually work with Lester/Beckett/some others, you do it. They need to shake it up, and it's not going to be done by blowing up a roster that several of the players are not really worth
    much in a sell, sell environment. Of course, I said fire BV, and it's not fair, but it's gotta be the 2 coaches or the manager or all 3. Somebody has to pay for the poor play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Horrible chemistry on this team and I use the word team loosely.  Time to blow it up and and spend the next 3 years constructing a Championship caliper organization or prepare too be bottom dwellers for many years too come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In other words, many of you seem to think a guy can't be a team leader and try to inspire his teammates unless he is batting .325 with 25 homers?

Derek Jeter is a team leader ,I am sure he doesn't reliquish his role as leader on days when he goes 0 for 5.

Back in 1986 , Don Baylor was considered a huge factor and a clubhouse leader. I am sure there were days when Baylor went hitless ( his season average for 1986 was .238!!!...so, you know he went hitless once in a while).

Varitek was the Red Sox captain. In 2011 Varitek batted .221 for the season. Many of you were critical of Varitek for not speaking up and being a team leader.

I guess it wasn't the fact that he wasn't a good clubhouse leader. It was because he was batting .221, so he had to keep his mouth shut and not reprimand his team , because obviously he was underperforming so he couldn't speak????

It is insane to say a player can only be a leader if his stats are equal to , or better than his lifeime stats or equal to or better than that of his teammates....all of them!

Pedroia is trying to do something. Hell, the manager and the front office have done practically nothing, so what the hell, why not try something...anything.

What's he got to lose?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away : I agree. I love Pedey and his heart is in the right place, but if you are a major reason why your team is doing nothing, then it's not exactly your place to call out the team. Ortiz does it, I would understand it. Pedey is having a tough season and he needs to lead the team and he often has done nothing for this team. He's the guy who has to play over-his-head and go on a power surge/RBI (sort of like when I said the same about a struggling Agon in the 1st Half). None of these guys seem capable of having a 4-for-4 game or a 2-HR game with 6 RBI (Ross did it, but those are few and far between). The team generated another woeful hitting show--3 solo HR and a few scattered singles--The team cannot generate offense other than by HR. And since they can't get 3-run HRs, they are just going to sputter some more.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

and i will go a step further in criticizing pedroia..where was mr de-facto capt last year as the team was tanking? even after the collapse he went to give an interview in which he claimed NOTHING negative was happening...all lies to protect his daddy tito...but the news got out and tito was released...now he is unchained - telling off the manager and now his players....i just wish he would play to his usual level and be quiet...let the manager do the motivating...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away": [QUOTE]If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem... Not sure that chirping in the press is a constructive means to elicit the support of your teammates. I, like many of you, am a huge fan of Pedrioa's. Frankly, Dustin you haven't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either. So if you have issues with your teamamtes. Then get a milk crate, stand on top of it in the middle of the clubhouse with the doors closed with no press present and call some guys out! Team; a collective of individuals, striving to achieve a common goal! Leadership; demostrating the desired behavior, while actively coaching and encouraging participation by others to achieve a common goal!   Synergy; When the results are greater than the sum of it's parts! Do your Job! My favorite quote from Bill Belicheck! Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE] All but one of Pedroia's hr have come when the Sox where either down or tied he is doing his job his clearly a shot at the pitchers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away : and i will go a step further in criticizing pedroia..where was mr de-facto capt last year as the team was tanking? even after the collapse he went to give an interview in which he claimed NOTHING negative was happening...all lies to protect his daddy tito...but the news got out and tito was released...now he is unchained - telling off the manager and now his players....i just wish he would play to his usual level and be quiet...let the manager do the motivating... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] The problem is the manager is part of the problem. Pedroia knows how to win, Valentine as a manager has limited success. Why would either of whose change. Bobby V isnt a a stront person. He did not say a word when he found out players were smoking pot in the Mets club house.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how many pennants has pedrioa won?  valentine?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, all of those 8 HRs...So many to work from.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

DUSTIN IS A FEISTY PLAYER, BUT UNFORTUNATELY HE HAS
    TEAM MATES WHO ARE JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS.
    ADRIAN GONZALEZ IS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.  HE IS JUST
    WHAT THE SOX DON'T NEED, A SPRAY HITTING OUTFIELDER WHO
    WILL HIT FOR AVERAGE BUT NOT BE LIKE GRANDERSON AND
    TEXEIRA WHO HIT DINGERS FOR 2 AND 3 RUN BLASTS.  IF PAPI
    WALKS IN 2013, THIS CLUB WILL BE SERIOUSLY WEAKENED
    IN THE LONG BALL POWER CATEGORY. WE WILL BE A PUNCH
    AND JUDY OFFENSE WITH A SHAKY PITCHING STAFF.  GUYS WHO
    ARE REAL STIFFS INCLUDE "NO FIELD" ROSS, AVILES, SWEENEY,
    NAVA,  AND CRAWFORD.  OTHER USELESS GUYS ARE ALBERS
    MELANCON, MORTENSEN, LESTER, AND BECKETT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

PEDROIA IS RIGHT.  THE TEAM STINKS !! BOTTOM LINE.
    WE WILL FINISH A MINIMUM OF 20 GAMES OUT THIS 2012
    SEASON.  WE HAVE ONE GOOD STARTING PITCHER, BUCHHOLZ;
    A PRETTY GOOD PROSPECT INDOUBRONT, AND THATS IT.
    OUR HITTERS ARE PITIFUL.  AVILES IS AN AUTOMATIC
    OUT, MOST TIMES AT BAT DESPITE HIS OCCASIONAL HIT.
    SALTY JUST CAN;T HIT THE BETTER FASTBALL PITCHERS;
    AVILES CAN'T HIT TO SAVE HIMSELF.  DITTO FOR CRAWFORD,
    SWEENEY, SHOPPACH, AND ADRIAN GONZALEZ...A COLOSSAL
    DOWNPLAY FROM WHAT WE THOUGHT HE COULD BE FOR THIS
    TEAM.

T

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Valentine isn't the problem but he isn't the solution either. The #1 problem is Lucchino. He's lost it. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish. The 2nd problem is Beckett. It's not about talent. Its not about blame. It's about his bad leadership. Whether he wants it or not, he's a leader on the team and he's not leading by example. Problem #3 is Lester. He's not a leader and the more he tries, the worse he gets. They can keep him but only if he's got good people to show him the way. #4 - Lackey. They say that one bad apple can spoil the bunch and Lackey is the proof. They'll never be any good with Lackey and Beckett on the team. They'll never be a championship caliber team as long as the baseball team isnt objective number 1. The wrong people left last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Dustin Pedroia angrily accuses his teammates of not playing the game the right away:
    Someone batting 150 points below his career OPS should not be mouthing off at his teammates.
    Posted by moonslav59

I agree. I love Pedey and his heart is in the right place, but if you are a major reason why your team is doing nothing, then it's not exactly your place to call out the team. Ortiz does it, I would understand it. Pedey is having a tough season and he needs to lead the team and he often has done nothing for this team. He's the guy who has to play over-his-head and go on a power surge/RBI (sort of like when I said the same about a struggling Agon in the 1st Half). None of these guys seem capable of having a 4-for-4 game or a 2-HR game with 6 RBI (Ross did it, but those are few and far between). The team generated another woeful hitting show--3 solo HR and a few scattered singles--The team cannot generate offense other than by HR. And since they can't get 3-run HRs, they are just going to sputter some more.

It's hard to know how Pedey's teammates took his comments. Maybe it will work: maybe it will just breed contempt... something this team already has enough of.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Just difficult to go through a season with this team playing like it is.  If the Sox continue on their present course...they may yet become "the lovable Sox" once more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for explaining that, Dustin. I just don't agree that you have great players. OK players, at great salaries, maybe.  But not great players.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]I agree, a lot of mediocrity on the '12 Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So Edith, when are you going to apologize to RedSoxDOrtiz? I'll start posting on your threads again after you do.