Dustin Pedroia needs some rest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Dustin Pedroia needs some rest

It is great that Pedroia has played and wants to play every day, but he is playing like he is a quite tired young man for the last five weeks.

His batting average has slipped about 35 points, he is not hitting the ball hard very often with lots of easy ground balls and pop ups to the right side.

He is trying to hard and has expanded his strike zone quite a bit as a result.

His leadership is unquestioned, he goes at 100% all of the time, he will tell everyone that he is fine and he will probably balk at having to sit down, but this guy needs some rest at this time.

Sit him down today and then sit him down on either side of the next off day and I bet that he starts to turn things around again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Dustin Pedroia needs some rest

would probably do him some good to take a blow now, but knowing how Jeter-like he is in that regard, Farrell better tell him by telegram :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

would probably do him some good to take a blow now, but knowing how Jeter-like he is in that regard, Farrell better tell him by telegram :-)

....while wearing a radiation/bomb proof suit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

....while wearing a radiation/bomb proof suit.

[/QUOTE] LOL..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't understand why these guys who get paid millions need a day off ( and they only work March through October, ...and not 8 hour days!!!).

I work all year, make only in the thousands, and I work 8 and 9 hour days.

When I say I want a day off, I need a damn good reason....and usually when I do use a vacation day, it's because I have work to do at home.

Ortiz gets a day off, and he's a stinking DH. How ridiculous is that? the guy sits more than half the game!

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I don't understand why these guys who get paid millions need a day off ( and they only work March through October, ...and not 8 hour days!!!).

When I say I want a day off, I need a damn good reason....and usually when I do use a vacation day, it's because I have work to do at home.

Ortiz gets a day off, and he's a stinking DH. How ridiculous is that? the guy sits more than half the game!

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

So, the more money you make, the less human and more machine-like your body becomes?

Who knew??

Someone needs s new job.

You seem really bitter towards folks that make more than you do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So because they make more money, they dont get tired? Do you work 3 weeks in a row sometimes traveling from state to state amongst other things these guys go through? Sometimes these guys only get 2-3 days off a month. Sometimes less...come on...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Pedroia had a rough July from a batting average standpoint -- .216. But his production in terms of HR (3) and RBIs (17) are what we should expect (that would be an 18 HR, 102 RBI pace).

He's batting .250 in August , including .304 in the past seven days, so he might be starting to work his way back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

pedroia is one guy i don't worry about...all players go through a rough patch..he's one guy that knows how to play the game and get himself back in it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

with the $$ they make, they should never get tired, hurt or have a slump

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

with the $$ they make, they should never get tired, hurt or have a slump

Not true, not true.

They should get tired quicker and be more likely to get injured. Carrying around such a big wallet has to be exhausting and bad for the back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Pause: two rbis for Will...a triple for Ells... A new spirit?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

You think players only show up to play the game and nothing else?  You think they don't train, lift weights, look at film?  And the off season what do you think they are doing?  No these guys work year round, it is just no all televised. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Pedroia has already been getting rest for quite awhile "batting" third in the lineup.  John Farrell needs to wake up and move this guy down in the lineup maybe to the 7th or 8th spot.

I totally agree with the poster...this guys is getting paid a zillion dollars, keep his rich rear on the field and earn some of that money.

Pedroia has never been the type of player who belongs batting in the 3rd spot.  He's not a contact hitter.  One look at him at the plate will tell you he overswings no matter where the ball is pitched.  He's just as apt to strike out as actually hit the ball. 

I'm not sure who to put in the 3rd spot but definitely it's not Pedroia and never has been. Something tells me he's a "favorite" of Farrell's.  If I had to guess at someone I'd probably pick Victorino and put Drew in the 2nd spot.

I still believe the RS made a mistake handing Pedroia the huge contract.  There's no way his ability is worth that kind of dough.  I don't care if he's another Tim Tebow in the clubhouse.

As a last comment - I've started to see too much friendliness in the dugout between Farrell and certain players, i.e. Ortiz and Pedroia.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As  FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ said.......  "We only get 18 days off a year" !!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Todays Royals vs. RS

Pedroia batting with Victorino on base:

"Pedroia popped out to second." 

He must of been resting during this at bat...

Next two at bats...

grounded out to pitcher

popped out to right field

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Overuse often equates into injury.  Not resting players at least a couple times a year is just bad managing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

It is great that Pedroia has played and wants to play every day, but he is playing like he is a quite tired young man for the last five weeks.

His batting average has slipped about 35 points, he is not hitting the ball hard very often with lots of easy ground balls and pop ups to the right side.

He is trying to hard and has expanded his strike zone quite a bit as a result.

His leadership is unquestioned, he goes at 100% all of the time, he will tell everyone that he is fine and he will probably balk at having to sit down, but this guy needs some rest at this time.

Sit him down today and then sit him down on either side of the next off day and I bet that he starts to turn things around again.

Agree... at least two days, tomorrow is an off day so would play him Wed... And please get him off the burden of hitting third... At least a couple of weeks, you will see the difference!..

Sections
Shortcuts