Earl Weaver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Earl Weaver

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Sox forum or the one for all the other teams, but it seems like Weaver was closely intertwined with the Sox during the days of Palmer, etc.

I notice on line that Earl Weaver has passed away.  Players and managers are by nature colorful people and often have memorable quotes.  One of my favorite baseball quotes came from Weaver. 

Weaver had reputedly memorized the entire rule book and could quote it 'chapter and verse' in any situation.  When asked why he did it he said it was because, "Being right isn't everything.  Being able to prove it is."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Earl Weaver

yeah, I just read that too. He passed away while on an Orioles fantasy cruise about 2am today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Baseball has lost a great manager and entertainer no one worked the umps over better than Earl Weaver.

Check out how things were under Weaver, look at the innings pitched by the starters in 1970.

Mike Cuellar: 297.2

Dave McNalley: 296

Jim Palmer: 305

Tom Phoebus: 135

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Baltimore_Orioles_season

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

"On my tombstone just write, 'The sorest loser that ever lived.'" Source: Washington Post (October 6, 1986)

Earl Weaver

Sections
Shortcuts