Early Ellsbury projection for 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Early Ellsbury projection for 2012

We should have sent Lavarnway to the API this winter. If we did we would have done more to improve next year's lineup than anything else we could have done. Lavarnway as our catcher brings a much higher OBP than Salty potentially. Add in more performance from RF either by internal improvement or the addition of a RH platoon bat and Ellsbury would have a lot more RBI opportunities next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Early Ellsbury projection for 2012:
    [QUOTE]Bean, You make a good point. Without the injury in 2010 Ellsbury was primed for a good year. If hits 20+ HR's in 2010 all the idiots would be talking about somebody else. Slo and Slower ( Slomag and Hank) are rooting for failure  so they can save a little face. Too late though Ellsbury has more big years coming. Settle in.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

I'm not rooting for failure - I'm rooting for a trade.  I have no doubt that Ellsbury will be a very good player for years to come, but I think no matter how long he plays, 2011 will be his best year.  And no matter what we do this winter, he will not be with the Sox in 2014.  A lot of GMs have pretty wide eyes right now when it comes to Ellsbury, and if we don't exploit that this off-season, I think we regret it.

Boom's got some lofty HOF comparisons for Ellsbury, but let's take a look at them.  Rickey Henderson won the MVP in 1990, hitting 28 HRs, with a .325 average.  The next two years he hit .268 & .283, with 18 & 15 HRs respectively.  Lou Brock hit 21 HRs at age 27, and never again hit more than 13.  Other than a handful of bronx short-porch HRs to right, Damon's power has been pretty consistent over the course of his career.

If Cherington announces an extension tomorrow, I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but right now all signs are screaming to trade the man while his stock is high.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Early Ellsbury projection for 2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Early Ellsbury projection for 2012 : There's not many, but Johhny Damon spiked to a 20 hr guy in his 4th year...What's lost on this entire discussion is that there's an entire season of missing data (2010) between 2009 and 2011. So what we don't know is had he been healthy and plyed an entire season would he have spkied to a 20 hr guy in 2010 thus making his 2011 look more like a progression vs a spike.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    How many slap hitters became or did not become long-ball threats by age 28 is not relevant. That topic is a red herring and cannot lead anywhere that counts. None of it has any trustworthy predictive value.  The simple fact is that Ellsbury, an individual, did become one in 2011. Reasonable explanations have been given on this thread. If they don't satisfy the doubters, there's an end to it. The argument goes nowhere. So, really, do the projections. Ellsbury may never again reach his 2011 totals, especially in dingers. I said "may."  But as matters stand he is now a long-ball threat and an XBH factory. He runs like the wind. 
    Let's watch him play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I'm not rooting for failure - I'm rooting for a trade. I have no doubt that Ellsbury will be a very good player for years to come, but I think no matter how long he plays, 2011 will be his best year. And no matter what we do this winter, he will not be with the Sox in 2014. A lot of GMs have pretty wide eyes right now when it comes to Ellsbury, and if we don't exploit that this off-season, I think we regret it.

Boom's got some lofty HOF comparisons for Ellsbury, but let's take a look at them. Rickey Henderson won the MVP in 1990, hitting 28 HRs, with a .325 average. The next two years he hit .268 & .283, with 18 & 15 HRs respectively. Lou Brock hit 21 HRs at age 27, and never again hit more than 13. Other than a handful of bronx short-porch HRs to right, Damon's power has been pretty consistent over the course of his career.

If Cherington announces an extension tomorrow, I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but right now all signs are screaming to trade the man while his stock is high.

Well said. Regret is the correct way to put it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm not sure the Red Sox will trade Ellsbury while his stock is high. I don't remember them ever doing that. Having Borass as his agent, and hearing that he doesn't really speak to anyone that much other than Jed Lowry tells me that he will go when another team offers him a lot of money. They may decide to keep him next season, but he will be gone if they don't trade him after that.

And I do worry about a potential manager who wasn't interested in talking to the Sox as well as Papelbon leaving without even asking for them to top his offer. They need to right whatever's wrong, or perceived to be wrong.