Early trend on JBJ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Early trend on JBJ

If you get ahead of him in the count, bust him high and inside for a K.  Unless he turns it around he is likely headed down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Early trend on JBJ

In response to mthomas43's comment:

If you get ahead of him in the count, bust him high and inside for a K.  Unless he turns it around he is likely headed down.

he has also been a bit sloppy in the field too. including diving at a ball he had no chance of getting to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He has not looked good. He has another couple weeks but you got to think he will be the one sent instead of benching Gomes/Nava.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He was headed down anyway in all likelihood.  Probably just a learning curve for him.  He's only got about a 1/2 season above single-A.  We're still winning, so not much reason to be concerned.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This wasn't an issue to be concerned with in the first place.  He hit 270 in AA last year.  It was bizarre how excited people were getting in spring training. he is and will be a good player, some more time in the minors wouldn't hurt him a bit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

This wasn't an issue to be concerned with in the first place.  He hit 270 in AA last year.  It was bizarre how excited people were getting in spring training. he is and will be a good player, some more time in the minors wouldn't hurt him a bit.

I think he shpuld go back to Portland when Papi's ready. That would be some Sea Dogs team with him, Bogaerts and Vazquez.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He's hitting in the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is good. His defense is terrific. Minor league ball wouldn't hurt "S Drew". Gomes and Nava will butcher LF. Bradley's part of the reason the team is off to a good start.

2 moves of incomptence were canned, but thank goodness S. Drew and Ortiz started on DL. But management still will ignore how the team has started and will make the following moves of incompetence:

Demote Iglesias in favor of "premium guy"

Demote Bradley and go with butchers in the OF in Nava and Gomes, with lower overall OBP talent (when Ortiz is a likely repeat breakdown and Nava has an option)

The consequence will be manifest in the team's performance, after these moves.

Are you saving this post to your hard drive?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He's hitting in the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is good. His defense is terrific. Minor league ball wouldn't hurt "S Drew". Gomes and Nava will butcher LF. Bradley's part of the reason the team is off to a good start.

2 moves of incomptence were canned, but thank goodness S. Drew and Ortiz started on DL. But management still will ignore how the team has started and will make the following moves of incompetence:

Demote Bradley and go with butchers in the OF in Nava and Gomes, with lower overall OBP talent (when Ortiz is a likely repeat breakdown and Nava has an option)

The thing is that minor league ball is for players on the way up so they can hone their skills and get reps so when they are thrust out in the spotlight they are ready.

I am fine if Bradley stays up, he is a good player. I am also fine if he goes down, so that he has the opportunity to hone his skills in an environment with less pressure.

It was funny how many people got excited about him hitting so well in ST when he hit 270 in AA last year.  It really was.

If he stays up the guy will play good D, hit 260  with 8 homers and have 15 steals or so. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's been one LH after another one facing him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's been one LH after another one facing him.

I agree. Some more reps in AAA against lefties would have helped.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He has not looked good. He has another couple weeks but you got to think he will be the one sent instead of benching Gomes/Nava.

Let Gomes Start Monday Want To See Him Mash The Wall, Along With Naps..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Maybe taking a little too many pitches at this point, he is a Rookie, he'll learn.

That's my guess as well.  This is all a guessing game in the pros.  Everytime you fall into a pattern, the scouts pick it up.  Then the oppsoing pitchers fall into a pattern, and JBj will pick it up.  He got three walks in his first game, but pitchers aren't likely to repeat the mistake.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Maybe taking a little too many pitches at this point, he is a Rookie, he'll learn.

That's my guess as well.  This is all a guessing game in the pros.  Everytime you fall into a pattern, the scouts pick it up.  Then the oppsoing pitchers fall into a pattern, and JBj will pick it up.  He got three walks in his first game, but pitchers aren't likely to repeat the mistake.

He will pick it up for sure.  but he will pick it up to a decent level, not to the spring training "OMG I love JB so much he is the best player ever please please let him make the team" level.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He will pick it up for sure.  but he will pick it up to a decent level, not to the spring training "OMG I love JB so much he is the best player ever please please let him make the team" level.

I would love to seem him get red-hot and be hitting so well it makes it impossible to send h im down. But if he's still batting .143 when Ortiz is ready and a decision has to be made, it could work out good for the Sox. They'll be able to send him down for a month, get the service time back on the business side and get him on track on the baseball side. Then they could bring him back in June and go from there.

I'd be willing to leve with Nava and Gomes in LF for a month, but I don't want to go the entire season with that combination.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Like I've been saying all along, JBJ may very well struggle when the season begins.  He has seen very little of pitchers above sinle A and the game is played differently outside ST.

I don't want to be that guy that says "I told you so"  because I am really rooting for the kid.  He has looked really off balance at the plate, with some big swing and miss but has maintained his superior approach which I think will ultimately help him develop into a top of the order bat, but he will struggle.

I wouldn't send him down just yet, because he adds value on defense, and will still draw some walks.  Who knows he may even make some quick adjustments, but if he's still below the Mendoza line in a couple weeks from now then he should be sent down a level. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

he has also been a bit sloppy in the field too. including diving at a ball he had no chance of getting to.

I agree, Bradley still needs work in the field and at the plate but I would still rather see him get the experience with the big club.  I also still think signing Youk to play 1B this season would have been the move to make, hes having a great start and when healthy I would take him over Nap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

BINGO  !!!!   They/TITO gave Pedroia 2 months to settle in, how did that work out ???   As DAD would say..................  "SON, the rest is HISTORY"  !!!!!

Pedroia had over 300 PAs in AAA when he came up to the bigs. JBJ has zero.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Everyone is rooting for Bradley because he made a huge impression in ST, but it is unrealistic to assume he's ready for the bigs no matter what his numbers are.  No question he is a much better outfielder than anyone else on the team, but leftfielder at Fenway is uniquely suited for a so-so outfielder who hits well.  Gomes/Nava aren't remotely as good as Ted Williams or Manny Ramirez, but right now they look like a better bet than Bradley. 

I think most of us would love to see Bradley stick and not go to Pawtucket, but most of us recognize it might be smarter to give him a little more seasoning. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

He is headed down anyway. Not enough experience in AAA ball. He has a hole in his swing as you mentioned and needs instruction on how to fix that.

Sections
Shortcuts