Early trend on JBJ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Early trend on JBJ

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He's hitting in the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is good. His defense is terrific. Minor league ball wouldn't hurt "S Drew". Gomes and Nava will butcher LF. Bradley's part of the reason the team is off to a good start.

2 moves of incomptence were canned, but thank goodness S. Drew and Ortiz started on DL. But management still will ignore how the team has started and will make the following moves of incompetence:

Demote Iglesias in favor of "premium guy"

Demote Bradley and go with butchers in the OF in Nava and Gomes, with lower overall OBP talent (when Ortiz is a likely repeat breakdown and Nava has an option)

The consequence will be manifest in the team's performance, after these moves.

BINGO  !!!!   They/TITO gave Pedroia 2 months to settle in, how did that work out ???   As DAD would say..................  "SON, the rest is HISTORY"  !!!!!

Pedey had many more AB's at AA and AAA than JBJ. Theres a difference Bill. A big One.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Jeremy Hazelbaker hit .389 this spring, and he's 6-17 thus far this year at pawtucket, with 2 HRs.  Why wasn't anybody beating the drum for this kid to get a chance in left?

actually, I did want him as our 4th Of'er :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

I'd still like a 25 game sample size, what Iglesias got last year. Hes had one good series vs NY & one not so great vs TOR. has he ever faced a knuckleball? I'm guessing not. He'll face LH Chen today, then two RHers. .143 BA looks horrendous, but he's hitting .300 w/ men on base & a .333 OBP. What's Ortiz' ETA anyway? 

That's is fair enough.  I was (am) in the camp that believed we should of ignored ST stats and promoted Bradely to Pawtucket.  Which I think still would of been an aggressive move.  But now that he is here why not give him a few more weeks and see if he can make the adjustments.  He can still walk and play great defense so he does make up for some of his shortcomings at the plate.  And he seems like he is so mature that even if he went 0-30 in the next couple series he would learn from it and not be discouraged. 

And you could very well be right all along Hugh. But Look at Iggy... Can't tell me batting .113 for 68 ML at bats didn't help him this year. Maybe JBJ didn't earn a full time ML job yet, but he earned the window he's getting. And im a firm believer it will help him further down the line, whenever that is. What better test than the immediate competition of the AL East? 

cant wait for 2 O'clock!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd still like a 25 game sample size, what Iglesias got last year. Hes had one good series vs NY & one not so great vs TOR. has he ever faced a knuckleball? I'm guessing not. He'll face LH Chen today, then two RHers. .143 BA looks horrendous, but he's hitting .300 w/ men on base & a .333 OBP. What's Ortiz' ETA anyway? 

That's is fair enough.  I was (am) in the camp that believed we should of ignored ST stats and promoted Bradely to Pawtucket.  Which I think still would of been an aggressive move.  But now that he is here why not give him a few more weeks and see if he can make the adjustments.  He can still walk and play great defense so he does make up for some of his shortcomings at the plate.  And he seems like he is so mature that even if he went 0-30 in the next couple series he would learn from it and not be discouraged. 

And you could very well be right all along Hugh. But Look at Iggy... Can't tell me batting .113 for 68 ML at bats didn't help him this year. Maybe JBJ didn't earn a full time ML job yet, but he earned the window he's getting. And im a firm believer it will help him further down the line, whenever that is. What better test than the immediate competition of the AL East? 

cant wait for 2 O'clock!

I thought the rushed Iggy too.  But for what it's worth iggys BABP is insanley high right now (.650) I don't think he can maintain that.  Now with that said I think he will hit much better than he did last year.  I've actually been a huge advocate of Iggy starting, and being much better at the plate.  It will be interesting to see where he lands when he comes back down.  Hopefully it's something respectable in the .260-.280 range. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

These early travails are a test of character as well as talent.  He seems to be doing well on both counts. As for his anemic hitting, he seems to be taking the long view and not panicking.

If there was anything to shake his confidence, IMHO, it was being deeked by Mariano Rivera - who is virtually given the corners 6 inches off the plate these days by the umpires at Yankee Stadium by virtue of the fact that he is, well, Mariano Rivera.

Blind umps notwithstanding, he seems to have a good eye for the ball. Let's wait and see how he does at Fenway before sending him down, I think.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He just has to adjust to MLB caliber pitching and the way they are going after him.  He'll figure it out. The talent is there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

right now the Sox are winning DESPITE him

No, the Sox don't win the first two games in NY, without him. Your resentment is manifest.

actually there is only grounds to say the sox don't win one game without that amazing catch he made.  But to be fair, another outfielder (especially one who is known to be weaker) would have been playing deeper.  So you can't play the what could of been game, besides what if Gomes hit 2 bombs in that game?

Reality is JBJ is doing exactly what I said he would do when spring training ended.  Will he learn? get better? improve? yes and probably become the star we all know he will be.  His time just isn't RIGHT NOW. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The 523 OPS is not great. If he doesnt make the adjustments in the next two weeks he made the roster move very easy to make. It is not worst thing in the world to let him find his swing again in AAA, especially since he knows his weaknesses.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

They didn't rush Iggy last year. The team was in the toilet last year and that was the best time to bring him up. He spent last September learning and gaining experience... had they waited until now he just might be batting .188

Overall they rushed Iggy's development.  Look back to when he was 20, he should have repeated protland rather he played a big league game when most of our draft prospects are playing in single A. Plus he came from Cuba and didn't have the luxury of facing collegiate pitchers.....Iggy was rushed. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

6 games against live pitching is more telling than 4 weeks of spring training.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

He just has to adjust to MLB caliber pitching and the way they are going after him.  He'll figure it out. The talent is there.

No doubt he will be a good ML player. The question is what gets him there quicker. More time at AAA or being thrown to the wolves?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

.333 is an OK OBP, not good. north of .350 is good. .143 is a terrible BA.

yes, I've noticed Napoli's BA and his OBP.

With the defense Bradley provides, .333 OBP is plenty good enough. Since he's the #8 hitter, he isn't going to get a lot of fat pitches to look at it and drive. It is noteworthy that Iggy is getting better pitches to look at. In the end, a BA after 6 games is meaningless.

Hes struggling a bit as most of us expected. its not a knock on the kid. The team has won with very little help from JBJ.

The team got a lot of help in the first two games in NY, and have had plenty of help from his defense and getting on base. Your comment is loaded, which is what a managment shill is going to do. Tell John to get back with me on "Premium guy". Tell him "premium defender".

In fact, he hasn't struggled a bit. If that were true, for a #8 hitter in front of Iggy, his OBP wouldn't be whre it is. I like how the whiners on "spring training means nothing" are now making assessments on plate work based on 6 games. Incomptent.

He will be a solid MLB player soon enough. He still needs a little seasoning in AAA when Papi gets back. The people who expected him to almost carry this team because of a good ST have experienced a good reality check. ST numbers dont mean much. Get the 20 days when Papi comes back. No big deal.

Napoli could use some seasoning in AAA, and Drew needs more seasoning in AAA.

No one suggested "he would carry the team". But it was expected he'd provide the team with energy and excitement and great difense. He did that and was the face of the opening day win, which had to be a reality check for you when Gomes was standin gout there watching Cano's ball sail over his head for a triple and 2 or 3 runs early in the game. A good reality check is S. Drew and his 10 million dollar contract, and comments like "premium guy".

Don't patronize with the "reality check". And tell managment that "premium guy" is an embarrassing excuse to try and validate the incomptence it took to offer S. Drew a 10 million contract.

Mike Napoli's OPS is almost 100 point higher than Bradley's. It is okay, Bradley has one more week maybe two, if he continues not to produce would it just be better for everyone if he was set down?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

6 games against "life pitching" is not more telling than 4 weeks of spring training. A month of live pitching isn't even enough, which Pedroia is but one example.

Anyone stating "6 games" for any plate work is much of anything might offer S. Drew 10 million.

How long you going to defend him for? He is obviously being rushed.  It's not like he is mashing the ball right at people.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

No doubt he will be a good ML player. The question is what gets him there quicker. More time at AAA or being thrown to the wolves?

Well , that remains to be seen. I wouldn't let him struggle for too long. But I would give him a little more time to adjust before sending him down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

6 games against "life pitching" is not more telling than 4 weeks of spring training. A month of live pitching isn't even enough, which Pedroia is but one example.

Anyone stating "6 games" for any plate work is much of anything might offer S. Drew 10 million.

Pedey had over 300 PAs at AAA. JBJ has zero.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Salty isn't mashing the ball right at people.

I defend any player who is a terrific defensive OF'er and who gets on base in front of Iggy, in the #8 batting order.

Wait utnil Gomes and Nava and S. Drew tansform this team on the defensive end, with their slugging.

Pedroia was rushed, in his develpment.

At the end of the day, it's about winning. This team is winning, with Iglesias and Bradley. Let's see how they do when managment iplements the master plan, Drew and Gomes/Nava.

It's so cute listening to you when you're wrong..... look at you....sitting in the basment with your brow all scrunched up making a pouty face.....  Awwwwwwww......like a little upset puppy. 

It's ok little guy.....I have some news that will turn that little frown upside down:  Ellbury is off to a very solid start!! YAY!!!  See.....now that's a better smile......good boy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I defend any player who is a terrific defensive OF'er and who gets on base in front of Iggy, in the #8 batting order.

Wait utnil Gomes and Nava and S. Drew tansform this team on the defensive end, with their slugging.

At the end of the day, it's about winning. This team is winning, with Iglesias and Bradley. Let's see how they do when managment iplements the master plan, Drew and Gomes/Nava.

It's so cute listening to you when you're wrong..... look at you....sitting in the basment with your brow all scrunched up making a pouty face.....  Awwwwwwww......like a little upset puppy. 

It's ok little guy.....I have some news that will turn that little frown upside down:  Ellbury is off to a very solid start!! YAY!!!  See.....now that's a better smile......good boy.

The pitching can give up 15 runs tonight but if we lose....It's because Bradley didn't start in left. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Well , that remains to be seen. I wouldn't let him struggle for too long. But I would give him a little more time to adjust before sending him down.

I agree that hes going to be that special player we all think hes going to be. Im not so sure its right now though. JBJ has had limited AB's against AA pitching and none in AAA. good MLB pitchers are going to and have exposed his weaknesses. Its probably best he gets some time in AAA, where there are guys who have been in MLB and good pitchers waiting for their chance with their respective MLB teams. He can work on his weaknesses while not hurting the big club and without nearly as much pressure to perform.

besides his walks, hes done pretty much nothing at the plate. Hes made a great catch in NY and made a bad play in Toronto. I think more time in AAA will help both JBJ and the team. When papi returns, they will have some decisions to make.

Hes had a little taste of MLB and he can take all hes learned so far with him and return a much better player and more prepared.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

The pitching can give up 15 runs tonight but if we lose....It's because Bradley didn't start in left. 

yeah, and I dont recall Pedey being "rushed".  If softy thinks Pedey was rushed, then by his thinking JBJ has no business here right now.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts