Early trend on JBJ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

Re: Early trend on JBJ

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He's hitting in the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is good. His defense is terrific. Minor league ball wouldn't hurt "S Drew". Gomes and Nava will butcher LF. Bradley's part of the reason the team is off to a good start.

2 moves of incomptence were canned, but thank goodness S. Drew and Ortiz started on DL. But management still will ignore how the team has started and will make the following moves of incompetence:

Demote Iglesias in favor of "premium guy"

Demote Bradley and go with butchers in the OF in Nava and Gomes, with lower overall OBP talent (when Ortiz is a likely repeat breakdown and Nava has an option)

The consequence will be manifest in the team's performance, after these moves.

The thing is that minor league ball is for players on the way up so they can hone their skills and get reps so when they are thrust out in the spotlight they are ready.

I am fine if Bradley stays up, he is a good player. I am also fine if he goes down, so that he has the opportunity to hone his skills in an environment with less pressure.

It was funny how many people got excited about him hitting so well in ST when he hit 270 in AA last year.  It really was.

If he stays up the guy will play good D, hit 260  with 8 homers and have 15 steals or so. 

have to disagree with your first part of the post. Mike Trout hit 220 then went back down to AAA, used his at bats to fix what he needed to that he learned from his major stint, and was a monster next time up. I Honestly think that is how most prospects should be handled unless they are clear superstars 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to mthomas43's comment:

If you get ahead of him in the count, bust him high and inside for a K.  Unless he turns it around he is likely headed down.

That play would have been very tough to make even if he hadn't dived for the ball. It was a sinking line drive off to his left. I suspect it would have got past him no matter how he played it. Assuming we are talking about the same play.

he has also been a bit sloppy in the field too. including diving at a ball he had no chance of getting to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Love the kids ability but if he don't start spankinng the ball again he will be back in the minors faster than you can say Saltalamacchia!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

If you get ahead of him in the count, bust him high and inside for a K.  Unless he turns it around he is likely headed down.

That play would have been very tough to make even if he hadn't dived for the ball. It was a sinking line drive off to his left. I suspect it would have got past him no matter how he played it. Assuming we are talking about the same play.

he has also been a bit sloppy in the field too. including diving at a ball he had no chance of getting to.

if he played it off the hop he would have got it IMO. he tried to dive and get the out and ended up just looking foolish. If he pulled up and played it off the hop he would have fielded it cleanly. just my thought though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

So, All you smart T-BALLERS, who are you going to replace him with ??????  The pitchers love him & IGGY too !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

So, All you smart T-BALLERS, who are you going to replace him with ??????  The pitchers love him & IGGY too !!!

this might sound a little crazy but bear with me....... how about the guys who were slated to play LF before JBJs impressive ST??? that would be Gomes and Nava in case you forgot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

JBJ needs to go to Pawtucket when Papi comes back and get 80-100 AAA at bats before coming back up for good.  That will take care of the service time and get him more experience with some success.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Jeremy Hazelbaker hit .389 this spring, and he's 6-17 thus far this year at pawtucket, with 2 HRs.  Why wasn't anybody beating the drum for this kid to get a chance in left?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Jeremy Hazelbaker hit .389 this spring, and he's 6-17 thus far this year at pawtucket, with 2 HRs.  Why wasn't anybody beating the drum for this kid to get a chance in left?

He seems to be the forgotten man. Great combination of speed and some power .  Deserves a lot more consideration than he has been getting.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

He seems to be the forgotten man. Great combination of speed and some power .  Deserves a lot more consideration than he has been getting.  

He's interesting to watch.  No ne seems to think he will have the hit tool to play at the bigs.  But his speed is so good he could play off the bench now, and he seemed to develop power out of nowhere last year so maybe that pushes his ceiling a little higher.  I have a feeling he could be an important throw in for a trade this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

The pitchers are really loving his sloppy out in LF but hey he has range and a strong arm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

master of the obvious

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is kind of laughable. The Ellsbury fans take shots at Bradley. The Bradley fans take shots at Ellsbury. They are teammates. They can play together. They both can help the Sox win this year. Why not support the team , instead of your own agenda ? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Demote Bradley and go with butchers in the OF in Nava and Gomes, with lower overall OBP talent (when Ortiz is a likely repeat breakdown and Nava has an option)

Newsflash: a strict Nava/Gomes platoon would create an OBP that would top any FT player on the team.

Gomes kills lefties, and Nava has an excellent OBP vs RHPs over his career.

JBJ is a much better fielder, but there's no need to stretch the facts to make your position appear better.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Assumptions that Bradley won't hit are dubious. If he has a hole in his swing he will simply go out and work on that to the point where his exposed weakness becomes a strength. That's his make-up. He's just going to keep getting better and better. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It is kind of laughable. The Ellsbury fans take shots at Bradley. The Bradley fans take shots at Ellsbury. They are teammates. They can play together. They both can help the Sox win this year. Why not support the team , instead of your own agenda ? 

I don't take shots at either of them.

All I said was the hysteria caused by Bradley's Spring training was laughable and that he will be a good player but might need some more time to develop. That isn't taking a shot at a guy who has 270 AA at bats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I don't take shots at either of them.

All I said was the hysteria caused by Bradley's Spring training was laughable and that he will be a good player but might need some more time to develop. That isn't taking a shot at a guy who has 270 AA at bats.

Exactly, people are thinking as if we've been cheering against him.  We just recognize how meaningless ST stats can be.  Yes he will learn and get better, but this isn't the NFL and we have a place for that; the minor league system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I want the guy to succeed.  He will succeed. Me pointing out that if he doesn't succeed right this second it is okay for him to get more at bats in the minors is not taking a shot at him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Goes to show you what all of us.....except for 2 people...were saying....SPRING TRAINING STATS DO NOT ALWAYS CONTINUE INTO THE REGULAR SEASON!!!

The kid is a great prospect and I was very happy to see him make the team because he has EARNED it.  However....he is young...has options and right now is not performing ANYWHERE near his Spring stats.  When Ortiz comes up it makes the most sense to put him double or triple A to help find his game again and then he can be brought back up.  The BEST part of all of this is the people who said that if he is not here we could lose a bunch of games.....right now the Sox are winning DESPITE him.  Huge fan of the kid....but as many here say....You need to field the best team.... Right now Nava and Gomes are playing well and tearing the cover off the ball.  Sure the defense may not be the same in Left but really guys......it's not like we will go on a losing streak due to a weaker fileder in left field for crying out loud!! 

As for the Drew/Iggy thing.....  totally different situation so people need to stop comparing the two.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nave and Gomes turn an outstanding defensive OF into a weak defensive OF. The notion that these bench guys can produce at the plate enough to offset that is utterly absurd.

1) I never said it was enough to offset the defense, but LF defense, especially in Fenway, is not as big as you imagine it to be.

2) I was responding to your comment that Nava/Gomes had "lower OBP talent". I see, you didn't defend your position, but again, distracted from the issue.

If Bradley wasn't getting on base, perhaps putting those two butchers in LF would be a better option. But Bradley is getting on base. I'd say one week is too early to be claiming "overmatched", for a guy who is getting on base. Gomes and Nava are bench role guys, without any doubt.

If Ells had a .333 OBP, you'd be all over him. .333 is not really that good for LF in MLB. I still want Bradley playing, but I had envisioned trading Ellsbury, and having a Gomes/Nava platoon in LF once Papi returns.

At the end of the day, if managment pulls the early plug on Bradley and Iglesias, the team will go from a strong defensive team to a weak defensive team. No slugging from S. Drew and more Nava and Gomes is going to offset that. The pitching game stats will dedline, as well as the character of the team.

I agree, but we all know those two days are coming.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'd still like a 25 game sample size, what Iglesias got last year. Hes had one good series vs NY & one not so great vs TOR. has he ever faced a knuckleball? I'm guessing not. He'll face LH Chen today, then two RHers. .143 BA looks horrendous, but he's hitting .300 w/ men on base & a .333 OBP. What's Ortiz' ETA anyway? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I'd still like a 25 game sample size, what Iglesias got last year. Hes had one good series vs NY & one not so great vs TOR. has he ever faced a knuckleball? I'm guessing not. He'll face LH Chen today, then two RHers. .143 BA looks horrendous, but he's hitting .300 w/ men on base & a .333 OBP. What's Ortiz' ETA anyway? 

That's is fair enough.  I was (am) in the camp that believed we should of ignored ST stats and promoted Bradely to Pawtucket.  Which I think still would of been an aggressive move.  But now that he is here why not give him a few more weeks and see if he can make the adjustments.  He can still walk and play great defense so he does make up for some of his shortcomings at the plate.  And he seems like he is so mature that even if he went 0-30 in the next couple series he would learn from it and not be discouraged. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He's hitting in the bottom of the lineup. His OBP is good. His defense is terrific. Minor league ball wouldn't hurt "S Drew". Gomes and Nava will butcher LF. Bradley's part of the reason the team is off to a good start.

2 moves of incomptence were canned, but thank goodness S. Drew and Ortiz started on DL. But management still will ignore how the team has started and will make the following moves of incompetence:

Demote Iglesias in favor of "premium guy"

The consequence will be manifest in the team's performance, after these moves.

.333 is an OK OBP, not good. north of .350 is good. .143 is a terrible BA.

Hes struggling a bit as most of us expected. its not a knock on the kid. The team has won with very little help from JBJ. He will be a solid MLB player soon enough. He still needs a little seasoning in AAA when Papi gets back. The people who expected him to almost carry this team because of a good ST have experienced a good reality check. ST numbers dont mean much. Get the 20 days when Papi comes back. No big deal.