Easier to swallow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Easier to swallow?

I've been wondering why the ones on this forum who were so optimistic at the beginning of the year, and thought we would cruise into the playoffs, are the same ones who have now given up with 40 games left to play, and the Sox not mathematically eliminated, not even close.

And it dawned on me. These so-called die-hard RS fans have has their hopes dashed so many times in the past, it's easier to give up now than to have the team go on a run, get real close, then see the dream snatched away, like it has happened before.
    Easier to swallow.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Easier to swallow?

Who are you referring to specifically?  Got a few names for us? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Why is the Thread Bearer acting like a Holy Sox Fan after basically bashing the pizz out of the team all last year? Seriosuly how many threads will you start this week on this matter?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Easier to swallow?:
    [QUOTE]I've been wondering why the ones on this forum who were so optimistic at the beginning of the year, and thought we would cruise into the playoffs, are the same ones who have now given up with 40 games left to play, and the Sox not mathematically eliminated, not even close. And it dawned on me. These so-called die-hard RS fans have has their hopes dashed so many times in the past, it's easier to give up now than to have the team go on a run, get real close, then see the dream snatched away, like it has happened before. Easier to swallow.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

As I remember Ike, there were not very many on this board in the 'so optimistic' crowd at the beginning of the year.  I certainly was (always am, for better or for worse) and I haven't given up yet.  If they just fade away, as it certainly seems like the will do, then so be it.  I will begin my fantasies of how 2013 will be a dramatic rise from the ashes.  But, if they make a run and fall short, I have no problem with that.  At least it will be an exciting September.  I don't know about the whole Dream Dashing thing in that case.  Dream dash is Dent, Buckner, Boone.  The highest stakes moments.  Making an ill-fated run for a wild-card spot is hardly setting up for the big crash.  We've had much much worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Easier to swallow?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Easier to swallow? : As I remember Ike, there were not very many on this board in the 'so optimistic' crowd at the beginning of the year.  I certainly was (always am, for better or for worse) and I haven't given up yet.  If they just fade away, as it certainly seems like the will do, then so be it.  I will begin my fantasies of how 2013 will be a dramatic rise from the ashes.  But, if they make a run and fall short, I have no problem with that.  At least it will be an exciting September.  I don't know about the whole Dream Dashing thing in that case.  Dream dash is Dent, Buckner, Boone.  The highest stakes moments.  Making an ill-fated run for a wild-card spot is hardly setting up for the big crash.  We've had much much worse.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

True. Last year was a crash.
    If they made a run and fell short, at least I could go into the off-season knowing the team gave it all they had.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Get Beckett out of the bathtub and save the bathwater.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Why ? You want a drink.............

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Insanity is supporting the same players' player leadership and expecting a different result. I knew this team failed to change the status quo from 2011, and that this team was not a contender. I said this team was not a title contender for 2012, status quo. I didn't know that they would have problems being an expanded WC contender, along with other pretender teams.

I knew.  I said.  I knew.  I said.  Yet again, you win the If I Had a Cookie I Would Give It To You Right Now award.  Congrats.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easier to swallow? : I knew.  I said.  I knew.  I said.  Yet again, you win the If I Had a Cookie I Would Give It To You Right Now award.  Congrats.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

What's with everyone needing a pat on the back here?

Not enough hugs from mom?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]I've been wondering why the ones on this forum who were so optimistic at the beginning of the year, and thought we would cruise into the playoffs, are the same ones who have now given up with 40 games left to play, and the Sox not mathematically eliminated, not even close. And it dawned on me. These so-called die-hard RS fans have has their hopes dashed so many times in the past, it's easier to give up now than to have the team go on a run, get real close, then see the dream snatched away, like it has happened before. Easier to swallow.

Nope.  Its because we thought that this team would enter 2012 ready to play.  We thought that they would determined to change their public perception and wash the bitterness of the 2011 collapse away.

Some of us thought that Beckett and LEster were goign to show up extra motivated after the media driven lashing they took this last offseason.  We thought they would be more than eager to prove the rest of the world wrong.

Instead, its been more of the same.  True, we are not mathematically eliminated.  But from a realistic standpoint, there arent many signs that we are going to turn it around.  Now CC and Middlebrooks are done for the season.   We just got creamed by the Os in a series where if we were determined to turn it around, should have started there.

For every step forward this year , there has been a step back.  And there is no reason for that to change.  It may be for the betterment of this team to focus on 2013.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Sincerely, I miss Johnny Pesky. That avatar evokes good memories.

Same here...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

There is truth in what you say.  People have said that they'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than have high expectations/hope and be deeply disappointed.  

It's a lot easier for people to count the team out, then pat themselves on the back like they are some kind of geniuses when the team falls short, then it is to continue to hope, even when you know the odds painfully slim. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Easier to swallow? : Nope.  Its because we thought that this team would enter 2012 ready to play.  We thought that they would determined to change their public perception and wash the bitterness of the 2011 collapse away. Some of us thought that Beckett and LEster were goign to show up extra motivated after the media driven lashing they took this last offseason.  We thought they would be more than eager to prove the rest of the world wrong. Instead, its been more of the same.  True, we are not mathematically eliminated.  But from a realistic standpoint, there arent many signs that we are going to turn it around.  Now CC and Middlebrooks are done for the season.   We just got creamed by the Os in a series where if we were determined to turn it around, should have started there. For every step forward this year , there has been a step back.  And there is no reason for that to change.  It may be for the betterment of this team to focus on 2013.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Yup. I was sure this team would want to do everything they could to get the bad taste of last Sept out of their mouths.

Didn't happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easier to swallow? : Yup. I was sure this team would want to do everything they could to get the bad taste of last Sept out of their mouths. Didn't happen.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

If we were going to turn it around, it would have needed to happen at least 2 weeks ago.  We are 7 games behind two teams that are playing well.

Because they are playing well, expecting them to finish anything under .550 the rest of the way is unreasonable.  So lets assume they play .550 ball.

Tampa = 40 games left.  .550 ball equates to 22 additional wins. Added to the 68  they have = 90 wins.

Baltimore = 40 games left.  .550 ball equates to 22 additional wins.  Added to the 66 they have = 88 wins.

Lets assume that one of these teams completely collapses. 
    Unfortunately, Det is also right there.  Lets assume Det plays .550 ball the rest of the way (22 wins) + 64 they already have = 86.

Its completely unrealistic to assume that 2/3 teams collapse.  So the sox are going to need to get 86 (at the very least).

86 - 59 = 27 wins.  27/40 = .675.

So the Sox would have to play their last 40 games at a .675 winning percentage to have a shot.  This is using conservative numbers.  With no CC, and no Middlebrooks, and with the team 4-6 in their last 10, this is a long shot at least.

Just trying to be realistic here.  Its still possible.  And 2 weeks ago, I was as optimistic as you.  But they've played lousy over the last 2 weeks.  "Back against the wall" motivation (which I believe is a real thing) should have kicked in by now.  And with this "we have to win NOW" additional motivation, the team has continued to struggle.  To me, thats a sign that it may not be our year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I think a misconception about those of us who hold out hope is that we don't understand the math, the percentages, or the likelihood of the Red Sox making it into the playoffs.  The terms delusional and irrational are often thrown out there.

I will cling to my sliver of hope until the team is mathematically eliminated.  That doesn't mean I am delusional.  I am fully aware of what our chances are, and of how unlikely it is that the Sox makes the playoffs this year. 

Did anyone, in their wildest imagination, think the Sox would play .259 ball last September?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]I think a misconception about those of us who hold out hope is that we don't understand the math, the percentages, or the likelihood of the Red Sox making it into the playoffs.  The terms delusional and irrational are often thrown out there. I will cling to my sliver of hope until the team is mathematically eliminated.  That doesn't mean I am delusional.  I am fully aware of what our chances are, and of how unlikely it is that the Sox makes the playoffs this year.  Did anyone, in their wildest imagination, think the Sox would play .259 ball last September?
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Good post Kimmi. Seriously.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Easier to swallow? : Nope.  Its because we thought that this team would enter 2012 ready to play.  We thought that they would determined to change their public perception and wash the bitterness of the 2011 collapse away. Some of us thought that Beckett and LEster were goign to show up extra motivated after the media driven lashing they took this last offseason.  We thought they would be more than eager to prove the rest of the world wrong. Instead, its been more of the same.  True, we are not mathematically eliminated.  But from a realistic standpoint, there arent many signs that we are going to turn it around.  Now CC and Middlebrooks are done for the season.   We just got creamed by the Os in a series where if we were determined to turn it around, should have started there. For every step forward this year , there has been a step back.  And there is no reason for that to change.  It may be for the betterment of this team to focus on 2013.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Some of us knew that going in....That's why I had a very short leash.  I was ready to focus on 2013 in late April.  But I kinda feel for the "hang in there" trick which lasted a few more weeks.......How many times did I post early in the season with my "HUGE RED FLAG" remarks that this team had no chance???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easier to swallow? : Some of us knew that going in....That's why I had a very short leash.  I was ready to focus on 2013 in late April.  But I kinda feel for the "hang in there" trick which lasted a few more weeks.......How many times did I post early in the season with my "HUGE RED FLAG" remarks that this team had no chance???
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Yes, Andrew! You were right all along, Andrew!
    You da man, Andrew!!  We never should've doubted a single post from you Andrew!

There.

Will you stop whining now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Easier to swallow? : Some of us knew that going in....That's why I had a very short leash.  I was ready to focus on 2013 in late April.  But I kinda feel for the "hang in there" trick which lasted a few more weeks.......How many times did I post early in the season with my "HUGE RED FLAG" remarks that this team had no chance???
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Oh, my apologies.  i almost gave the If I Had a Cookie I'D Give It To You Now prize to Softy today.  Too soon it seems.  You are the first repeat winner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

See, and I actually thought the team had a chance, but that chance was officially unplugged during a week of Votes of Confidence for the Italian Stallion manager, the guy who didn't get suspended for saying Boston is not a good place for free agents to sign because of the "noise." Why stop there, BV, just say what you've been trying to say all year, "I can't handle managing here, and I regret taking the job 10 years after my last MLB job ended so poorly."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Have you watched any baseball all year?
    Do you see the roster?
    Is Josh Beckett still in the rotation?

If you can't do the math, here it is:

1. The Red Sox are not catching Tampa, do you agree? If Tampa played .500 the rest of the way (highly unlikely), the Red Sox would have to go 29-11 the rest of the way. Do you see them playing .725 ball? No, okay good.

2. Assuming that one of Baltimore, Oakland or Detroit (I'm even throwing out LA), plays to their percentage the rest of the way, one of those teams will win 87 games.

In order for the Red Sox to reach 87 wins, they would need to win 28 of 40 games. Do you see that happening? No, okay.

3. Seattle is a better baseball team than the Red Sox right now. How sad is that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You start one thread claiming it's hopeless then another claiming there's a shot.

Sections
Shortcuts