Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox...

Look the Sox have the money and cash with these moves so here it goes...

1. Sign Michael Cuddyer for RF. Solid dependable workhorse who would be a great fit for fenway and a great club house guy.

2. Move Youk to DH and occasional relief for 1st and 3rd base extending his career as there would be less wear and tear on him.

3. Take the deal for Garza, you have a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, Garza, Aceves. SIgn Wakefield to a one year deal that gives him a shot at the 7 or so wins he needs to remove Clemens from the top of the wins list.  It also gives you a guy who can long relief in garbage time and spot start.

4. Go sign Aramis Rameriez to a 3 year deal and realise that he is your third baseman for no more then 2 years and that third year he becomes your DH when Youk's deal is done or he is traded whatever.

5. Now here is the one that should happen... Heath Bell. I am not sold on Bard as the closer. I would even be willing to stretch him into a starter before meaking him a closer and make him the 5th starter and keep Aceves in the role he excelled at this past year.

Now what do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox...

If Papi walks, then #1 and#2 could happen. Love to get Gaza.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I like the Cuddyer move, the others not so much, and moving Aceves further weakens the bull-pen, which already is biggest concern moving forward. The Sox must get to work on getting some reliable arms for pen or better get an offense that can score 7 runs each and every night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sounds good on paper, excecpt the part about keeping Wakefield. I loved the guy, but enough is enough. Yastrzemski, Petrocelli, Rice and many other beloved RedSox knew when to call it a day , why can't Wakefield see the writing on the wall?

I wonder if Aramis Ramirez would accept a 3 year deal? I wouldn't want him past 36 years old. I doubt he'd go for it, he will likely be seeking a 5 year deal to get him to 38 yr's old. He's coming off a good year. Chances are he would seek the longer term.

I would love Garza, but I wonder if he would be a disappointment like the other former Rays (Lugo and Crawford) were in their initial years? Seems like once these guys get off to a bad start, the media and fans won't get off their backs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

I like the enthusiasm but IMO there is no way they have the financial ability to make those moves happen, nor are they all really all that necessary. A-Gon's raise kicking in along with Ells huge arbitration leap seemingly eats up most of the money thats coming off the books. They may be willing to slightly exceed the luxury tax threshhold, but I doubt they would just blow it away with a flurry of moves like this. 

First off, Papi could monkey wrench that whole plan by just accepting arbitration, but even if he doesnt and he lands elsewhere (opening up DH for Youk), I dont see them going with Aramis Ramirez for 3 years at 12-15 per year. Garza would be a very welcome addition obviously, but didnt know there was a clear cut deal there for the taking. Everyone has opinions, mine is that I'd rather see them pass on giving 10 million a year for 3/4 years to Cuddyer. Especially now with Valentine in place as it is said that he works well with young players and implementing effective platoon situations. Scoring runs is not and will not be a problem with this team, they got by with virtually nothing outta RF last season and still were among the most potent offensive teams in baseball. Just my 2 cents, but I think Cuddyer's $$$ would be better spent on pitching. 

I like Heath Bell also, but he wont come cheap. Dont get me wrong I see your reasoning, just dont think there is anyway possible financially that they could sign 3 pricey FA's like Bell, Cuddyer, and Aramis while at the same time pulling off a trade for Garza. Thats a pretty ambitious plan for a newbie GM with very little in the way of money to spend and prospects to deal. 

I'll be happy with some bullpen insurance for Bard and some depth on the backside of the rotation. Just my 2 cents. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

I think Cuddyer would be a good signing, as Mike can play in the outfield and at 3B. Think versatility is the key to improving the Red Sox.  I don't see the need or the risk of signing Aramis. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox...:
    [QUOTE]Look the Sox have the money and cash with these moves so here it goes... 1. Sign  Michael Cuddyer for RF. Solid dependable workhorse who would be a great fit for fenway and a great club house guy. 2. Move Youk to DH and occasional relief for 1st and 3rd base extending his career as there would be less wear and tear on him. 3. Take the deal for Garza, you have a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, Garza, Aceves. SIgn Wakefield to a one year deal that gives him a shot at the 7 or so wins he needs to remove Clemens from the top of the wins list.  It also gives you a guy who can long relief in garbage time and spot start. 4. Go sign Aramis   Rameriez to a 3 year deal and realise that he is your third baseman for no more then 2 years and that third year he becomes your DH when Youk's deal is done or he is traded whatever. 5. Now here is the one that should happen... Heath Bell. I am not sold on Bard as the closer. I would even be willing to stretch him into a starter before meaking him a closer and make him the 5th starter and keep Aceves in the role he excelled at this past year. Now what do you think?
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Take what deal for Garza??  Did I miss something?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Look the Sox have the money and cash with these moves so here it goes... 1. Sign  Michael Cuddyer for RF. Solid dependable workhorse who would be a great fit for fenway and a great club house guy. 2. Move Youk to DH and occasional relief for 1st and 3rd base extending his career as there would be less wear and tear on him. 3. Take the deal for Garza, you have a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, Garza, Aceves. SIgn Wakefield to a one year deal that gives him a shot at the 7 or so wins he needs to remove Clemens from the top of the wins list.  It also gives you a guy who can long relief in garbage time and spot start. 4. Go sign Aramis   Rameriez to a 3 year deal and realise that he is your third baseman for no more then 2 years and that third year he becomes your DH when Youk's deal is done or he is traded whatever. 5. Now here is the one that should happen... Heath Bell. I am not sold on Bard as the closer. I would even be willing to stretch him into a starter before meaking him a closer and make him the 5th starter and keep Aceves in the role he excelled at this past year. Now what do you think?

What trading chips would be used to get Garza ?      Also, Michael Cuddyer,  Aramis Ramirez, and Heath Bell won't sign for peanuts and John Henry doesn't want to exceed the luxury tax.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox...:
    [QUOTE]I think Cuddyer would be a good signing, as Mike can play in the outfield and at 3B. Think versatility is the key to improving the Red Sox.  I don't see the need or the risk of signing Aramis. 
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

Yes on Cuddyer,Garza, and Bell(or other bullpen help, either closer or setup).
    No on aramis.  Too much $.  Let youk/lowrie/aviles man 3rd.  Let the team split DH, letting papi walk.  If he accepts arb, you can always cut him if you do not win the award.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

1. Yes, if not him, then Beltran.  Let Papi walks!!
    2. no.  Youkilis stays at 3b, and hopefully middlebrook can be ready to take over 3B sooner.  If not, then find a new one after 2012 season.  Aramis is too expensive and also an injure proned player like Youkilis.
    3. Yes on Garza, and no to Wakefield.
    4. no see above.
    5. Yes only if he accept less money, less year.  Right now he is rumored wanting 3yrs/30mm!!  Same goes to Madson.  Possible I can say no for now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox... : Take what deal for Garza??  Did I miss something?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]
    I'm with CASox on this one ... is there a deal?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

All NOs Twins will not lose out on Cuddyer after all those years of his service.  Youk will be our 3rd baseman for 2012.  He can't be moved to DH because Sox have to go out and find a good one to replace his bat and defense and it's going to be other than Aramis.  Garza will be more expensive (in terms of trade value) for the Sox to acquire than any other teams because Theo is the Cubs GM now.  I just don't see Sox pouring in our whole farm system for Garza.  Remember, Cubs sent 4 prospects to the Rays for Garza last year.  It will take more than that now.  Wakefield no.  He will have to get 2 years contract to be the pitcher with the most wins in Sox history.  And even Wakefield himself don't expect 2 yr contract from the Sox. 

Bell actually had the decent chance to land but the rumors are Marlins and Blue Jays are seriously pursuing him.  Not the Sox.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Seanny, good analysis.  I wonder if the attention and time spent on hiring a new Manager has distracted the FO from so many other issues?  Time will tell.  Of course, the distraction may have help prevent some bad decisions also which in the long run may be of benefit.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I'm not sure I could stand Garza's incessant glove waggling and spitting regardless of how he'd help the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You're looking to add $20M+ in offense that already finished 1st in scoring.  I'd spring a RH RF, but that's about it.

No to aceves in the rotation.  He was too valuable in the BP, and we'd only need to pay serious $$$ to replace him.

No to Garza.  I there are other alternatives that won't gut the system.  We need to be stocking up on prospects.

Bell is a decent choice, but I'd like to keep the terms short.  2 years plus a reasonable option.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

SIgn Wakefield to a one year deal that gives him a shot at the 7 or so wins he needs

No, the last thing the Red Sox GM needs to do is repeat the same ceremonial fiasco that lead to collapse of 2011. Deep six Wastefield ceremonial tour and be all business in constructing 2012 roster, devoid of parasitic freeloaders.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Please no Cuddyer.  I'd rather see Beltran, and I'm starting to get intrigued by Cespedes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Easy Hot Stove fixes for Sox... : Take what deal for Garza??  Did I miss something?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

The one where we give up players and the Cubs give up Garza.

If the Cubs really do shop Garza, it would be tough for Boston anyway.  The Yankees have the better regarded prospects and the greater need...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look the Sox have the money and cash with these moves so here it goes...

1. Sign Michael Cuddyer for RF. Solid dependable workhorse who would be a great fit for fenway and a great club house guy.

No way for that kind of money.

2. Move Youk to DH and occasional relief for 1st and 3rd base extending his career as there would be less wear and tear on him.

I don't mind him at DH, but "extending his career" is just 2 years here until he's a FA.

3. Take the deal for Garza, you have a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, Garza, Aceves. SIgn Wakefield to a one year deal that gives him a shot at the 7 or so wins he needs to remove Clemens from the top of the wins list.  It also gives you a guy who can long relief in garbage time and spot start.

I think Wandy R. is a better team trade fit with us. They need "far-away" prospects and we have them.

4. Go sign Aramis Rameriez to a 3 year deal and realise that he is your third baseman for no more then 2 years and that third year he becomes your DH when Youk's deal is done or he is traded whatever.

Way too much money.

5. Now here is the one that should happen... Heath Bell. 

Your closest best choice.

I am not sold on Bard as the closer. I would even be willing to stretch him into a starter before meaking him a closer and make him the 5th starter and keep Aceves in the role he excelled at this past year.

We just lost Paps and you want to take Bard and Aceves out too?

Now what do you think?

Your roster looks like it might be approaching $195-$200M and Yankee territory!

At $195M (or $35M to spend), I'd thing something like this would be better:

1) Trade Iggy, Swihart, Weiland, and Anderson.
        For Wandy Rodriguez ($13M x 2)
    2) Sign: Edwin Jackson ($20M/2)
    3) Sign: Cody Ross ($9M/2)
    4) Sign Maholm ($9M/2)
    5) Sign: Joel Peralta ($4M/1)
    6) Sign: Jason Varitek ($1.5M)
    7) Sign: Wake $1.5M/1
    8) Sign:  Brandon Webb (minor league deal)

SPs Beck, Lest, Buch, Wandy,Jackson, Maholm  (Wake, Webb)
    RPs:  Bard, Aceves, Peralta, Jenks, Morales, Doubront)

C: Salty/VTek (Lava from DH)
    DH: Lava (Youk from 3B/Lowrie from IF'er)
    1B: AGon
    2B: Pedey
    3B: Youk/Lowrei/Aviles
    SS: Scutaro (Aviles)
    LF: CC
    CF: Ellsb/Kalish
    RF" Ross/Reddick

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

#1 Important team goal - PAY WAKEFIELD WHATEVER HE WANTS SO WE CAN GET WHAT WE DESERVE, WACTHING HIM BREAK THE "W"'s RECORD.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Tampa Bay reliever Joel Peralta remains under his team's control through the 2012 season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Tampa Bay reliever Joel Peralta remains under his team's control through the 2012 season.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I missed that one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Loved most of your thoughts on this with the exception of Wakefield. I respect what he's done for the Sox for his time with them but athletes have to know when it's time to retire and Wakefield is in denial. His skills are eroded. It's time to end his career gracefully. Let the Sox give him his day with a celebration at Fenway. To bring him back to catch Clemens record would be great if Tim were capable, but at this point it is counter productive to rebuilding this team.

Hetchinspete.

Sections
Shortcuts