Edwin Jackson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Edwin Jackson

Why is he not getting much interest?  He's an innings eater and has pitched well in both the AL and the NL.  Why don't the Sox offer him a deal and slide him in as our #3 starter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Edwin Jackson

Hes not that good. 3 years is a lot. Id rather trade for someone like Floyd for a year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

He is pure garbage. I rather have Dumpster then him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His WHIP has always been pretty high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I doubt his performance would taint the performance of the Sox SP staff as it currently is...can't see how he would be anything but an upgrade to what is there now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

People say he is garbage but our whole staff is below average.  He could be a #3,4,5 pitcher on our staff any day of the week.  And he does eat innings.  We are not getting an ace so we need someone who can eat up the innings and keep us in games.  I say Jackson is worth getting and will improve our rotation.

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Douby---that is a good nickname, I hope it sticks

Jackson

And we have Aceves and Morales for spot starting and long relief.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is he not getting much interest?  He's an innings eater and has pitched well in both the AL and the NL.  Why don't the Sox offer him a deal and slide him in as our #3 starter?

[/QUOTE]

You kind of have to discuss the parameters of the deal.  It's hard to respond to such an open-ended question.  To put it as simply as possibe, if he is asking for $4M, ok, if he is asking for $36M/3, no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I doubt Cherington would offer him a 3-year, $39 million deal.   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

I wonder if aceves stays on the roster. with mccarthy gone I'd rather see lohse or sanchez, but that's assuming they could get either for years/$$ that make sense and that possibility seems to be becoming remote. igreinke got 6 at 24.5 per.  sanchez looks like he's getting at least 5 or 6 and at least 18-20 per. Is three years too much for lohse? lohse would seem to make sense at two years, and maybe three, but the four he is apparently looking for is ridiculous (although in this market he might get it). i put jackson in a class with dempster and maybe someone like marcum. with the dogers, angels, and others in on these guys the sox will be lucky to come out with a proven veteran who can hold down a spot in the rotation. there's always morales or de la rossa or webster in triple A if Lackey is a bust or injuries (as they always do) occur. maybe trading for a guy like floyd for a year or two will ultimately be the way to go? they definitely need to bring in a proven start though. just can't go into the season with the staff as is. of course it's all for naught anyway unless bucholtz and lester return to pitching like they did previously, doubront proves reliable, etc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I've been a proponent of signing him for the last two years. Big kid, with a plus arm who projects to be a solid #4 or #5 on a good team...Just not sure that he's an upgrade over anyone we have?

If you listen to Farrel's interviews on the National networks, he doesn't seem to be all that concerned about the quality or the depth of our core rotation. Even he know that status quo ain't gonna cut it so the Sox will likely add another arm before the rosters set....The dark horse in the race is Morales. Who I think deserves a shot at being part of the opening day starting rotation. The kid pitched his aZZ off everytime he took the ball in that role last year and showed that he can navigate a lineup three times and pitch into the 7th.

Farrel's to-do...

Lester; refine his mechanics on his change and get him to trust his fastball again...

Buccholz; keep him healthy and make sure that his arm angle stays at the 3/4 position. with him it's all about arm angle and confidence...when both are right he's a tough at bat...

Doubront; bottom line is reduce the walks, pound the zone early in the count. Trust his stuff! I'd like to see less strikouts and more ground balls early in the count...

Lackey; see what he has and put a plan in place to get him ready by June 1st. If healthy? No reason to believe he can't regain his former glory...the guy has the guts of a burgler!

Morales; Give him a chance in the spring to show what he has and then take off the riens and let him start!

Evaluate the current crop of young guns in the system (Barnes, Renaundo) and see if they have the moixy and or the stuff to be big league pitchers....

Ben's to-do

Sign or aquire another proven starter and then backfill the organization with a couple of Millwood types to bolster the organizational depth...

Henry & Luccino's to-do

> Once and for all answer the question that is Jon Lester. Is he a leader a true #1, a guy that they see as someone that will pitch big, in big games and if not he than whom? If the answer to the question is no, then they need to get busy and go find that guy and pay the premium. If the answer is yes then 2013 is the year for Lester to affirm that belief!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Been saying the same thing for nearly 3 weeks. Not sure. The Red Sox could definately use a guy like this. If your not going to get a bonafide # 1-2 starter which don't seem to be available [Dickey but at that asking price? / Greinke not a match is this mkt] The next best thing is to get someone who will give you quality IP. This is a guy who has avg'd 197 IP for career and could see him winning 15 games w/ Red Sox and runs that they will score. 15-11 4.14 era 202 IP for say 10-11 mil works for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ben wants Dempster, and in his mind, no one else will do. I haven't heard the Sox offer any other starter a contract, even though there are much better ones out there.

Ben seems to think that we have a glut of prospects waiting in the wings, so he's not going to give anyone more than 3 years. Frankly, I think a trade to the Tigers for Porcello would be a prudent move, but I'm not sure we have anyone the Tigers would want, except maybe Ciriaco.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben wants Dempster, and in his mind, no one else will do. I haven't heard the Sox offer any other starter a contract, even though there are much better ones out there.

Ben seems to think that we have a glut of prospects waiting in the wings, so he's not going to give anyone more than 3 years. Frankly, I think a trade to the Tigers for Porcello would be a prudent move, but I'm not sure we have anyone the Tigers would want, except maybe Ciriaco.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get the Dempster love fest either.

Porcello would be a great pick-up but costly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

John Lackey will save the Red Sox rotation issues!.....really he can't get any worse,Ben sign loshe or Jackson.....Sanchez would be the best move of all actually...the Red Sox have the big payroll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Signing any FA pitcher will be an overpay at this point, but at least BC will keep all of his young studs on the farm in place as they build for the long term.  That might make the overpay worth it, IMO. 

But, if it is an overpay for a #4 or 5 starter, forget it.  Ben alreayd has De LaRosa, Aceves, Morales, and perhaps Webster for depth at #5.  That is a lot of depth and a lot of good arms.  No need to overpay just to add to that mix, IMO.  What the Sox need is a guy who improves the top end of the rotation.  Sanchez is one (Harden would have been a GREAT fit).  I am unconvinced that Lohse is one.  He has only been good in St. Louis.  Atlanta and St. Louis seem to bring out the best in pitchers, and when they go other places they lose it.  Lohse worries me that way.  Marcum and Dempster and Jackson all strike me as rotation depth for the bottom of the rotation.  Pass.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Watching this board it's funny how after each free agent pitcher is signed the poster move on to why not sign this guy. After all pitchers are taken they might be saying we should have never let Wakefield go....... just funny !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Watching this board it's funny how after each free agent pitcher is signed the poster move on to why not sign this guy. After all pitchers are taken they might be saying we should have never let Wakefield go....... just funny !!!

[/QUOTE]

no use crying over spilt milk. my protests will not make a team cancell a deal and cause the pitcher to sign here instead. so you just close that door and move on

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lets just go with the status qou maybe sign a few buy low high risk high reward guys.  If Lester improves from a down season, Doubront evolves in his second full year and they stay relatively healthy this rotation is automatically much much improved.  

We also have a lot of reinforcements on the way up from the minors in Barnes/Webster/De La Rosa/ Owens and others as well possibly who will be making there way into our rotation over the next few years.  If we save money by getting young I wouldnt mind spending some of it on a $25 million a year type pitcher....but it has to be the right guy, I'm talking like Pedro or King Felix type talent. 

Who knows the next great pitcher in Boston may be in our system.  Maybe Owens emerges, maybe Barnes hits and stretches his ceiling, or maybe one of these younger arms (like a Buttrey) emerges in a few years.

But to me........I just have this errie feeling the Edwin Jackson would be John Lackey 2.0  And in this years market, seeing how pitching is very scarce everyone is bound to get overpaid.  Greinke is going to make $15 million a year look like a steal.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

I haven't heard the Sox offer any other starter a contract,

[/QUOTE]

We supposedly offered Dan Haren a contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing any FA pitcher will be an overpay at this point, but at least BC will keep all of his young studs on the farm in place as they build for the long term.  That might make the overpay worth it, IMO. 

But, if it is an overpay for a #4 or 5 starter, forget it.  Ben alreayd has De LaRosa, Aceves, Morales, and perhaps Webster for depth at #5.  That is a lot of depth and a lot of good arms.  No need to overpay just to add to that mix, IMO.  What the Sox need is a guy who improves the top end of the rotation.  Sanchez is one (Harden would have been a GREAT fit).  I am unconvinced that Lohse is one.  He has only been good in St. Louis.  Atlanta and St. Louis seem to bring out the best in pitchers, and when they go other places they lose it.  Lohse worries me that way.  Marcum and Dempster and Jackson all strike me as rotation depth for the bottom of the rotation.  Pass.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree on rotation depth. We need starters period, whether front of rotation or back end of rotation. If RS have a chance to add a guy who is almost gauranteed to give us 200 IP [Jackson] and put him in the 4-5 spot for 1-2 yrs @ 10-11 mil per it would be a very good sign. Does anyone have that much faith that Franklin Morales or Rubby De La Rossa could give us 200 IP next yr? Dempster would also be a good sign for 2 yrs, this buys us some time w/ Barnes and Webster & others to develope. For RS to contend next year they will need Lester to return to form, Buchholz to stay healthy and pitch like he did in 2010, Lackey to give us a solid year, and Doubront to make the next step in his developement. These are alot of ifs, none of these are to difficult to see happening, but asking all them to happen is a bit much. Need a Dempster or Jackson type to No.1 pitch innings, have no problem w/ RS calling on Rubby or Franklin should one of the above not happen. But we desperately need some depth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The chances that the Tigers ask for Pedro Ciriaco in a trade for Rick Porcello are roughly equal to the chances that the Tigers offer up Verlander for Ivan DeJesus Jr.   The demand for career minor leaguer sub-.300OBP middle infielders  might not be what you are forecasting here.

Ciriaco will be on the Sox next eyar as a utility infielder.  No one on the planet views him as anything more that that except a few Sox fans in denial and possibly his mom, Mrs. Ciriaco...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They also tried to trade for Haren.

And they have been in on Lohse as well...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They also tried to trade for Haren.

And they have been in on Lohse as well...

[/QUOTE]

c'mon loshe!