Elephant in the room (Gomes)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stacy-street. Show stacy-street's posts

Elephant in the room (Gomes)

If I go on about how much I support the American military can I get paid millions for hitting .180

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Elephant in the room (Gomes)

Yes you can talk all you want about supporting the military anytime and anyplace and so can JG even if his BA is now .178.  

Gomes hopefully won't be hitting this poorly the rest of the season. His OBP is .328---Ells OBP is .337.

Stacy how's your BA?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I doubt you could hit .180.  Or .080.  Or make fair contact...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stacy-street's comment:

If I go on about how much I support the American military can I get paid millions for hitting .180

But he's a great clubhouse guy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gomes is not an elephant-sized problem at all.  He's more like the size of a pot-bellied pig.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to stacy-street's comment:

But he's a great clubhouse guy!

Wonder how many "real" cheerleaders that the Sox can hire for the bucks they are paying for Gomes to hit .180 or so.....but his OBP is over.300, with an occasional HR.  Sox should have brought back Damon if they wanted a cheerleader on the bench.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gomes is a career .242 hitter with an OPS of .784.  That's what the Sox were looking for, not just a good clubhouse guy.  They're being patient with him.  Fans are not patient.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Gomes is a career .242 hitter with an OPS of .784.  That's what the Sox were looking for, not just a good clubhouse guy.  They're being patient with him.  Fans are not patient.

It's a lack of patience combined with a lack of BB understanding, combined with a lack of mathematical knowledge.

He has a career BABIP of .293 v a current BABIP of .205.  His career HR/FB is 14.2% v a CY of 7.1%.  When those two numbers revert to historical averages, so will his OPS.

Past that, the critics are missing the key question.

Any of the critics know what the key question is?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It's a lack of patience combined with a lack of BB understanding, combined with a lack of BB knowledge.

He has a career BABIP of .293 v a current BABIP of .205.  His career HR/FB is 14.2% v a CY of 7.1%.  When those two numbers revert to historical averages, so will his OPS.

Yeah. Whats he doing on the team?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He gets on base ate decent clip, when Victoriano comes back he won't be starting......what? Did yu guys expect a .300 30 hr guy coming off the bench?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

He gets on base ate decent clip, when Victoriano comes back he won't be starting......what? Did yu guys expect a .300 30 hr guy coming off the bench?

I expected him to hit over the Mendoza line, thats for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you took away all of his walks and made them all hits then Johny Gomes would be batting .330 with a OBP no higher.  His name would be Pedro Ciriaco and everyone would be surprised he wasn't starting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's a lack of patience combined with a lack of BB understanding, combined with a lack of BB knowledge.

No, the key question, and what I thought would be the stunningly obvious question is, why is he facing righties?  His career splits are .882/.728, so it is not like like you are relying on historical trends.  His CY year split is .692/.561.

I cannot think of a single reason to have him to a RH AB away from either Nava or Carp.

That's the question that you should be asking.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Even with the depleted OF, there is no reason to start Gomes against RHP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

No, the key question, and what I thought would be the stunningly obvious question is, why is he facing righties?  His career splits are .882/.728, so it is not like like you are relying on historical trends.  His CY year split is .692/.561.

I cannot think of a single reason to have him to a RH AB away from either Nava or Carp.

That's the question that you should be asking.

Not like pumpsiegreen to cherry pick stats

Not.

Nothing wrong with being a casual fan, but I find it far more interesting to look at the numbers to see what they might predict.  His BABIP against lefties is an incredibly small .162, against a career .334, and yet he still has a .692 against them.  Even if you cut that difference in half, and get no where near his career numbers, his OPS against lefties would be .864.

OTOH, he has only a .561 OPS against righties, with a .250 BABIP, meaning that I don't see him improving much from that .561.  Nava has a career .810 v lefties and Carp has a .752.  The gulf between the two sets of numbers is to big to be able think it feasible to overcome.

That's what the question should be.  Why does Gomes have 57 PAs v righties?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Gomes was brought in to slug v LP. That hasn't happened. At this point, little choice but to hope he starts slugging against LP from a permanent bench role.

He isn't off by a fraction of what people think he is off by.  He has a .692 OPS against lefties.  I'd say anything above .800 is a success.  If the assumption is that his .162 BABIP will remain at that level, then benching would be appropriate.  But with a 17/11 K/W, there is no reason to make such an assumption.  Stanton has a .728.  Kemp has a .640 with a 60/14 K/W.  BJ Upton has a .476 with a 63/16.

I could pick off an easy list of 20 top-tier players that aren't hitting.  But that doesn't mean you bench them.

So the question would be, if I were a betting man, which I am, who would I bet on to have the best OPS against lefties the rest of the way-Gomes, Nava, or Carp?  I'd be glad to bet on Gomes.

Any takers?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Gomes was brought in to slug v LP. That hasn't happened. At this point, little choice but to hope he starts slugging against LP from a permanent bench role.

He isn't off by a fraction of what people think he is off by.  He has a .692 OPS against lefties.  I'd say anything above .800 is a success.  If the assumption is that his .162 BABIP will remain at that level, then benching would be appropriate.  But with a 17/11 K/W, there is no reason to make such an assumption.  Stanton has a .728.  Kemp has a .640 with a 60/14 K/W.  BJ Upton has a .476 with a 63/16.

I could pick off an easy list of 20 top-tier players that aren't hitting.  But that doesn't mean you bench them.

So the question would be, if I were a betting man, which I am, who would I bet on to have the best OPS against lefties the rest of the way-Gomes, Nava, or Carp?  I'd be glad to bet on Gomes.

Any takers?

Nava

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Any takers?

Nava

For a tag bet?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Any takers?

Nava

For a tag bet?

You know me better than that. I don't recall ever betting here. When I want to bet I go to Las Vegas.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Carp > Gomes

Big mistake signing this part time player for 10 mil total

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

My guess is you keep playing Gomes ...he hasn't been hurting the team with the low batting average because he walks enough to offset it. His defense has been better than anyone thought...and he has a pretty good arm too. Far as hitting against righties it's true his BA is low against them but he still hits home runs against them at a pretty good clip...career wise. I think he will get hot and help the team quite a bit before this season is over and if you stop playing him he will for sure be useless....you have to find a way to play him...and Carp to for that matter.

Sections
Shortcuts