Elephant in the room (Gomes)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Elephant in the room (Gomes)

I hated the Gomes signing and thought he was a thug for TB. Now he's our "good-in-the- clubhouse guy" and we are willing to overlook a .180 batting average, touting his ability to draw an occasional walk. While it is truly astonishing to see the spinning some folks will go to to defend his less-than-mediocre performance, Gomes is here to stay and if he ups his walks per game average, I'll consider joining his strange group of defenders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Gomes' stats last year, this year and his career.

I don't think a third of the way through the season he's not going to replicate last seasons numbers but I do think he will continue to contribute in several ways.

2012 Oak 99 279 46 73 10 0 18 47 44 104 3 1 .262 .377 .491 2013

Bos 47 109 18 22 5 0 3 11 20 28 0 0 .202 .338 .330

Career 927 2755 407 668 128 14 139 422 328 858 48 23 .242 .334 .450

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

The only elephant in the room around here is how much people like to complain about nothing over the short-term. Gomes has a career .886 OPS vs lefties and -- for whatever reason -- all of 56 plate apperances agains righties this year. My guess just to give him some looks at rhp in case of injury to his platoon-mates.

With those splits, Nava/Carp/Gomes looks pretty good -- and cheap ~$6m a year -- to me over two years in left.

-Daf.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now Gomes is looking pretty good, and a week or so ago I believed he was worthless.  He can play the outfield, including outfield assists, and he can hit lefties better than Nava.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even when Gomes was below the Mendoza line his OBP was high, and his BABIP was low.  

I wasn't in love with the Gomes signing myself, and I cringe at the idea of him starting out there.

But I had no problem and nor do I know, of him being an impactful bench/platoon player

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now Gomes is looking pretty good, and a week or so ago I believed he was worthless.  He can play the outfield, including outfield assists, and he can hit lefties better than Nava.  

I was surprised.  He's a better fielder than I expected and not nearly as slow as he looks.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The elephant is now 6 for his last 10.

His OBP is now at .340.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Once again it's a good thing team management has more patience than the average fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Once again it's a good thing team management has more patience than the average fan.

The people whining about Gomes had little shot of being right.  None of the peripheral statistics supported their arguments.  It's why posters should become a little more familiar with things like BABIP before they criticize.

However, the point that the whiners all missed on is still legit.  I believe his 4-hit game came against lefties, and his 2 hits last night were against lefties.  And then he went 0-2 v Williams.  I know you can't always remove someone mid-game, but this looks like a straight platoon as much as possible.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Gomes career shows he is strictly a platoon hitter and should be used mainly against LHP. Right now, he is not even performing up to his career averages against lefties. I hope he will come around and he may by the end of the season. Surprisingly, he has made a few outstanding plays in the field.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The people whining about Gomes had little shot of being right.  None of the peripheral statistics supported their arguments.  It's why posters should become a little more familiar with things like BABIP before they criticize.

However, the point that the whiners all missed on is still legit.  I believe his 4-hit game came against lefties, and his 2 hits last night were against lefties.  And then he went 0-2 v Williams.  I know you can't always remove someone mid-game, but this looks like a straight platoon as much as possible.

I'm sure that's what we got him for: a platoon. They probably envisioned a Nava/Gomes LF platoon.

His spli differentials have been off the charts:

vs LHPs  RHPs  Diff

'13 .802  .520   282

'12 .974  .715   259

'11 .863  .654   209

'10 .856  .709   145

'09 .914  .859     55

As you can see, the differential is growing with each passing year to a now astounding .282!

He's over .800 this year vs LHPs on a team that struggles vs lefties. He is our 2nd best hitter vs lefties.

Here are the Sox numbers vs LHPs (40+ PAs):

Pedey  1.064

Gomes   .802

Papi       .762

Middy    .761

Ross      .747

Nava     .731

Naps     .700

Ells       .669

Drew     .640 (Iggy is 1.174 in 30 PAs vs LHPs)

Vict       .628

Salty     .502

(Carp is at .879 in just 12 PAs.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If most here were a GM====== Pedroia would still be in AAA because of his 140 ave the first 7 weeks of his career.

Many here worry about only yesterday's game with the "What have you done today" mind set.

Few here look long term and at a players career to form an opinion....mind you I said few do.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year.