Ells & Peedy: Where's the power?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Ells & Peedy: Where's the power?

Perhaps it's not fair to link Ells with Peedy since he does have the one home run, but if you told me that's all there'd be between them at this point I would have thought you crazy.

That Ross in six games could match their combined HR output in 32 is kind of mind bending.

I'm very glad that we can find a way to win without scoring much but I'm afraid that won't last much longer.

I've been critical of Ortiz getting paid for being lame, but if our traditional long ball guys can't come around I don't know if we can get by without him.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Ells & Peedy: Where's the power?

In response to lasitter's comment:

Perhaps it's not fair to link Ells with Peedy since he does have the one home run, but if you told me that's all there'd be between them at this point I would have thought you crazy.

That Ross in six games could match their combined HR output in 32 is kind of mind bending.

I'm very glad that we can find a way to win without scoring much but I'm afraid that won't last much longer.

I've been critical of Ortiz getting paid for being lame, but if our traditional long ball guys can't come around I don't know if we can get by without him.

Boston in 4th in the AL in scoring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the sox are 12-4, Ells and Pedroia are doing their part. i don't see what the problem is...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I'd be more concern about ells lack of walks

than either ones lack of  power

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

I'd be more concern about ells lack of walks

than either ones lack of  power

Yeah, that's kind of the direction I'd have taken.  Ellsbury and Pedroia hit one HR every ten games or so.  So they are roughly 2 entire HRs behind their norm, collectively.

I'd much rather have have Ells address the lack of walks than to swing for the fences.

But like Nerd said, Lassiter seems to find an awful lot of things wrong with the RS.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to NerdatMIT's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

the sox are 12-4, Ells and Pedroia are doing their part. i don't see what the problem is...

Yes, one would assume that a rs fan like lassiter would be happy with a 12-4 record but then lassiter might not be a rs fan. It is possible.

why the use of multiple monikers pike??

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

DING DING DING DING .... WE HAS OURSELVES A WINNEE, FOLKS!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It seems to me that they are both being pitched away a lot. Neither has much opposite field power. Sometimes you just have to take what is there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It seems to me that they are both being away a lot. Neither has much opposite field power. Sometimes you just have to take what is there. 

Pedey always goes the other way, and carries a .412 OBP so far.  Lassiter has to be an idiot to complain about that.

Ellsbury has a HR, which is just about exactly where he should be.  I'd much rather he be slapping the ball around and getting on base at a clip closer to Pedey's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'm absolutely giddy about our record. Never would have guessed it at the end of either of the last two seasons.

We're well back of the Yankees in every scoring / batting stat, and yet we have had nothing like the injuries they have faced this season.

http://is.gd/zuMxii

In the majors we're 8th on base, 10th in runs scored, 12th in slugging and 13th in batting average. I think we need more offense if we want to keep this streak alive.

We're second only behind Atlanta in earned runs allowed, which is pretty amazing considering what we might have projected with our starting rotation. With Lackey injured / Ace spot starting, I would never have guessed that Dempster, Dubront and the bottom of the rotation could possibly have been so productive.

I'm really happy that we're winning, but I also think we could use more offense. Looking at two guys that combined for 53 HR in 2011, wouldn't it be nice if we could get at least 40 from between the two of them?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It seems to me that they are both being away a lot. Neither has much opposite field power. Sometimes you just have to take what is there. 

Pedey always goes the other way, and carries a .412 OBP so far.  Lassiter has to be an idiot to complain about that.

Ellsbury has a HR, which is just about exactly where he should be.  I'd much rather he be slapping the ball around and getting on base at a clip closer to Pedey's.

Pitchers really don't want to walk Ellsbury leading off.  In some situations , I think they have been kind of pitching around Pedroia , preferring to go after Napoli. That might account for some of it. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Joebreidey: Don't know who this "lassiter" is that you're complaining about.

Gomes and Ross aren't going to do it for us this year, and I sure hope we didn't spend 9.5m on Drew's bat.

Nava is on fire, and Napoli has outperformed expectations.

Salty sends it a long way if he makes contact but whiffs a lot. That's not going to change.

Victorino is supplying everything I expected of him. He can't slug but thank god we have someone that has excellent defensive range, has speed / is a threat to steal, and can bunt to advance runners.

Iggy was hitting very well so we sent him down, and that pretty much leaves Big Papi, Ells and Peedy.

"Hits with Power" is Papi's job title, so I don't apologize for wanting a little more power from the other two.

No one picked us first in the AL East, and if we don't find a bit more hitting / power, this can't last.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Looking at two guys that combined for 53 HR in 2011, wouldn't it be nice if we could get at least 40 from between the two of them?

I'd like 20 SBs from Papi, but it's unlikely to happen.  Pedey has one season with more than 17 HRs.  Ells has one season with more than 9 HRs.  You shouldn't expect 20 HRs from guys that simply don't hit 20 HRs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

that pretty much leaves Big Papi, Ells and Peedy.

"Hits with Power" is Papi's job title, so I don't apologize for wanting a little more power from the other two.

You can want anything you want, but Las Vegas is built on people expecting things that are illogical.  And your analysis left out WMB.  Maybe what you should do is to go on FG to see their projections.  They project Ellsbury for 13 and Pedey for 14.  Maybe they 'want' 40, but they are projecting a total of 27.

No one picked us first in the AL East, and if we don't find a bit more hitting / power, this can't last.

FWIW, we're 3rd in scoring, more or less where we are supposed to be.  The league leader last year averaged 4.99 rpg.  We are averaging 5.00 this year.  If we average 5.00 for the year, we'll be doing fine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

With all the talk of Ells getting mega $$ at the end of the season, I was basing his performance more on 2011 than other injury shortened seasons.

If we want to just throw that season out as an abberation, and say that he is more like the 2008, 2009 Ellsbury, and only good for 10 HR, then sure, hoping for anything like 40 HR between the two would be unrealistic.

But take away that power and he's not the MVP-ish player that commands the kind of money that he and Boras are thinking about.

I still think we need to find some more offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I still think we need to find some more offense.

Nope.  I think 5 rpg should be enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Ignorance may be bliss, but you shouldn't go so public with it.

Ellsbury leads the team in total bases.

Sections
Shortcuts