Ells choking on home-town cooking ;(

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ells choking on home-town cooking ;(

Do we really even want a 'home-town' discount?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Ells choking on home-town cooking ;(

Splits AVG   G  AB  R  H   2B 3B HR RBI SB CS TBB   K GDP  OBP SLG

Home .207  22 92  11 19    4   3    0   4     5      1     8    11   1    .270  .315

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

And Also.....I'm sure other teams are ready to pounce on him.....I say let him walk for the good of the home town.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If we can get anyone of value we ought to trade Ellsbury ASAP, certainly by the deadline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

God no! .259, 1 Home run! No!!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

His timing is clearly off.  Nothing harder, Ted Williams says, than hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely.  I honestly don't expect him to come anywhere near 2011 numbers, but right now he looks pressed to get back to his 2009 level.  It's early, however.  Time to work the kinks out. 

The funny thing is Ellsbury had a decent April--leading the team in hits and runs scored and second in total bases even though his OBP and OPS weren't that great.  Ortiz also had a great April and is stinking it up in May.  Go figure.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

NO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

BTW......

Saying this about Ells pains me!  I hate ending up, seemingly, on the same side of the fence as Stiffy!!!!

I simply wish Ells had embraced Boston Red Sox fans as we have EMBRACED HIM?   Perhaps I'm over-reading him, but he seems very distant?  I'm getting the feeling he's moved on, after never really making Boston a home. 

I've come to the conclusion that Ells wants to be back on the west coast, so I think we need to deal him.  Wait for the best deal possible, but don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

As for ending up on 'Stiffy's side?'  Hardly!  Big difference!!!  Most of us have always ROOTED FOR Ells, and still will.  WHY?   Because he plays for OUR beloved Red Sox!  We're not rooting for Ells to be the All-Star he is clearly capable of being for his own sake, but for the sake of the Red Sox.

Well....  We're not getting any home-town discount!  The guy is moving on & I'm definitely OK with that!!  Like A-Gon, the guy simply doesn't click with Boston.  Se la vie!  Adios!  The Sox should deal him when presented a deal that will help the team.  Period.  End of story.

p.s....   It's still early, and he's capable of going on a tear.  I suggest he does so REAL SOON if he would like to have a prayer at that semi-big contract.  Right now, most teams would not give him much over 10 - 12 Million / 5 years???  Pull your head out Ells!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

How many of you in 2011 were chirping about is power going forward? How many lambasted the few of us as haters when we tried to bring you back down to reality? 15 homers, 20 on a good year max.

Any way you slice it, 2011 made the guy look like a bone fide All-Star.  Sure, he threw like a girl, but we were willing to see his whole game.  No way to predict that the injuries & time off would result in such a pathetic 'come-back.'

I don't think the kid is done by any means.  You don't put together that kind of season as a fluke.  He'll be a damn 'good' player for somebody, & put up some excellent seasons.  We shall see???  Too good an athlete, with incredible bat speed!  He will be back!!!  Make sure you get back to me on that in 5 years Burrito.  I simply wouldn't even give him 12 M / 5 yrs.  Not because I don't think he'd earn that, but because he doesn't really want to stay in Boston!

He will be back.  Perhaps not a perrenial All-Star, but damn close!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Jacoby never taking a home town discount - ever. 

So the only question is: is he worth full price from Boras. 

Answer is clearly no. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

BTW......

Saying this about Ells pains me!  I hate ending up, seemingly, on the same side of the fence as Stiffy!!!!

I simply wish Ells had embraced Boston Red Sox fans as we have EMBRACED HIM?   Perhaps I'm over-reading him, but he seems very distant?  I'm getting the feeling he's moved on, after never really making Boston a home. 

I've come to the conclusion that Ells wants to be back on the west coast, so I think we need to deal him.  Wait for the best deal possible, but don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

As for ending up on 'Stiffy's side?'  Hardly!  Big difference!!!  Most of us have always ROOTED FOR Ells, and still will.  WHY?   Because he plays for OUR beloved Red Sox!  We're not rooting for Ells to be the All-Star he is clearly capable of being for his own sake, but for the sake of the Red Sox.

Well....  We're not getting any home-town discount!  The guy is moving on & I'm definitely OK with that!!  Like A-Gon, the guy simply doesn't click with Boston.  Se la vie!  Adios!  The Sox should deal him when presented a deal that will help the team.  Period.  End of story.

p.s....   It's still early, and he's capable of going on a tear.  I suggest he does so REAL SOON if he would like to have a prayer at that semi-big contract.  Right now, most teams would not give him much over 10 - 12 Million / 5 years???  Pull your head out Ells!

Nice post...I agree, mostly.   What I do think is that his 'on a tear days' are over.  Pitchers are a tight fraternity and think they've found weaknsses and exploit them.  And since his injuries, he's definitely lost a step or two.  Or, he's psychologically encumbered from his injuries.

I strongly believe that his emotions(as an Oegonian) are on the west coast.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Check out little billy-69 change his tune on boy meets boy ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

His love letters to Stiffy are adorable ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Unrequited love?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

How many of you in 2011 were chirping about his power going forward? How many lambasted the few of us as haters when we tried to bring you back down to reality? 15 homers, 20 on a good year max.

Unfortunately he isn't even playing up to what I expected.... hardly the trade asset I was hoping for.

I though it was an outlier. Not who he really was.

I still think he is can can be a 280-300 hitter with an OBP around 360-70 with 40SB and 10-15HR<--(on a good year) He should be around 800OPS. Hes better than what hes doing now, but not nearly as good as he was in 2011. He got a heavy dose of FB inside that he was able to turn on. Its like hes having to adjust again.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

His career OBP is what he is, .347. That's not bad, but it's not worth unloading a bunch of money for. Stolen bases are overrated, in the aggregate. OBP is not overrated, in the aggregate.

His career OPS is under .800.

It was a fact that he was seeing a steady diet of fat meatballs (fastballs) in front of 2011 Pedroia, AGon and Ortiz. He was the one guy that pitchers wanted to keep off base in front of the better hitters. That's no longer the case with Shane and Pedroia in the 3 spot and Ortiz 2013.

Other than on OPS, I agree with South, except to add that Ellsbury's best years are in the past because his starter CF profile game totally relies on speed. He's closing in on the 30, and he is going to decline because his speed will be declining during the FA contract.

Each team is different, but his value is no more than 3 years and base 12, for CF. The Red Sox have a better value in Bradley at a cost of nearly zero for those 3 years.

Ellsbury should be on the market, and if he moves close or beyond his career median averages, he should be traded because it's better value to go with Bradley and get a better value than a draft compensation with zero minor league time because it's almost certain that the Red Sox could get a better rated potential prospect with at least one year in the minors if they move Ellsbury early this summer.

I agree. I think the OBP will rise some along with the BA, but hes not a slugger. If he does what I think he will, he will be more in line with a Michael Bourne type deal than a BJ Upton type. 12-14M is my guess and depending on the team he could get between 4-6 years. Id go no more than 4/48 at the very most, but I think Bradley will give us the same, if not better BA and OBP than Ells at a fraction of the cost in CF.

My choice: Give Ells a QO (or if a trade deadline deal is made for good value) and Bradley should be our FT CF 2014.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...next page....

Sections
Shortcuts