Ells: Deal, qualifying offer, or ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ells: Deal, qualifying offer, or ...

The Red Sox GM should move Ellsbury to the first NL GM who offers a top 100 prospect who has good numbers and is already gone through experience in the minors. 

Not gonna happen.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Unless the suffers from a serious injury, almost no chance the Yankees don't pick-up Granderson's one year option for his services at age 33.

agreed.  granderson has been a beast in pinstripes.  if he comes back and starts launching missiles again, ca$hman will be talking CE.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox GM should move Ellsbury to the first NL GM who offers a top 100 prospect who has good numbers and is already gone through experience in the minors.

Not gonna happen.

The only reason it won't happen is because Red Sox middle management refuses to communicate with NL GM's that Ellsbury is on the market to the highest bidder.

Then you must think Ellsbury is better than I do.

I bet we barely got a top 100 offer when the draft pick was attached this past winter.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Delusional. Ellsbury is overrated, but his career averages and age 29-30 and speed and base stealing has a higher NL team market than less than the top of the draft compensation. You can't be that out of touch?

The Indians got a top 100 player for Choo and his attached draft pick. I'm not sure they'd get that without the draft pick and if Choo had been hurt in 2 of the previous 3 years.

I have it noted you think Ellsbury is great.

I also have it noted you think he stinks and SBs are over-rated.

Looks like you should finally get one right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only reason it won't happen is because Red Sox middle management refuses to communicate with NL GM's that Ellsbury is on the market to the highest bidder.

As you used to bash other posters for doing this, let's have some specific teams and return compensation on the record here.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Unless the suffers from a serious injury, almost no chance the Yankees don't pick-up Granderson's one year option for his services at age 33.

agreed.  granderson has been a beast in pinstripes.  if he comes back and starts launching missiles again, ca$hman will be talking CE.

I'd take any bet that the Yankees don't pick up his option for '14.  Let me know if you are interested...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I'd take any bet that the Yankees don't pick up his option for '14.  Let me know if you are interested...

if i get paid if they pick up option or offer him a CE then it is a bet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

if i get paid if they pick up option or offer him a CE then it is a bet.

Absolutely...You win if they invite to camp on a non-guaranteed deal...Anything where he is back in pinstripes next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On March 19, Globe columnist Nick Cafardo assured us that the Red Sox would tender Jacoby Ellsbury a qualifying offer following the 2013 season:

What numbers will Jacoby Ellsbury need to post to warrant a qualifying offer after the season (assuming Ellsbury is not traded during the season)? Ellsbury's 2011 numbers would certainly trigger a qualifying offer, but would his 2008 or 2009 numbers be enough to generate a qualifying offer to a free agent on the downhill side of his 30th birthday?
    Kelly, Hillsboro, Ore.

Oh, he’ll get a qualifying offer. If another team signs him they would get a draft pick. They would be willing to pay $13.5 or whatever the number will be at that point if he should not get any offers and have to return to the Red Sox. They would take that risk.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/03/ask_nick_trade_1.html#sthash.UitAgsM6.dpuf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am thinking his performance this season is going to make him look less attractive to other teams..or as possible trade bait before the deadline.

I doubt we see him back next year anyhow..his agent is going to want a big contract..and I am hoping the Sox have learned their lesson on those kinds of big deals.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As you used to bash other posters for doing this, let's have some specific teams and return compensation on the record here.

"A top 100 currently ranked prospect with proven minor league performance" is specific for all but you.

And you clown.

See the Upton trade talks where you asked for specific names of prospects offered or a "pool of prospects" to chose from.

Name the team that would give us Ellsbury for a top 100 prospect. let's start with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On Choo, his value is lower because he's not a true CF'er and doesn't have the speed.

He doesn't get hurt or have off seasons either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

My initial gut feeling was that Jacoby Ellsbury could still net a low-level Top 100 prospect during the season, but a review of Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list found few (if any) prospects that a contending team would surrender for Ellsbury:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/02/2013-top-100-prospects-list/

I assume that only a contending team would be interested in an Ellsbury rental of less than four months. Any proposals?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"A top 100 currently ranked prospect with proven minor league performance" is specific for all but you.

Mets, Nationals, Cubs, DBacks, Giants will provide a market.

From the AL, the Rangers

The winning bidder for Ellsbury will have a current need for him for the next 3 or 4 months, as well as have palsn to budget for bidding a multi-year contract that will be market competitive.

On Choo, his value is lower because he's not a true CF'er and doesn't have the speed.

Stolen bases are overated in the AL and have more value in the NL.

I"ve noted you continue to captiously troll with a domineering paternalistic attitude.  

Id say on that list that the Giants, Rangers and Nationals are realistic because of their PO potential. Maybe the Dbacks, but IMO its a longshot. the Cubs and Mets, IMO, probably wont do it for the simple fact that they arent going to give up a prospect for someone when they arent even a playoff team.

The other 4 should contend and could possibly have a need for Ellsbury.Lets look at their present OF

Washington has Span and Harper, with Bernadina and Moore splitting time with Werth hurt. If Werth is Ok come the deadline (scheduled to return within a couple weeks), theyre all set.

The Rangers have Martin, Cruz, and Baker with Murphy and Gentry splitting time. They're pretty much set too unless an injury occurs.

The Giant have Pagan, Blanco, Pence, and Torres with Belt and Pill that can fill in at 1b or OF if need be. Another team that would have to have an injury to have a need for Ells.

The DBacks have Parra, Kubel, Pollock and Ross with Eaton already playing a rehab assignment and should return soon. Prado is also a guy who can fill in out there if need be.

Its early yet and injuries can happen, but if these teams are injury free at the deadline I don't see a reason to part with a top 100 prospect for Ells. Lets just hope Ells can improve and help the Sox, then we offer him a QO and receive a comp pick next year. If one of these teams should have a need for an OF'er arise, then we should at least discuss it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously , there are 30 GMs. It is just too difficult to predict what one of them might do.  As for Ellsbury , it seems to me that his timing is way off. He is late on fastballs and too far out in front of breaking balls. Hard to know why , but I think the bat speed is down.  If you cannot consistently square up the ball , you will not be a good hitter. Will he be able to turn it around ? Who knows. I think he will certainly improve on his current performance, but will never again come close to his 2011 numbers. He still has the ability to steal a base , take the extra base and cover ground in the outfield. So if he improves his hitting even somewhat, he will have some trade value. How much we would get in return is anybody's guess. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

He's not having a great year so far and also doesn't represent a great clubhouse dynamic. So I'm wondering:

What kind of numbers does he have to produce to justify a qualifying offer from the Sox?

What are the odds he / Boras would decline a qualifying offer and sign elsewhere?

Who could we reasonably expect to get in a deal that involved Ells?

It's a one game sample with Ells getting the day off, but I thought Victorino covered a lot of territory in center, and of course there are some that peg JBJ as a natural for that position.

What kind of numbers would Ells have to turn in to justify a qualifying offer? Or various multi-year deals?

I wasn't sure if Ells would ever duplicate 2011 but never imagined him being this bad offensively.  I have also never seen him develop the skills necessary to lead off like laying down bunts and using the entire field a bit more over the years. 

I'm also not sure why Ells thinks faking a bunt is scaring anyone.  If anything after doing it so long he could probably easiliy get a few hits if he tried.

Now that would surprise an opposing pitcher, teammates and our fans.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Nationals will have interest, where Span is a 2nd rate CF profile.

Denard Span, who is five months younger than Ellsbury, has posted a higher WAR* than Jacoby Ellsbury in three of the past four seasons and has the edge again this year while earning $4.75 million to Ellsbury's $9 million.

Only Ellsbury's spectacular 9.1 WAR in 2011 separates Ellsbury's career WAR of 18.5 in 625 games from Span's career WAR of 15.9 in 631 games.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4727&position=OF http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8347&position=OF 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts