Ells: Deal, qualifying offer, or ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Ells: Deal, qualifying offer, or ...

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

My point is simply this:  Whatever ZIPS may project for Eaton , or any other rookie , is totally irrelevant.  I would not put any faith in it whatsoever.  Also , I would much prefer that we go with Bradley. Hill can always be counted on to disparage our players and prospects.

Except when I'm casting a positive light on David Ross, Felix Doubront, John Lackey, Ryan Dempster, Garin Cecchini, Manuel Margot and others.

Objectivity is a heavy cross to bear.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

My point is simply this:  Whatever ZIPS may project for Eaton , or any other rookie , is totally irrelevant.  I would not put any faith in it whatsoever.  Also , I would much prefer that we go with Bradley. Hill can always be counted on to disparage our players and prospects.

Except when I'm casting a positive light on David Ross, Felix Doubront, John Lackey, Ryan Dempster, Garin Cecchini, Manuel Margot and others.

Objectivity is a heavy cross to bear.

Hill, many of us respect your POV. At least you are very consistent with your criteria, unlike many others here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Buy low, sell high... 

Extend Ellsbury now while he is in a slump, it won't last. Say what you want about him but he leads our team in at bats, third in major leagues in steals and gets on base which is the equivalent of a basketball player who isn't shooting well but still provides defense, rebounding and sets picks.

Ells will pull out of this slump and eventually will get his batting average up to 300, we'll be wishing we signed him when we could have had him much cheaper...

I don't post here often, but like to check in now and again, has anyone changed their opinion since this thread was started?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to lasitter's comment:

He's not having a great year so far and also doesn't represent a great clubhouse dynamic. So I'm wondering:

What kind of numbers does he have to produce to justify a qualifying offer from the Sox?

What are the odds he / Boras would decline a qualifying offer and sign elsewhere?

Who could we reasonably expect to get in a deal that involved Ells?

It's a one game sample with Ells getting the day off, but I thought Victorino covered a lot of territory in center, and of course there are some that peg JBJ as a natural for that position.

What kind of numbers would Ells have to turn in to justify a qualifying offer? Or various multi-year deals?

My guess is that he gets better as the season goes on and they make the offer, clearly hoping he gets a deal somewhere else, which he likely will.  The Yankees seem to be a good fit, among others, and they should have the money, while still being able to avoid going over the cap.

It's no secret that the Sox aggressively tried to move him this winter, but they weren't going to give him away.  There are "rumors" that too many people in the Sox organization think he's too soft, and they have no intention of committing long term dollars to him, but I would be shocked if they didn't make him the qualifying offer.  They wouldn't be too upset to have him on a one year deal for 2014. 

Please provide sources for everything you just wrote

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Insert the sound of crickets here...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I haven't looked closely enough at what teams need  CF or SS help but I think first moving Ells to a lower position in the lineup might get him thinking less at the plate. Grounding out weakly 4 X last night to 2 B should be enough to wake JF from a sound sleep. My observation is Ells is not looking for pitches he can hit to the SS-3 B hole--he is pull happy( thinking HR/Contract). To me the value of a lead-off guy is getting on base--Ells is pressing drop him in the order to see if he starts getting on base.

I liked the move of Drew up in the order--he is more of a threat especially against RH pitching and he hung in pretty well with Thornton. He made all the plays last night--he's not spectacular--he's dependable--that's what I want to see in the field. At the plate I like to see contact and disipline with an occasional glimpse of power.  Find a way to work the count and get on base via a walk and a hit or two hits or two walks--get on base two times every game and you prove your offensive value.

There have been some good solid recommendations re. this topic.

I like to move Drew up in the order.? My my my .. a couple weeks ago 99% of posters wanted to move Drew to another team. Wiat a couple of weeks maybe you just might want to move him down or out......This is so funny !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I mean nobody...?

Not one person here wants to recant that my suggestion of signing Ells when his stock was low was a bad idea?

That's why I never post here, too many "experts" not enough culpability...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells would not have extended when his "stock was low". He has BorA$$ for an agent.

Besides, I cannot "recant" anything you said, only you can do that.

Sox4ever

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ells would not have extended when his "stock was low". He has BorA$$ for an agent.

Besides, I cannot "recant" anything you said, only you can do that.

Sox4ever

If I suggest resigning Ells when his stock his low and somebody else says that's a bad idea they can surely recant.  It was a proper use of the word.  If the Red Sox offer a contract, Jacoby can surely agree or disagree, regardless who his agent is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Would have been nice, thats for sure.Looks like the Sox Management are putting all their marbles on Bradley, hope their right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Give all 4 QO's we have no replacement for any of them accept the one position we know the player will decline.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I mean nobody...?

Not one person here wants to recant that my suggestion of signing Ells when his stock was low was a bad idea?

Its not that it was a bad idea.  It is that it was never going to happen.

Ellsbury is represented by Scott Boras, who never advises clients to take extensions prior to free agency.  And to date, I belive he has had only two clients who have taken them - Carlos Gonzalez, who received the largest extension ever for a player with 2 year of service time, and Jered Weaver, who forced Boras to negotiate the extension.

Does this mean Ellsbury would not have taken less money to sign eariler?  Yes, it does.   Ellsbury hired Boras because he is failiar with Boras' tactics, and new exactly what he wanted.   Heck, most of US are familiar with Scott Boras, so any player who hires him is making an obvious statement...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I mean nobody...?

Why would Jacoby Ellsbury want to sign an extension in May when his stock was low? You wanted the Sox to buy low on Ellsbury, but on the flip side Scott Boras and Ellsbury would not want to sell low. The experts know that.

I suspect an extension was not a realistic possibility in the spring because Ellsbury and Boras wanted to gamble that Ellsbury's stock would rise as the season progressed. In hindsight, that appears to have been a good gamble.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

The way he's bounced back, it's obvious that we can make a QO and get compensation. The only other part of the game for me is the extent to which we make sure other teams pay top dollar for him ...