Ells: It's time to start making him serious offers.... BUY LOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Ells: It's time to start making him serious offers.... BUY LOW

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

$8 million per for 2 years....  you won't want him around longer than that.

When I read this The Movie Top Gun came to mind.  The scene where Ice Man tells Goose and Maverick that the plaque for the alternates is in the men's room.  Goose puts the palm of his hand on his forehead and starts to laugh and says that kills me.

Ells deserves more than anyone on the current red sox roster.  Look for 20 million a year for at least 4 years.

Deserves???    Way past pushing it......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

15M for 5 yrs is the best he will get. No team except the LAD or the Mets would be dumb enough to give him a Crawford-type deal.  I'd put a provision in there about PAs met to keep incentives; this way the Sox could be safe if he misses half a season down the line. They need to examine carefully sweat specific I jury is the most probable, based on his history and pout it in there like they did with JD Drew, Lackey and Napoli.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

$8 million per for 2 years....  you won't want him around longer than that.

When I read this The Movie Top Gun came to mind.  The scene where Ice Man tells Goose and Maverick that the plaque for the alternates is in the men's room.  Goose puts the palm of his hand on his forehead and starts to laugh and says that kills me.

Ells deserves more than anyone on the current red sox roster.  Look for 20 million a year for at least 4 years.

Deserves???    Way past pushing it......

Well, everyone has a different opinion.  I like the way he is playing this year and looking at who he has for an agent, I will take my chances on him getting a contract close to it.  I am sure Ortiz will be pushing the sox to keep this kid.

20M/yr 4 yr. ?   deserves it more than anybody on the team????

Do I want him on the team?  YES!

Build my team around him as the highest paid player by far?  20+M/yr 4 yr???  NO!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Pretty comperable numbers, save the SB's.

Given the past two years, all the injuries, all the time off, and a STEEP drop off this year, he does not warrent 20+M/yr 4-5 years

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

HE WON'T get it unless he's RED HOT second half......

Shane Victorino# 46 171 28 50 6 1 3 16 14 21 8 .292 .351 .392 26 Jacoby Ellsbury*           69 297 44 84 15 7 1 25 29 42 31 .283 .351 .391 42

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Lot of stock put on JBJ here. Does everybody know for sure he'll be as dynamic as all here predict. I'm one of the lucky ones, who got to see both play in the Minors.
    Ellsbury was better. You know what you got with Ellsbury, pay the man. Work it out, or it will be another Paplebon again. They should have paid him too.
    Yankees have Prospects who have proven themselves, they pay them, keep them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Lot of stock put on JBJ here. Does everybody know for sure he'll be as dynamic as all here predict. I'm one of the lucky ones, who got to see both play in the Minors.
    Ellsbury was better. You know what you got with Ellsbury, pay the man. Work it out, or it will be another Paplebon again. They should have paid him too.
    Yankees have Prospects who have proven themselves, they pay them, keep them.

Yr 1 JBJ will need time to get acclimatd.

Next years batting order:   ShaVic beomes leadoff--move Ped to #2, Ortiz #3, Nap -4, Salty-5

Have JBJ batting 9.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The question is how will you feel if he signs with the Yankees for 5@ $17.5---a couple more than BJ    ????? and probably hits 20 + in the short RF area and steals 60 bags??? He will not be back Borass will find him a good contract in NY. He will probably get the Mets and Yankees bidding the contract up. We can only hope ge hgoes to a team where we get a decent  pick.

Ells is good no doubt but we have some talent we need to bring to Fenway. JBJ, Brentz, Hassan,and perhaps Xman for outfielders.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think they should go too high or too long, but he is a player you would like to hold onto. Bradley may or may not develop into as good a player as Ellsbury. We can't know the answer to that right now. And , there is no good reason why we could not use Bradley and Ellsbury in the same outfield. We don't have much else in outfield prospects in the high minors. Brentz and Hassan have not done anything to make you think they will ever be more than marginal major league players. Bogaerts should be the future third baseman. There is not much else. DeLaCruz is probably at least two or three years away. So , I would make an honest effort to re- sign Ellsbury, but would not get into a bidding war. If he goes elsewhere, at least we get the draft pick.

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He's gone.  This is why you have a minor league system.  Free Agency is for when you have an empty slot and no one in sight to replace that individual.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

As I've stated from the beginning of this OP......   Ells is worth signing LOW to Fair market value.

Low = $ 13M/yr 3 year deal

FMV = $15/M / yr. 4 yrs

A good bet by a gm = $15 yrs plus incentives for 5 years = $75M plus over a 5 year deal

$20M / yr 5 plus years is the type of deal reserved for SUPERSTARS!  & Ells is clearly NOT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!  His history would give any gm pause for a long term deal.  HE WILL NOT BE signed for longer than 5 - 6 years PERIOD!  HE WILL NOT BE give $17M/yr. multi-year contract by ANYBODY including NYY!  I think the Yankees have learned their lesson with A-Rod, Tex, & even Jeter.

I like Ells at $15M / 4 - 5 years period!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Pretty comperable numbers, save the SB's.

Given the past two years, all the injuries, all the time off, and a STEEP drop off this year, he does not warrent 20+M/yr 4-5 years

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

HE WON'T get it unless he's RED HOT second half......

Shane Victorino# 46 171 28 50 6 1 3 16 14 21 8 .292 .351 .392 26 Jacoby Ellsbury*           69 297 44 84 15 7 1 25 29 42 31 .283 .351 .391 42

No 20 mil for 4 or 5 is too much I agree.    15 to 17 for 4 or 5 more likely. Just saying he got more upside then Vic.and Vic got 13

Vic was also a slight overpay to take 1 less year. He should have got about 10-11M

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury is a game changer when hes on his game. hes a 300 hitter who can take pitchers off their game when hes on the bases. Hes a solid defender too.

If he continues what hes doing, which is exactly the kind of player I think he is and will be into his mid 30's, Id pay 16M for 5 yrs with an option based on games played the last 2 years. I think hes a much better all around player than BJ Upton.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Here's why the Sox haven't offered him $15 x 5. 

It's because Scott Boras is his agent and Boras is going to pull the strings.  If the Sox offer 15 x 5 that's where the bidding STARTS ... and it won't go lower. OTHO, if the Sox offer him a "negotiating offer" of, say 13 x 3 Boras will play the 'disrespect' card and the Sox will NEVER land him.

I really want this guy.  He makes the offense go.  When he gets on base things change for the better.  If he gets signed to a five year contract he'll "only" be 34 during his last year and should salaries increase the way they have been increasing he'll be a bargain. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Here's why the Sox haven't offered him $15 x 5. 

It's because Scott Boras is his agent and Boras is going to pull the strings.  If the Sox offer 15 x 5 that's where the bidding STARTS ... and it won't go lower. OTHO, if the Sox offer him a "negotiating offer" of, say 13 x 3 Boras will play the 'disrespect' card and the Sox will NEVER land him.

I really want this guy.  He makes the offense go.  When he gets on base things change for the better.  If he gets signed to a five year contract he'll "only" be 34 during his last year and should salaries increase the way they have been increasing he'll be a bargain. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

All good points! 

But you have to start somewhere.  I don't think the Sox should start with the minimum of $13M/3yr

Start at 14M/5yr.  a very respectable contract.

Be willing to go as high as 15.5M/5yr

If you're outbidded at that point, at least you've tried.  Given him respect.  No higher!

Fact!  Ells has not earned the long term respect of a SUPERSTAR.  One year of superstar play won't cut it.  Nowhere near $20M/5-7 yr deal reserved for a superstar.  Not sure a superstar deserves this type of high risk contract anymore.  We've seen too many superstars fall during these long term deals.

Fact.  Ells has not played like a superstar but for the 2011 season.  That's it.  The rest is extrapolation....... & no team is going to extrapolate & project that he will be a superstar for the next 5 - 7 years.  The Sox should make a respectful run at him!

Sections
Shortcuts