Ells should swing at the first pitch tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Ells should swing at the first pitch tonight

If ever there was a time for Ells to swing at the first pitch he sees, it is tonight.  Assuming it is a fastball down the middle of the plate from McAllister, he should deposit it in in the bullpen.  I'm sure Tito will have told his pitchers that Ells will NEVER EVER swing at that first pitch.   What a way that would be to jump start him.  Ells did have a solid game last night, but he started the game in an 0-2 hole letting two fastballs, the first of which was 88 mph right down the middle above the knees, go by.  The second was on the outer corner at 90 mph, a much tougher pitch to hit but one that could have been slapped the other way.  To his credit he managed to hit the third pitch, a cutter, hard up the middle for an out, but that first pitch was the one to nail, and it will likely be that way again tonight (as it is so many nights). 

To anyone who would argue that you don't change your approach (Jimfrom Florida are you still here?), tonight is Jacoby's chance to prove that maxim wrong.  He should be looking to gain any advantage he can to climb out of this slump in which he's mired.  He should swing at that first pitch tonight if it's a fastball over the heart of the plate.  DO IT!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ells should swing at the first pitch tonight

The good news is that I think hes changing his hitting approach. He went up the middle, and opposite field yesterday and also took a walk. Hes a 300BA 360OBP guy who can steal 40 bags a year for at least the next 4 years IMO. All he has to do is ditch the HR approach. If he gets a nice FB middle in and can turn on it, take him deep. Other than that, take what they give you, use your speed and get OB.

If the pitcher gives you a perfect meatball right down the middle, then yeah, I have no issue with being aggressive. Not sure what Mcallisters tendencies are though. If hes a guy that throws 100+ pitches through 5-6 IP, you might wanna take a few pitches. Like ive said before. The approach can slightly change from pitcher to pitcher. The overall approach stays the same, but there are exceptions to every rule.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

If ever there was a time for Ells to swing at the first pitch he sees, it is tonight.  Assuming it is a fastball down the middle of the plate from McAllister, he should deposit it in in the bullpen.  I'm sure Tito will have told his pitchers that Ells will NEVER EVER swing at that first pitch.   What a way that would be to jump start him.  Ells did have a solid game last night, but he started the game in an 0-2 hole letting two fastballs, the first of which was 88 mph right down the middle above the knees, go by.  The second was on the outer corner at 90 mph, a much tougher pitch to hit but one that could have been slapped the other way.  To his credit he managed to hit the third pitch, a cutter, hard up the middle for an out, but that first pitch was the one to nail, and it will likely be that way again tonight (as it is so many nights). 

To anyone who would argue that you don't change your approach (Jimfrom Florida are you still here?), tonight is Jacoby's chance to prove that maxim wrong.  He should be looking to gain any advantage he can to climb out of this slump in which he's mired.  He should swing at that first pitch tonight if it's a fastball over the heart of the plate.  DO IT!

Yep still here and still believe you do not change your approach. Maybe more aggresive but do not change your approach to how you hit and how you hit well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Yep still here and still believe you do not change your approach. Maybe more aggresive but do not change your approach to how you hit and how you hit well.

Agree.
    Thats exactly what Im saying Jim. Dont change the overall approach, but slightly alter it accordingly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Here is the thing:  Everybody knows that Tito knows that Ellsbury never swings at the first pitch.  So, Ellsbury knows that Tito is gonna call for a first pitch down the middle.  But, Tito, knowing that everyone knows he knows that Ellsbury isnt going to swing, knows that Ellsbury is going to swing at the first pitch tonight, knowing that Tito knows he won't swing.  So, actually, Ellsbury should lay off the first pitch, knowing that tito knows that he knows that Tito knows he won't swing.  I say take the pitch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Actually, this year he's swung at and hit the first pitch 28 times out of 217 plate appearances.  I wouldn't call that never.  In my opinion it's important for the first batter of the game to take a pitch or two.  I don't like letting the opposing pitcher start the game with a one pitch out.  Having said that, if the first pitch is a fastball down the middle, swing away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Here is the thing:  Everybody knows that Tito knows that Ellsbury never swings at the first pitch.  So, Ellsbury knows that Tito is gonna call for a first pitch down the middle.  But, Tito, knowing that everyone knows he knows that Ellsbury isnt going to swing, knows that Ellsbury is going to swing at the first pitch tonight, knowing that Tito knows he won't swing.  So, actually, Ellsbury should lay off the first pitch, knowing that tito knows that he knows that Tito knows he won't swing.  I say take the pitch.

Well, when Ells takes that first pitch, Space, we will now know what everyone was thinking.  Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Actually, this year he's swung at and hit the first pitch 28 times out of 217 plate appearances.  I wouldn't call that never.  In my opinion it's important for the first batter of the game to take a pitch or two.  I don't like letting the opposing pitcher start the game with a one pitch out.  Having said that, if the first pitch is a fastball down the middle, swing away.

But, Greenwell, I am pretty sure he is yet to have swung at the first pitch of a ballgame.  Big difference.  I realize he has swung at first pitches in other AB's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

And if Ells ever does swing at the first pitch of a ballgame, I will surely have a coronary, so it's probably not a good idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

+1000

funny stuff

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The good news is that I think hes changing his hitting approach. He went up the middle, and opposite field yesterday and also took a walk. Hes a 300BA 360OBP guy who can steal 40 bags a year for at least the next 4 years IMO. All he has to do is ditch the HR approach. If he gets a nice FB middle in and can turn on it, take him deep. Other than that, take what they give you, use your speed and get OB.

If the pitcher gives you a perfect meatball right down the middle, then yeah, I have no issue with being aggressive. Not sure what Mcallisters tendencies are though. If hes a guy that throws 100+ pitches through 5-6 IP, you might wanna take a few pitches. Like ive said before. The approach can slightly change from pitcher to pitcher. The overall approach stays the same, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Lefty, to me that was one of Ellsbury's major problems---trying to pull every da@n pitch that he swing at.  Remember the 2007 Playoffs and WS?  He went to the opposite field with great success and he needs to do that more when pitchers are working middle to outside on him if he doesn't want to pepper the second baseman with ground balls.  He also needs to toughen up and get rid of that papoose persona.  I still think he is a little too soft for his own good.  Take a page from Pedroia and DG Victorino (damaged goods) when he's healthy to play and leave it all on the field.  That's the way I see it anyway.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Lefty, to me that was one of Ellsbury's major problems---trying to pull every da@n pitch that he swing at.  Remember the 2007 Playoffs and WS?  He went to the opposite field with great success and he needs to do that more when pitchers are working middle to outside on him if he doesn't want to pepper the second baseman with ground balls.  He also needs to toughen up and get rid of that papoose persona.  I still think he is a little too soft for his own good.  Take a page from Pedroia and DG Victorino (damaged goods) when he's healthy to play and leave it all on the field.  That's the way I see it anyway.

He absolutely needs to start going with the pitch, Fred, and stop all those 4-3 groundouts.  Last night it looked like he was trying to do that.  But that's another story.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Thats the word with some of those through out the organization from what I hear. I hope he does well from here on out for the Sox sake and to feel more comfortable when they extend a QO to him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He shouldn't swing at the first pitch, he should drag bunt the ball past the pitcher.

Such a beautiful and utterly hopeless fantasy.  Just imagine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He shouldn't swing at the first pitch, he should drag bunt the ball past the pitcher.

If he pushed one down the 3b line or dragged one up the 1b line, Id be completely amazed.

He should try it more often for sure. I dont expect it though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I would like to see ells produce, don't care how he does it.  I had such high hopes for the guy when he came up. He has fallen short in my opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

You win!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Such a beautiful and utterly hopeless fantasy.  Just imagine.

He was right!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Well, he didn't swing but he fooled everyone in the park by trying to lay one down.  Way to go, Jacoby!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

So now that Ells actually took a stab at bunting the first pitch last night (good call, softy), might he take it one step further and actually swing at that first pitch?   The bunt attempt caused me a palpitation.  Let's go for a full on coronary, Jacoby.  I'm coming, Elizabeth!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

"When you're hitting the ball, it comes at you looking like a grapefruit. When you're not, it looks like a black eyed pea." - George Scott in Baseball's Greatest Quotes (1982)

We've come a long way since the Boomer's grapefruit and black-eyed pea theory.

Or mayble not.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Most of the time when Ellsbury has squared to bunt he never does. Given his speed, I couldn't understand that cause I figured that he could beat them out pretty easily, if the 3rd baseman played back or even with the bag. Then he lays one down and it's an easy base hit. I'd like to see more of that, especially until he gets his stroke back.

Sections
Shortcuts