Ells to finish strong with a power surge? "Leads Sox to WS!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ells to finish strong with a power surge? "Leads Sox to WS!"

Great news!  As the Sox will win the WS :)

Bad news is.....  We won't be able to afford the $18+M/yr 7+ year contract.  More accurately, the Sox will likely pass on spending that kind of money w/ the long term 7+ year contract on him.

Glad to have you Ells!  We hardly knew ya!

Ells to finish .315+ avg.   OBP .400+  OPS .880+   w/ 17 HR's & 70+ RBI's

Is that $18+million / 7 yr. material?   IDK

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: Ells to finish strong with a power surge?

The team would be foolish to let him go. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I have reconsidered my position over the last two weeks Re. Ellsbury:

1. I would not pay Ells a $ amount more than the other Most Valuable Player on the team            Pedroia.

2. I would offer him a configuration of Pedroia's $100 M divided over 5, 6 or 7 years.

3. The offer Expires the last game of the playoffs/ WS whichever comes last.

4. The Sox will make a QO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I have reconsidered my position over the last two weeks Re. Ellsbury:

1. I would not pay Ells a $ amount more than the other Most Valuable Player on the team            Pedroia.

2. I would offer him a configuration of Pedroia's $100 M divided over 5, 6 or 7 years.

3. The offer Expires the last game of the playoffs/ WS whichever comes last.

4. The Sox will make a QO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

The team would be foolish to let him go. 

The team would be foolish to offer anything . Boras will demand top dollar.Look around the league and after big signing what happens? How many million dollar must have players  are now on DL ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boras claims the 2011 dingers were real and the lack of dingers last year and this year resulted from the shoulder injury last year in April.  This year Ellsbury had one dinger in April, none in May, and none in June.  But he had 4 in July and seems to be headed for more than 4 in August.  The reporters for the Globe say he shows plenty of power in batting practice.  Barring injury, I think he will get 15-20 dingers this season, and Boras will shop him as a 30-30 guy. 

But all that is ahead of us.  What we know right now is that Ellsbury currently leads the team in runs, hits, and SB's, and is second on the team in total bases.  He is probably the fastest player the Sox have ever had.  He has one gold glove despite the weak arm.  I think he is worth a Pedroia like contract because his "health problems" were completely the result of running into someone or getting landed on. 

On the other hand, Bradley is as good or better in CF with a much better arm and currently has an OPS over .850 in AAA (his first year in AAA).  Ellsbury overall is a lot better because of his offense, but Bradley is a whole lot cheaper.    If the Sox believe that Bogaerts at SS, Bradley in CF, and maybe Middlebrooks at 3B can fill the offensive gap created by Ellsbury's departure, I think they make a qualifying offer, maybe even a good one, but not the one Boras wants. 

The one wild card in this might be fan appeal, which Ellsbury has, but I don't think the FO thinks that way.  Iglesias had plenty of appeal, and he is gone because of the FO belief that his lack of hitting made him expendable and long term a utility infielder. 

Sections
Shortcuts