Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ellsbury

Despite the loss of Buch for about half a season, 2 closers for the whole season, and a few other minor losses, we had been doing pretty good on the injury front, especially when compared to the last 3-4 years.

This is a tough loss. I hope it is not as bad as some here seem to think it might be.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

My prediction.  He does not heal fast and will certainly not be back before 6 to 8 weeks.....result....Ells done for the year.  Going to have to win it without him.  It will be a little harder but it can be done.  

I'll grant you its not outside the realm of possibility, but if it was that bad, why would the MLB.com article state a week or two? Its crunch time, and it will take wild horses to keep him out if there is any chance at all.

Examiner...Maybe they are overly optomistic on recovery time.  The bottom line is its a fracture and thats 6 to 8 weeks and with Ells it going to be longer because we know his history of healing....believe me I hope he does get back quicker but I won't hold my breathe for his return.

I dont say youre wrong, but my question is, what do the doctors or mlb.com have to gain by being overly optimistic? Given that the PS doesnt start for almost 4 weeks, thats probably enough time for it to heal enough for him to shake some rust off the last week, get some shots and play through it. Its what I would do if I was playing. At MOST you play 19 PS games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Despite the loss of Buch for about half a season, 2 closers for the whole season, and a few other minor losses, we had been doing pretty good on the injury front, especially when compared to the last 3-4 years.

This is a tough loss. I hope it is not as bad as some here seem to think it might be.

Sox4ever

I agree on all points Moon. We're doing VERY well compared to seasons past. I just think we're all gunshy. When any injury arises, we automatically assume the worst. In this case, I just doubt its the worst. If he was out for the season, they probably would have just come out and said so. That is, unless Belichick is now running the PR dept.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

I agree on all points Moon. We're doing VERY well compared to seasons past. I just think we're all gunshy. When any injury arises, we automatically assume the worst. In this case, I just doubt its the worst. If he was out for the season, they probably would have just come out and said so. That is, unless Belichick is now running the PR dept.

Good one!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I see this as an opportunity for Ells to disprove two rather silly assertions:

1) He's soft. Well, he's been playing with a broken bone in his foot, so I consider this one disproven.

2) He's a slow healer. A broken bone takes 4 weeks to heal for a normal person. And as Moon noted it takes longer than that for it to "feel right". If Ells is back in four weeks, he heals like a normal boy.

-Daf.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

I see this as an opportunity for Ells to disprove two rather silly assertions:

1) He's soft. Well, he's been playing with a broken bone in his foot, so I consider this one disproven.

2) He's a slow healer. A broken bone takes 4 weeks to heal for a normal person. And as Moon noted it takes longer than that for it to "feel right". If Ells is back in four weeks, he heals like a normal boy.

-Daf.

Yip.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I had a compression fracture in my right foot just running up a basketball court. From what I hear, they vary in seriousness. Mine took about 2 months to be close to normal.

It's probably impossible to know how long it will take with Jacoby. Each person reacts to pain differently.

I hope he gets back in time to get his groove back in time for the playoffs.

Sox4ever

Hi Moon, 

When I was a teenager I had the same type of fracture, but since that was close to 50 years ago they didn't have walking boots, my Pediatrist just taped my foot up, gave me a set of crutches and told me to come back in 10 days. I had this type of fracture twice, but mine were multiple, but in both cases I was up and active within two weeks. Of course every fracture like this is different, but if not too severe Ells could be back before the playoff with enough time to play a few games to get his timing back. 

Cheers, Hetch

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

I had a compression fracture in my right foot just running up a basketball court. From what I hear, they vary in seriousness. Mine took about 2 months to be close to normal.

It's probably impossible to know how long it will take with Jacoby. Each person reacts to pain differently.

I hope he gets back in time to get his groove back in time for the playoffs.

Sox4ever

Hi Moon, 

When I was a teenager I had the same type of fracture, but since that was close to 50 years ago they didn't have walking boots, my Pediatrist just taped my foot up, gave me a set of crutches and told me to come back in 10 days. I had this type of fracture twice, but mine were multiple, but in both cases I was up and active within two weeks. Of course every fracture like this is different, but if not too severe Ells could be back before the playoff with enough time to play a few games to get his timing back. 

Cheers, Hetch

I hope Jacoby only misses 2 weeks.

Mine took longer. I'm not sure if mine was worse than yours or his, but I think pain is relative in many ways. I always thought I had a pretty high pain threshhold based on some other medical issues I have had and what doctors have told me, but who knows?

Of course, I wasn't trying to rush back to play baseball either, so maybe some kind of treatment or therapy might have made me get better quicker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I hate to appear cynical, but.....

Buch was gooing to be out only day-to-day at first because he slept wrong with the baby.

No one knew why Victorino was batting exclusively RH all of a sudden until a couple of days later it was revealed that he'd "tweaked a hammy'.  "Tweaked"?  He came out of a game a week ago because he could barely walk on it!

Pedrioa hurt his thumb on opening day and the only way it became public was when a reporter got wind of it.  It was after that that Pedey said he wished the reporter hadn't said it, because it might make pitchers pitch him differently.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't see anything bad about their being reluctant to reveal things that might hurt the club (or attendance).  I just don't think we should hang our hats on anything they have to say about anyone regarding injuries. 

Since what they're sayng now has no bearing on when he'll actually be back I just pretend they said nothing and go on with my life. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I am not a doctor , and I don't play one on the forum. But somehow, the words " compression fracture " and " back in the regular season " do not compute. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night Tongue OutWink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am willing to suspend my disbelief and hang my hat on Jacoby's return.  Because, I am a believer and I must believe.  I don't think this club can go all the way without Ellsbury.

But I am scared that my inner standardized tester knows the next item in sequence:

Jacoby - facture - ?  (Arizona)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I understand why everyone will hold their breath and be cautious about being optimistic for a quick return, but the WC here is that Ells played on it(and pretty well after he hurt it and then tqweaked it and it swelled up. I have read nothing that indicates he made the injury worse by playing on it. It seems it is a small fracture, less significant that Pedeys break....and it needs to be immobilzed to begin the healing process and reduce swelling at which time it can be reevaluated, but seemingly if Ells can deal with the pain, he may be able to play on it, without making it worse and while the bone fracture finsihes healing. We can only wait and see

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Farrell says he is expected to play again this year.  I believe him, but also think it might not happen.

Peter Abraham pointed out today that the Sox are 10-4 so far in games Ellsbury has not played in.  If the WAR stats have any meaning, however, Ellsbury is hard to replace, especially by Bradley, who has yet to show be belongs in Boston.  Bradley has not dazzled me with his fielding or throwing, but especially not with his hitting. 

On the other hand, I have never believed one guy can make that big of a difference.  We lost Buchholz for three months, and the pitching has been fine without him, especially if you ignore the recent Yankees series.  We lost Hanrahan and Bailey, and the bullpen has been OK, but especially the closer.  Ortiz missed games, but the Sox were fine.  Ditto Victorino.  Napoli went into a slump, but Farrell found workarounds. 

Put Bradley in the 9th slot and hope for the best.  The good news is that Ortiz, Napoli/Carp, Pedroia, Nava/Gomes, Middlebrooks, Drew, and Victorino are all hitting pretty well, and Salty/Ross should be OK in the catcher slot. 

My goodness, the Sox were hitting and winning games when the 3B slot was a disaster.  Don't forget that one reason for trading Iglesias was he had a really bad July and was starting mostly at 3B.  Then he left and couple of other guys--Snyder and Holt, I think, didn't help.  Finally, Middlebrooks came back and was the 2012 version, which was and is pretty darn good. 

If Bradley can live up to his defensive reputation, I think the Sox will be fine in CF.  Worst case, move Victorino to CF and Nava to RF and a good hitter into LF, maybe even Bogaerts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Good news. Like Ells or not there is no denying the guy is having a very good year.

I can't imagine anyone not liking him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to torgorockson's comment:

My prediction.  He does not heal fast and will certainly not be back before 6 to 8 weeks.....result....Ells done for the year.  Going to have to win it without him.  It will be a little harder but it can be done.  

I'll grant you its not outside the realm of possibility, but if it was that bad, why would the MLB.com article state a week or two? Its crunch time, and it will take wild horses to keep him out if there is any chance at all.

Somebody mentioned that Buchholz would be back in a week or two. That was back in June.

How about your predictions on the 1-5 West Coast trip and the Red Sox finish September and August a combined 10 games under 500?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I am not a doctor , and I don't play one on the forum. But somehow, the words " compression fracture " and " back in the regular season " do not compute. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

As SOFTY would say ...............  "SON, I told you so" !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I hate to appear cynical, but.....

Buch was gooing to be out only day-to-day at first because he slept wrong with the baby.

No one knew why Victorino was batting exclusively RH all of a sudden until a couple of days later it was revealed that he'd "tweaked a hammy'.  "Tweaked"?  He came out of a game a week ago because he could barely walk on it!

Pedrioa hurt his thumb on opening day and the only way it became public was when a reporter got wind of it.  It was after that that Pedey said he wished the reporter hadn't said it, because it might make pitchers pitch him differently.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't see anything bad about their being reluctant to reveal things that might hurt the club (or attendance).  I just don't think we should hang our hats on anything they have to say about anyone regarding injuries. 

Since what they're sayng now has no bearing on when he'll actually be back I just pretend they said nothing and go on with my life. 

Well stated from start to finish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I hate to appear optimistic but with or without Ellsbury we're in position to make a deep run in the postseason. Certainly we're a better team with than without...

Ellsbury will make it back and play if...

1) His foot heals and allows him to play "pain free" with little risk of reinjuring the foot, causing him to have to shut it down as he enters free agency.

2) Boras see his return as benefitficial to his pending free agency (Make no mistake Boras will have a voice in the final decision). A hobbled Ells likely doesn't enhance his appeal, but if he's close to 100%. A strong showing in the post season would give Boras even more leverage in negotiating a new deal. 

3) How badly does he want to play in the post season. In the end the kids a competitor and given the culture on the current squad. My intuition suggest that he sees himself as part of something special and won't want to let down his teammates...if he can play, he will.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hopefully, he will stay off of it completely for 2 weeks

Get a week's worth of therapy

Play the Friday and Sunday games of the O's series (w/ Saturday Off) and he'll be ready to tough out another 3 to 19 more games.......there are enough off days

I think it's perfectly doable......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

First, I regret hammering Bradley, who hasn't proven much yet at the MLB level but who also hasn't played in many games.  At AA and AAA, he was pretty good.  No Ellsbury, maybe, but not half bad.  The semi-good news about Ellsbury's injury is it gives the Sox another chance to evaluate Bradley in CF at the MLB level.  Most of us believe that Bradley is the fallback if Ellsbury's free agency puts him out of reach salary-wise.  Moonslav estimates that the Sox will never pay him $20M/season, but should be able to afford $15M per or so for maybe 5 years, and I agree with moonslav's greater expertise.   

As for Ellsbury now, Scott Boras has now provided a much more detailed explanation of his client's injury, and it certainly seems Ellsbury should be able to resume baseball activities when the swelling goes down.  It is apparently a very small and limited fracture and not like Pedroia's in 2010.  Assuming Ellsbury does get back for the playoffs or sooner, the remaining issue is how quickly he can get his timing at the plate back. 

Sections
Shortcuts