Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Ellsbury

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

First, I regret hammering Bradley, who hasn't proven much yet at the MLB level but who also hasn't played in many games.  At AA and AAA, he was pretty good.  No Ellsbury, maybe, but not half bad.  The semi-good news about Ellsbury's injury is it gives the Sox another chance to evaluate Bradley in CF at the MLB level.  Most of us believe that Bradley is the fallback if Ellsbury's free agency puts him out of reach salary-wise.  Moonslav estimates that the Sox will never pay him $20M/season, but should be able to afford $15M per or so for maybe 5 years, and I agree with moonslav's greater expertise.   

As for Ellsbury now, Scott Boras has now provided a much more detailed explanation of his client's injury, and it certainly seems Ellsbury should be able to resume baseball activities when the swelling goes down.  It is apparently a very small and limited fracture and not like Pedroia's in 2010.  Assuming Ellsbury does get back for the playoffs or sooner, the remaining issue is how quickly he can get his timing at the plate back. 

thanks for the info

and i go to 6/100 w/ Ellsbury - guaranteed money - take it or leave it, and not one penny more...i'd give him 1 week to shop that price around and then i pull the offer.  if anyone wants to give him more or if he'd rather play elsewhere then fine...but that's one generous offer...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

Farrell said doctors confident that Ellsbury didn't make foot fracture worse by playing for nearly a week after initial injury

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Current odds to win the WS:

LAD  5/2

DET  4/1

BOS  6/1

ATL  6/1

STL  8/1

PIT 10/1

TEX 11/1

OAK 12/1

CIN 14/1

TBR 14/1

CLE 25/1

BAL 30/1

NYY 30/1

Odds to win the AL:

DET 3/2

BOS 3/1

TEX 5/1

OAK 6/1

TBR 7/1

BAL & CLE 12/1

NYY 15/1

KCR 75/1

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

why are all your posts in bold? Like you are yelling at all of us. I for one ignore your posts

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ells has been hammered for missing games when he was among the lower-salaried Sox.  I happen to think most of his injuries were pretty awful (ribs, shoulder) and I doubt he was milking it so he could be "100%".  But I really shudder to think of the money that will be necressary to retain his services.  I'm hoping the Sox make him a fair market offer, but I can also understand if they set a limit in terms of years.  Maybe they'll go higher salary for shorter years?  I can already see Ells here at 35 making 20+ mil per year and being hammered by fans and media because he can only play 90 games.  Love to see him stay, but I'm sure Boras will get someone to pay more than they should.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if I knew for sure he'd play 150+ games a year times 5, I wouldn't pay $18M+ per year. $16-17M is borderline, but these days...

Sox4ever

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Even if I knew for sure he'd play 150+ games a year times 5, I wouldn't pay $18M+ per year. $16-17M is borderline, but these days...

Sox4ever

That's one of the things that makes negotiations difficult.  $17M may be reasonable today but $20 may be reasonable in five years. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Ells has been hammered for missing games when he was among the lower-salaried Sox.  I happen to think most of his injuries were pretty awful (ribs, shoulder) and I doubt he was milking it so he could be "100%".  But I really shudder to think of the money that will be necressary to retain his services.  I'm hoping the Sox make him a fair market offer, but I can also understand if they set a limit in terms of years.  Maybe they'll go higher salary for shorter years?  I can already see Ells here at 35 making 20+ mil per year and being hammered by fans and media because he can only play 90 games.  Love to see him stay, but I'm sure Boras will get someone to pay more than they should.  

That is why players sign with him.  That's why he is the top agent in baseball.  People can love to hate him, but it would be great if everyone did their job as well as he does his.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Sox4ever

That's one of the things that makes negotiations difficult.  $17M may be reasonable today but $20 may be reasonable in five years. 

Perhaps, but in 5 years, Jacoby is 35.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

That is why players sign with him.  That's why he is the top agent in baseball.  People can love to hate him, but it would be great if everyone did their job as well as he does his.

VTek might disagree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

First, I regret hammering Bradley, who hasn't proven much yet at the MLB level but who also hasn't played in many games.  At AA and AAA, he was pretty good.  No Ellsbury, maybe, but not half bad.  The semi-good news about Ellsbury's injury is it gives the Sox another chance to evaluate Bradley in CF at the MLB level.  Most of us believe that Bradley is the fallback if Ellsbury's free agency puts him out of reach salary-wise.  Moonslav estimates that the Sox will never pay him $20M/season, but should be able to afford $15M per or so for maybe 5 years, and I agree with moonslav's greater expertise.   

As for Ellsbury now, Scott Boras has now provided a much more detailed explanation of his client's injury, and it certainly seems Ellsbury should be able to resume baseball activities when the swelling goes down.  It is apparently a very small and limited fracture and not like Pedroia's in 2010.  Assuming Ellsbury does get back for the playoffs or sooner, the remaining issue is how quickly he can get his timing at the plate back. 

thanks for the info

and i go to 6/100 w/ Ellsbury - guaranteed money - take it or leave it, and not one penny more...i'd give him 1 week to shop that price around and then i pull the offer.  if anyone wants to give him more or if he'd rather play elsewhere then fine...but that's one generous offer...

Sure thing.  Your 6/100 is pretty darn close to what moonslav is saying. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Sox4ever

Yep.  In an odd twist of fate, He was born on Sept. 11, 1983 so he turns 30 today.  He'd be 34 through all but the last month (or two!) of a five year contract. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

thanks for the info

Sure thing.  Your 6/100 is pretty darn close to what moonslav is saying. 

I wouldn't give 6 years at $17M.

I doubt I'd give 5 years at that amount.

I might give $66M/4 or $80M/5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

Yep.  In an odd twist of fate, He was born on Sept. 11, 1983 so he turns 30 today.  He'd be 34 through all but the last month (or two!) of a five year contract. 

I get the math. It wasn't about the last 2 months at 35, it was also about the year at 34, and maybe the year at 33.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So what's the latest w/ the injury?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, whose right foot was put in an immobilizing boot last week with what was diagnosed as a small, non-displaced compression fracture in his foot, took a step forward in his rehab on Friday. He’s receiving ongoing treatment for his foot, but on Friday, he was able to commence physical activity, including some work outside of the boot,” said manager John Farrell. “Based on the exam and second opinion, this was the day, the first date we could begin that. So he’s on target.”

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

very good news

now we need our bullpen to come through!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

very good news

They have been over-worked and we are pushing our luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

very good news

Its getting to the time of the year when everyone is tired and overworked. They can rest in about six weeks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

very good news

Its getting to the time of the year when everyone is tired and overworked. They can rest in about six weeks.

The problem may be that when we rest them, they may get out of sinc and not be able to find it again come playoff time.

Sections
Shortcuts