Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ellsbury

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We'd have to go over the luxury limit to keep all 4.

I'm not saying we can't, but if Ellsbury gets $18M/yr, Napoli $14M, Drew $11M, and Salty $10M, we'd be over by about $8-13M. I guess we could try and dump Dempster to stay under, but I think Ellsbury walks, so we can sigbn more FAs instead.

Sox4ever

Why bother w/ Drew?  He's going to want multiple years and why pay him that kind of money to be a back up?

I didn't say I wanted all 4. I was responding to those who want to keep the exact magic another year.

There's no way we keep Drew and Napoli, but I could see keeping Drew and letting Naps walk. Drew at SS, Bogey at 3B, and Middy at 1B.

I don't think Ellsbury will be back either, so to me, we might have 2 of the 4 back at most: Salty and one of Drew or Naps. I don't put high odds on Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham         @PeteAbe

Ellsbury emerged to say he was "confident" of playing this season. No timetable. #redsox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Ellsbury emerged to say he was "confident" of playing this season. No timetable. #redsox

thanks...yeah i saw this on Felg & Mazz and then online about an hour ago

i am going with playing that last Fri, take Sat off, then Sunday......then take mon and tue off and then wed and thurs hit the cages and OF hard and be ready for G1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I read the transcript of his press interview. Sounded like he was taking lessons from Belichick. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I read the transcript of his press interview. Sounded like he was taking lessons from Belichick. 

I don't see him returning, during the regular season. The 4 days off, between the regular season and the playoffs, may help. How effective he'll be, is another question. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's hope JBJ has his feet on the ground come playoff time.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What is the latest w/ Vic?

If it were me, I'd have a bunch of guys not even bother traveling to Denver - just straight to Balt for R&R

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Ortiz (will NOT play 1B so why bother for 2 PH AB's)

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

they need rest and it's not worth the trip to CO

I would play all my starters in Balt and then they get 4 days off again

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

thanks...yeah i saw this on Felg & Mazz and then online about an hour ago

i am going with playing that last Fri, take Sat off, then Sunday......then take mon and tue off and then wed and thurs hit the cages and OF hard and be ready for G1

DH?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Maybe DH next Fri

Off on Sat

CF on Sun

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If it were me, I'd have a bunch of guys not even bother traveling to Denver - just straight to Balt for R&R

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

I'd send Papi, Shane, and Koji straight to BAL, but not the others. Don't break up the routine. I mean, what if the guys sit around eating chicken and drinking bear?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Maybe DH next Fri

Off on Sat

CF on Sun

I'd say at least DH him every game possible so he sees live pitching - no basestealing! - and CF him at least once.  If he can't DH every day it's hard to imagine him playing CF.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

I'd send Papi, Shane, and Koji straight to BAL, but not the others. Don't break up the routine. I mean, what if the guys sit around eating chicken and drinking bear?

Why not at least include the starters who aren't schedule to start those 2 days?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interesting turn to the discussion.  I hate to say it, but I'm inclined to want to send everyone to Colorado, even the ones who are unlikely to play, for three reasons.  1.  Home field advantage is likely to still be in play, so winning against the Rockies will mean something.  2.  This team has excelled this year very much as a team.  They all root for and congratulate each other.  They share the discomforts of travel and the strangeness of away ballparks.  3.   Players who are on the DL are normally expected to travel with the team.  It is rare to send any player to a city where the team is going, the exception being the starting pitcher in the first game.  In this case, the Sox get a travel day coming back, so whoever starts at game 1 at Baltimore can also go to Denver.  Beautiful, beautiful Denver. 

I have been beating up on Bradley, no doubt unfairly, and would like to remind everyone he had a double and single last night.  This is great news, because there is a real possibility he will be important in the playoffs if either Ellsbury or Victorino can't play.  Nothing would please me more than having Bradley catch fire. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

'd send Papi, Shane, and Koji straight to BAL, but not the others. Don't break up the routine. I mean, what if the guys sit around eating chicken and drinking bear?

Why not at least include the starters who aren't schedule to start those 2 days?

Because that breaks their routine.

Because they should be there rooting for their teammates, and not eating chicken or.... errr, I mean, home relaxing.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Interesting turn to the discussion.  I hate to say it, but I'm inclined to want to send everyone to Colorado, even the ones who are unlikely to play, for three reasons.  1.  Home field advantage is likely to still be in play, so winning against the Rockies will mean something.  2.  This team has excelled this year very much as a team.  They all root for and congratulate each other.  They share the discomforts of travel and the strangeness of away ballparks.  3.   Players who are on the DL are normally expected to travel with the team.  It is rare to send any player to a city where the team is going, the exception being the starting pitcher in the first game.  In this case, the Sox get a travel day coming back, so whoever starts at game 1 at Baltimore can also go to Denver.  Beautiful, beautiful Denver. ...

I didn't see your post when I posted.

I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I agree with your POV 100% but the other side to that is the obvious rest but also giving the bench guys a chance to shine and gel even more so as a unit.  Also, that's why I take this weekend serious - because we have to win the division.  Homefield is also important but not to the extent that we go in weak - ie rested over homefield in the LCS (we still have homefield in the DLS and WS).....And CO is only 2 games and a very weak team to begin with - why fly Ortiz out there for 2 AB's for example and why fly out 4 SP's who won't start a game either? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

What about the division title? I guess you are assuming that Oakland and Detroit are too far back to worry about?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

What about the division title? I guess you are assuming that Oakland and Detroit are too far back to worry about?

Yes, division title is crucial and I thought I made that clear? 

We have to wrap that up this weeked

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...why fly Ortiz out there for 2 AB's for example and why fly out 4 SP's who won't start a game either? 

For the same reason you fly them there in May: to be with the team, even if there is little or no chance of playing.... keeping them away from Beer and Chicken!

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

...why fly Ortiz out there for 2 AB's for example and why fly out 4 SP's who won't start a game either? 

For the same reason you fly them there in May: to be with the team, even if there is little or no chance of playing.... keeping them away from Beer and Chicken!

Sox4ever

I would make an exception

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

Starting pitcher at most goes ahead.  If people really buy into the chemistry thing, aren't they risking blowing up the lab by sending key players ahead?  What about teamwork?  

If the Sox sent their medical team and a few bruised players there for some last minute rehab ok, but this is such a marginal issue compared to....everything else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Ellsbury

Vic

Salty

Pedey

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Koji

Taz

Breslow

Drew

Starting pitcher at most goes ahead.  If people really buy into the chemistry thing, aren't they risking blowing up the lab by sending key players ahead?  What about teamwork?  

If the Sox sent their medical team and a few bruised players there for some last minute rehab ok, but this is such a marginal issue compared to....everything else.

i can't really argue with you - that would be the risk but what about the idea of the bench guys having the chance to own the games for themselves?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Andrewmitch,

Taking the whole team to Colorado is the right thing to do and will not prevent Farrell from starting several "benchers."  Plus the "benchers" will have the benefit of the regulars rooting like heck for them, which has been happening all season long.  Leaving anyone on the roster behind would send the wrong message to the team. 

And I haven't even gotten into the dangers of sojourning in Baltimore, also know as crab city.  Hard ones and soft ones.  Weird houses.  Ravens.  Edgar Allen Poe fetishes.  Never go to Baltimore alone--with the possible exception of watching a ballgame at Camden Yards, and even that carries risks if you are traveling from Virginia. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I know you're probably right and Agreed - Baltimore is the single scariest city I have ever been - worse than the Bronx, Camden, El Paso, and Bridgeport......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

First, I regret hammering Bradley, who hasn't proven much yet at the MLB level but who also hasn't played in many games.  At AA and AAA, he was pretty good.  No Ellsbury, maybe, but not half bad.  The semi-good news about Ellsbury's injury is it gives the Sox another chance to evaluate Bradley in CF at the MLB level.  Most of us believe that Bradley is the fallback if Ellsbury's free agency puts him out of reach salary-wise.  Moonslav estimates that the Sox will never pay him $20M/season, but should be able to afford $15M per or so for maybe 5 years, and I agree with moonslav's greater expertise.   

As for Ellsbury now, Scott Boras has now provided a much more detailed explanation of his client's injury, and it certainly seems Ellsbury should be able to resume baseball activities when the swelling goes down.  It is apparently a very small and limited fracture and not like Pedroia's in 2010.  Assuming Ellsbury does get back for the playoffs or sooner, the remaining issue is how quickly he can get his timing at the plate back. 

thanks for the info

and i go to 6/100 w/ Ellsbury - guaranteed money - take it or leave it, and not one penny more...i'd give him 1 week to shop that price around and then i pull the offer.  if anyone wants to give him more or if he'd rather play elsewhere then fine...but that's one generous offer...

Sections
Shortcuts