Ellsbury and Pedroia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury and Pedroia

Pretty good one-two punch.  Before discussing how good, I would like to reiterate that right now the Sox have the best one-two-three-four-five punch in MLB:  Jake, Pedey, AGon, Youk, and Papi.  Plus Salty/Tek ain't too shabby as the catching tandem, and Crawford has had some good games too.

Ellsbury and Pedroia have pretty similar numbers:  13 dingers apiece; Jake's 68 runs to Pedey's 63; Jake's .870 OPS to Pedey's .869; Jake's 52 rbi's to Pedey's 50; Jake's 120 hits to Pedey's 107; and so on.

If you project those numbers out to a full season (and I multiplied their current numbers by 1.75, which assumes they will play about 159 games each), Pedey will hit 23 dingers, score 110 runs,  bat in 87 runs, and get 187 hits.  Jake would also get 23 dingers, plus 119 runs scored, 91 rbi's, and 210 hits.  Plus their OPS's would be right around .870.

In 2008 Pedroia won the American MVP award when he had an OPS for the season of .869, plus 17 dingers, 118 runs scored, 83 rbi's, and 213 hits.   Those numbers are eerily similar to what I project for both Pedey and Jake.  Of course, Pedey also played great defense in 2008, plus it was somewhat of a down year for the big rbi guys, so he kind of snuck in there.

My point is not that either guy is a candidate for AL MVP in 2011.  AGon right now is our best candidate.  But isn't it nice to realize what a high level our one-two punch is playing at--to say nothing of being followed by three other guys, AGon, Youk, and Ortiz, who are also having very good years. 

And, of course, I have this ulterior motive.  Old softy continues to tell one and all that the Sox should dump Ellsbury as soon as possible because he can't hit lefties or plays centerfield like he's blindfolded or whatever.  So I kind of like the fact that, if Jake keeps this up, his 2011 numbers will be as good as or slightly better than Pedroia's were when he won the AL MVP.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: Ellsbury and Pedroia

great post Max.  with our superior starting pitching and the best hitting in baseball, this is why we are pulling away from the pack in the AL East

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Ellsbury and Pedroia:
     And, of course, I have this ulterior motive.  Old softy continues to tell one and all that the Sox should dump Ellsbury as soon as possible because he can't hit lefties or plays centerfield like he's blindfolded or whatever.  So I kind of like the fact that, if Jake keeps this up, his 2011 numbers will be as good as or slightly better than Pedroia's were when he won the AL MVP.   
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You're dreaming if you think 'numbers' will squash Softy's hatefest for Ellsbury.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Squashing softy's hatefest is of course impossible, but squashing his reputation is not.  Thus every time he responds to a thread like this, he loses more and more credibility.  Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Kemp if that were possible (it probably isn't), but I would use him to replace Drew, not Jake. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Softy, AKA BillyBoy knows that Jake is a damn good ballplayer and it is really killing him. Right now he is just beating a dead horse and is very much in denial.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

"And, of course, I have this ulterior motive.  Old softy continues to tell one and all that the Sox should dump Ellsbury as soon as possible because he can't hit lefties or plays centerfield like he's blindfolded or whatever."

Don't forget that awful "reverse pivot" swing.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In 2009, there were folks complaining that these two were hitting too many flyballs. What happened to that complaint?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury and Pedroia:
    [QUOTE] Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Kemp if that were possible (it probably isn't), but I would use him to replace Drew, not Jake. That's why you are stupid. Kemp replaces Drew/Cameron, Crawford replaces Bellsbury, and Reddick/Kalish replace #6 hitter 20M man Crawford. Take a look at the career log on Bellsbury's reverse pivot homer totals, double digits for the first time in his life. Crisp had back to seasons of 15 and 16 homers. This season doesn't make Bellsbury a bank 20 homer a year talent. Nor does it make him a career high OBP talent. Trade him while the slobber is still dripping from most Red Sox fans' chin. He will cost 12 to 14M over the next 2 years, invest the money in Kemp or similar profile.  Adding AGon behind Pedroia would make Wally's numbers spike. Pedroia is everything Ellsbury will never be. A leader, clutch performer, top defender, and huge team value. Pedroia would be delighted to see Ellsbury leave town, which isn't far away.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

As promised, softy responds without addressing the facts:  if Ellsbury keeps this up, he will have a better year than Pedroia did his MVP year--at least in terms of offensive stats. 

I agree that Pedroia is more valuable than Ellsbury in a lot of respects, but also think it makes no sense to chase LA's franchise player, who is probably unobtainable and would cost a bundle in terms of players and salary, and get rid of probably the best leadoff hitter in the AL and maybe all of MLB. 

Also interesting that the more cornered softy feels, the more insulting he becomes and the more outlandish his comments are. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Softy, where do you get the "scoop" that Pedroia would be delighted to see Ellsbury leave town? Or do you just make this crap up as you troll along? If he does cost the Sox between $10 and $14mil over the next two years his value will still be off the charts in today's baseball economy.

I've conversed enough with you to know that you are not ignorant when it comes to baseball, although you do come across that way too often when you dig your heels in on positions that facts simply proof you wrong. But even you have to admit that Ellsbury is having a great year. And if you can't then you are clearly so blinded by your prejudices, and unwilling to ever admit being wrong, that further conversations are foolish and foolhardy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

By pulling away do you mean from the Yankees, who are one game back?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Ellsbury and Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]Pretty good one-two punch.  Before discussing how good, I would like to reiterate that right now the Sox have the best one-two-three-four-five punch in MLB:  Jake, Pedey, AGon, Youk, and Papi.  Plus Salty/Tek ain't too shabby as the catching tandem, and Crawford has had some good games too. Ellsbury and Pedroia have pretty similar numbers:  13 dingers apiece; Jake's 68 runs to Pedey's 63; Jake's .870 OPS to Pedey's .869; Jake's 52 rbi's to Pedey's 50; Jake's 120 hits to Pedey's 107; and so on. If you project those numbers out to a full season (and I multiplied their current numbers by 1.75, which assumes they will play about 159 games each), Pedey will hit 23 dingers, score 110 runs,  bat in 87 runs, and get 187 hits.  Jake would also get 23 dingers, plus 119 runs scored, 91 rbi's, and 210 hits.  Plus their OPS's would be right around .870. In 2008 Pedroia won the American MVP award when he had an OPS for the season of .869, plus 17 dingers, 118 runs scored, 83 rbi's, and 213 hits.   Those numbers are eerily similar to what I project for both Pedey and Jake.  Of course, Pedey also played great defense in 2008, plus it was somewhat of a down year for the big rbi guys, so he kind of snuck in there. My point is not that either guy is a candidate for AL MVP in 2011.  AGon right now is our best candidate.  But isn't it nice to realize what a high level our one-two punch is playing at--to say nothing of being followed by three other guys, AGon, Youk, and Ortiz, who are also having very good years.  And, of course, I have this ulterior motive.  Old softy continues to tell one and all that the Sox should dump Ellsbury as soon as possible because he can't hit lefties or plays centerfield like he's blindfolded or whatever.  So I kind of like the fact that, if Jake keeps this up, his 2011 numbers will be as good as or slightly better than Pedroia's were when he won the AL MVP.   
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Great post....and this team despite leading many offensive categories has still not clicked on all cylinders..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Karp, I assume he means that both the Sox and Yankees are pulling away from the rest of the field as both have the two best records in the AL and the 2nd and 3rd in all of MLB.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

a career .295 hitter VS. LHP is WEAK for a left handed hitter huh???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE] Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Kemp if that were possible (it probably isn't), but I would use him to replace Drew, not Jake. That's why you are stupid. Kemp replaces Drew/Cameron, Crawford replaces Bellsbury, and Reddick/Kalish replace #6 hitter 20M man Crawford. Take a look at the career log on Bellsbury's reverse pivot homer totals, double digits for the first time in his life. Crisp had back to seasons of 15 and 16 homers. This season doesn't make Bellsbury a bank 20 homer a year talent. Nor does it make him a career high OBP talent. Trade him while the slobber is still dripping from most Red Sox fans' chin. He will cost 12 to 14M over the next 2 years, invest the money in Kemp or similar profile.  Adding AGon behind Pedroia would make Wally's numbers spike. Pedroia is everything Ellsbury will never be. A leader, clutch performer, top defender, and huge team value. Pedroia would be delighted to see Ellsbury leave town, which isn't far away.

What an idiot!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]2011 is not .295, not that his BA is what counts v. LHP on a team that has zilch OF OPS proficiency v. LHP.

oh so current year counts???

Yet you used the exact opposite argument against Ellsbury and Crawford despite their rising OBP year by year and PREACHED they would stick to their career avg's.....yet when the numbers aren't convenient with Ellsbury you pull a 180

And his career OPS between LHP RHP is different by .003. 

Oh I'm sorry you won't to judge him by 120 ab sample size???

Your a hater....everyone knows your a hater, and you sound like a broken record that can't stop playing the same tune. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Softy, where do you get the "scoop" that Pedroia would be delighted to see Ellsbury leave town? Or do you just make this crap up as you troll along? If he does cost the Sox between $10 and $14mil over the next two years his value will still be off the charts in today's baseball economy. I've conversed enough with you to know that you are not ignorant when it comes to baseball, although you do come across that way too often when you dig your heels in on positions that facts simply proof you wrong. But even you have to admit that Ellsbury is having a great year. And if you can't then you are clearly so blinded by your prejudices, and unwilling to ever admit being wrong, that further conversations are foolish and foolhardy.
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

Because his bias ties in with his pathological need to feel he is right all the time, he is in fact ignorant when it comes to baseball. That's the result of his baggage.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Barney Fwank hates me;) Hater!!!!

???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]Softy, where do you get the "scoop" that Pedroia would be delighted to see Ellsbury leave town? Or do you just make this crap up as you troll along? If he does cost the Sox between $10 and $14mil over the next two years his value will still be off the charts in today's baseball economy. I've conversed enough with you to know that you are not ignorant when it comes to baseball, although you do come across that way too often when you dig your heels in on positions that facts simply proof you wrong. But even you have to admit that Ellsbury is having a great year. And if you can't then you are clearly so blinded by your prejudices, and unwilling to ever admit being wrong, that further conversations are foolish and foolhardy.
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

Just like old man Murdoch yesterday in Parliament, time waits for no man.  The old "person of colour" lawyer poster has mentally declined.

I wouldn't trust Murdoch to use a toaster by himself after yesterday's performance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's putting it mildly!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts