Ellsbury closing in on a 7 year deal with the Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Ellsbury closing in on a 7 year deal with the Yankees?

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

ESPN: Ellsbury is on his way to NY for a physical. 7/153

Way too much for a speed guy who gets hurt a lot.  

he's been on the DL 3 times in his entire career. hurt "a lot" is a total misrepresentation.

Has averaged about 113 games a year for last six years.  Only played 134 games this year.

once again. only 3 DL stints. that does not constitute being labeled as "hurt a lot"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Ellsbury got that many years and money then I wonder what kind of deal Choo will get. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

The EE shall pay for this ugly arrogant extravaganza, where I live we say:"God is taller than a coconut tree"... Cmn Ben, cive us a couple of short term valuable deals...and give a chance to JBJ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

ESPN: Ellsbury is on his way to NY for a physical. 7/153

Way too much for a speed guy who gets hurt a lot.  

he's been on the DL 3 times in his entire career. hurt "a lot" is a total misrepresentation.

Has averaged about 113 games a year for last six years.  Only played 134 games this year.

once again. only 3 DL stints. that does not constitute being labeled as "hurt a lot"

He has missed most of two seasons.  The guy helped the Sox win two WS?  That is great.  Now he  is going to the arch rival for the money.  He is entitled to do that and Sox fans are entitled to boo him whenever they want. he will help the Yankees for a few years and he will hit some HRs with that short RF fence but he is waaaaaayyy overpaid.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox will sign Napoli or Beltran, but if we trade Dempster or Peavy, we can get both of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to redsoxsally's comment:

Definitely going to be crying myself to sleep over this one.

So much for the notion from many posters that Ellsbury might be returning. So  much for the emotion invested in this scab prima donna player, Watching him get roasted by the NY fans and media and the scorned Red Sox legion of doting Ellsbury fans is simply my best day as a Red Sox fan since 2004. 

This post is disgusting even for you Softy. The fact that you take so much joy over this compared to the WS is pathetic. A major piece of two championships and is gone and the Sox don't have a replacement yet. Bradley will be in AAA or trade so the Sox now need a CFer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox will sign Napoli or Beltran, but if we trade Dempster or Peavy, we can get both of them.

Is this assuming the Sox won't go over 150 or 189? Personally I don't think the Sox really are bound to either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

This is too good to be true!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellsbury gone and costing the Yankees 150 million plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellsbury signing with the Yankees for the money is a better script that I could have written!!!!!!!!!!

Best day for this Red Sox fan since 2004!

REALLY?  I would say 10/30/13 was a better day for any Red Sox fan-- you know when they won the World Series-- remember?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Hmmm... Looks like this trade dragged the non-fan named Softy out of the closet. That's too bad.  It was a nice respite during the (too) short time without him.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox don't have a replacement yet. Bradley will be in AAA or trade so the Sox now need a CFer.

Red Sox aren't trading Bradley anytime soon, pal. And don't cry too hard over Ellsbury and that pitiful goatie facial hair now talking the pride of the Yankees. 

Bradley is probably ready, but the Red Sox should sign Rajai Davis as a nice compliment to an OF that has Victornio, Gomes and Nava. Davis being signed is a no brainer, with Gomes being gone at end of 2014.

It's too good to be true, Ellsbury to the Yankees for over 150 million!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Davis has a career OPS of .693. He is a loser. I would not have him on my team if JBJ is available too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Sox don't have a replacement yet. Bradley will be in AAA or trade so the Sox now need a CFer.

Red Sox aren't trading Bradley anytime soon, pal. And don't cry too hard over Ellsbury and that pitiful goatie facial hair now talking the pride of the Yankees. 

Bradley is probably ready, but the Red Sox should sign Rajai Davis as a nice compliment to an OF that has Victornio, Gomes and Nava. Davis being signed is a no brainer, with Gomes being gone at end of 2014.

It's too good to be true, Ellsbury to the Yankees for over 150 million!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Davis has a career OPS of .693. He is a loser. I would not have him on my team if JBJ is available too.

Davis is not a starter, and he is more like a 5th Ofer. This team needs another OFer now. Choo might be an option but he is costly and will force the Sox to move Victorino to CF. It is just too bad Bradley didn't have a better season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rajai's career OPS vs LHPs is .779, which is about what Ellsbury's overall OPS was in 2013.

I do agree that he is not "the solution".

We need protection for Papi, and maybe his eventual replacement.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Rajai's career OPS vs LHPs is .779, which is about what Ellsbury's overall OPS was in 2013.

I do agree that he is not "the solution".

We need protection for Papi, and maybe his eventual replacement.

Stanton would be nice if he could play RF or CF, else wise you have to make two moves to get him.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Davis is a perfect bench compliment to Bradley and current Red Sox OF. Victorino can play CF until Bradley is ready, which I believe he is. It must be noted that Bradley didn't have any 'season" in 2013. He was bounced up and down. 

Ellsbury wasn't the protection for Ortiz. Davis is a better stealer than Ellsbury and hits LP as well or better than Ellsbury. But he doesn't cost, I can't say it because I'm laughing too hard. 

You can admit Bradley had a poor season last year. It not like it is going to determine this whole career. He just needs a solid few more months at AAA and has to earn his way back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

on a serious note, as a baseball fan i do hope Bradley eventually gets his shot..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I guess "healthy" is a relative thing. For NYY, if you've had to live thru last year with Teixeir, Jeter, A-Rod, Granderson, Youkilis, etc., hurt, then I guess Ells looks like an iron horse.

I've been trying to come up with an "E (Ells) Factor" for comparing the value of Ells paycheck to what we're giving Peedy based on nothing more than availability to play. I know there's got to be some WAR number somewhere that accounts for time on the injured list, but I'm going to let some sabre metrics geek pull up that number.

Taking the long view, Peedy averaged 140 games over seven seasons including his short 75 game season.

Over the six years that included Ells two injury years, Ells averaged 113.67 games per season.

Ells could only manage .81 games for every one game for Peedy. If you look at just the last four years, that number falls to .72.

What this does to the effective NYY pay for Ells is startling when considered from one point of view.

Dividing Ells new yearly amount ($21,857,714) by these factors, he looks like a much more expensive player than the raw salary number would suggest:

.81 = $26.984,126

.72 = $30,357,142

On the whole, I'm very happy that the Yankees have him and that we have Peedy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

I guess "healthy" is a relative thing. For NYY, if you've had to live thru last year with Teixeir, Jeter, A-Rod, Granderson, Youkilis, etc., hurt, then I guess Ells looks like an iron horse.

I've been trying to come up with an "E (Ells) Factor" for comparing the value of Ells paycheck to what we're giving Peedy based on nothing more than availability to play. I know there's got to be some WAR number somewhere that accounts for time on the injured list, but I'm going to let some sabre metrics geek pull up that number.

Taking the long view, Peedy averaged 140 games over seven seasons including his short 75 game season.

Over the six years that included Ells two injury years, Ells averaged 113.67 games per season.

Ells could only manage .81 games for every one game for Peedy. If you look at just the last four years, that number falls to .72.

What this does to the effective NYY pay for Ells is startling when considered from one point of view.

Dividing Ells new yearly amount ($21,857,714) by these factors, he looks like a much more expensive player than the raw salary number would suggest:

.81 = $26.984,126

.72 = $30,357,142

On the whole, I'm very happy that the Yankees have him and that we have Peedy.

sorry lasitter

IMO your post has NO merit

how can you compare a FA contract to an extension with 2 yrs 2 go

and expect it to have merit

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I think Peedy is an enormous asset to the team and worth every cent we're going to pay him.

I'm really happy that Ells is in pinstripes. No way he is worth that kind of money, with or without making any adjustments for injury time. I just think it's even more obvious when you try to develope some kind of factor for playing time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Now we have to see what Ben does. Does he go Theo, and tries to counter (or forced), to sign Big names. Or does he stay the course and goes for value, for ballplayers that play good fundemental baseball, with a good attitude? Keep the Picks, and Farm intact......We will see.

Any contract in Baseball today 4 years or more is stupid.

Sections
Shortcuts