Ellsbury come back player of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Ellsbury come back player of the year?

In Response to Re: Ellsbury come back player of the year?:
    [QUOTE] He avoids errors by playing almost 400 feet deep and playing what are outs for most CF'ers on a big hop (see 2009 ALDS)
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

-20 points for lack of basic baseball knowledge. 

He plays where his coaches position him.

-Daf. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wrong, he moves back from where his coaches tell him. Every baseball manager will, from time to time, direct OF'ers to move in, side to side or back. Bellsbury is always creeping deeper and deeper and would need a string to put him the right place. He plays the position scared, and for good reason.

-100 points for lack of any baseball knowledge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if he plays deep because the coaches told him to, why didn't they tell Coco to play so deep?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Good question, and I have the answer. Because the coaches don't tell him to play that deep. Coco would move in, from where the coaches would position him. He has high mileage and a long career on him now, but in 2007, he played the position without any fear. Ellsbury plays almost 400 feet with fear that the ball will get over his head. He has reason to fear that happening.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Why was Jack Nicklaus a greater golfer than Jim Dent? Because athletics is about more than strength and speed, per se, it's about depth perception, poise and other talents that cannot be taught.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Because Coco got exceptional reads. No argument that in 2007 Crisp played some of the best defensive baseball ever played in CF in Fenway Park. So what? Crisp is gone because Ellsbury could provide more offense at a fraction of the salary.

There is all this fret about having Ellsbury play his position to mitigate double/triples. Why? Singles are paper cuts and extra bases are gashes. If you are going to have an Of cheat tell me which you'd prefer? Cameron whether it was because of his hernia or not found out in a hurry just what happens in the triangle when the ball gets over your head early into 2010. 

Heck, Pedey chases too many high pitches because he hits a lot of them, Youk has little mobility to his right, Beckett does not get enough bite on his curve too often, Drew would throw his bat at a man on thrid as he singled just insure his RBI total stays low, Varitek can't throw runners out, A-Gon is slow.... nobody will ever replace Bill Hall (j/k).

The kid is not a liability in CF. The Ellsbury debates remind of a buch of ordinary looking women sitting around finding things wrong with Gissele.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

He is a liability as a defensive CF'er, "in CF". A lot of words, a lot of sarcasm, and low substance. The issue isn't about whether Crisp should have traded to get a younger player with lower MLB mileage and cheaper cost. So give that up, would you, 5K.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

The Red Sox come back player of the year in 2011 is unquestionably Josh Beckett.  He was one of the worst and least effective starting pitchers in the AL last year and as of today is one of the best.  There's no comparison between mssing most of the year due to injury and having a similar season to one in which he played.  He is what he is when he plays and that's a pretty good ballplayer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]He is a liability as a defensive CF'er, "in CF". A lot of words, a lot of sarcasm, and low substance. The issue isn't about whether Crisp should have traded to get a younger player with lower MLB mileage and cheaper cost. So give that up, would you, 5K.

Hey Softy, Ellbury got it all started, AGAIN!  Must suk for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury come back player of the year? : Hey Softy, Ellbury got it all started, AGAIN!  Must suk for you.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]Leading off the game this year: .326/.383/.473 for a .871 OPS. Pretty decent lead-off man I'd say.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]Good question, and I have the answer. Because the coaches don't tell him to play that deep. Coco would move in, from where the coaches would position him. He has high mileage and a long career on him now, but in 2007, he played the position without any fear. Ellsbury plays almost 400 feet with fear that the ball will get over his head. He has reason to fear that happening.
    I am certain that the Red Sox coaching staff has never noticed this problem and brought it up with Ellsbury. Because it isn't an issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells may not get the best reads on balls..Thats not a secret..But to only have 2 errors since entering the big leagues tells me that his speed and athleticism makes up for his deficiencies..Ill take that trade off when you add everything else he brings to the table. His defense has been far from a liability IMO...Did Jacoby and Jed kill your puppy or something softy? I mean, for a couple of guys who are producing this year for under 3mil this year, you sure have a ton of hatred towards them..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's doing great!

He's just now reaching his prime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Bartolo Colon.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]
    The stem cells could hurt him in mind of the voter, since MLB is still deciding on what there policy is on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hey, betterdead (nee softlaw), tell us again about that reverse pivot you dislike--you know, the one that Jake just used to absolutely the hammer the ball down the right field line. 

You keep throwing these phony baloney opinions out there in hopes one of them will stick, but they just don't. 

It is obvious to the rest of us that you develop prejudices, make your bad calls, and stick to them regardless of what is actually happening. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It is true they do not give awards for how a player is doing on June 8th.  Buster Posey did not secure the ROY last year after 36 at-bats.

However, if I had to guess the Comeback Player candidates as it stands today, I would think Bartolo Colon and Grady Sizemore in the AL and Lance Berkman and Ryan Vogelsong in the NL...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The only AL all star starters will all be Yankees is we look at the voting. The Yank players are way ahead. I've voted 25 times. Crank it up guys!

Ellsbury has a shot. He was around 5th last I looked. He deserves it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=dd631d3ce63e35c4337446049e684876&plckUserId=dd631d3ce63e35c4337446049e684876">
    First: 6/7/2011
    Last: 6/9/2011
    He is a liability as a defensive CF'er, "in CF". A lot of words, a lot of sarcasm, and low substance. The issue isn't about whether Crisp should have traded to get a younger player with lower MLB mileage and cheaper cost. So give that up, would you, 5K.

SO I SEE SOFTY IS HIDING UNDER ANOTHER NAME AGAIN!

TOOL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ellsbury come back player of the year?:
    [QUOTE]I think he has a shot. He is going to hit 15 hr, steal 50+ base, 300, 360 OBP pretty good for a guy missing a whole season.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I actually can't wait for the Sox games to begin this season because Jacoby is turning out "as many expected" to be Johnny Damons twin.  A tough player who gets on base, has a little power and can get into postion to score.  Jacoby may make a few mistakes and still SO a bit too much, butI'm glad he is back and healthy.

If the rest our team can follow suit and we land some pitching help this could be our year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I am considering going on a rampage, and doing whatever it is needed to be done to get myself banned. I am so sick seeing that clowns red's GM caliber opinions in every topic. It's all useless garbage, he's like the little league coach that know's nothing, zilch, zero about baseball... The moron needs to be banned for having no baseball knowledge. Or the fact that he's an egotistical prickk that knows sweet F all. I mean give it up, ELLSBURY is a great lead off man, he's playing great baseball, and because his offence is so well right now you have to start bashing him about his defence ? When his bat cools down let me guess, back to him not being able to hit a beach ball. And there wont be a word mentioned about his Defence. We get it, you don't like the guy. Thats all you had to say once, but to continue to go on and on...Just shows you need to grow up you douchbag. 
    Posted by f1502nv[/QUOTE]

Don't let the guy get under your skin!  Everyone sees him for what he is..........
    Most notably, WRONG!  I think this site would be a little bit boring if everyone felt the same way.  bettered, GM, SoldRed, Softy, et. al. are great foils.........
    TOOLS! if you don't mind??  :)   :)

The only thing that does actually bother me about the guy, is when he starts the race baiting combined with his perversely juxtaposed moralizing.  One would think that a self anointed moral paragon would understand that moralizing & race baiting are (or should be) mutually exclusive.  He is also too slow to realize that hatred & demagoguery are completely mutually exclusive with PREACHING about Christian values, morals, & standards.  This is not standing up for the "WORD," it's defecating on it!  Such a prideful narcissist is incapable of understanding the very thing he pretends to build his life on.....   Sad actually!

Why doesn't he get it???  He's constructed a comfortable little narcissistic alternate universe where the Christian Values he espouses don't apply to him.  They only apply to those he finds easy to judge.  Sin that he gets because they are uncomplicated & clearly don't apply to him.  If he were ever to read & internalize the MOUNTAIN of biblical condemnation of the "sin of pride," his fatal flaw, his little head might explode.  He is like far too many self imposed moral & biblical arbiters, who focus on the "sins" of others, but never acknowledge their own. 

So soldRed / bettered.......  You might want to have a look at that plank in your eye!  Not only has it obstructed your vision, but it seems to have gone all the way to the brain stem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The only AL all star starters will all be Yankees is we look at the voting. The Yank players are way ahead. I've voted 25 times. Crank it up guys! http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2011/ballot.jsp?tcid=hpMW-asgballot-2011 Ellsbury has a shot. He was around 5th last I looked. He deserves it!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link boom.  too lazy to get there on my own.  I just rocked 25.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

The Yanks can flat out not get Ellsbury out.  Softy wants to continue to whine about him.  Great.  But Ellsbury has been the straw that stirs the drink.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The Yanks can flat out not get Ellsbury out.  Softy wants to continue to whine about him.  Great.  But Ellsbury has been the straw that stirs the drink.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

I hope Softy continues to whine about him.  As if it weren't evident before, his witch hunt now shows him for the nut-job that he is, and everyday he just looks crazier.  he is now reduced to  "Ellsbury plays too deep and pulls up on catchable balls".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bartolo Colon should get New Designer Enhancer Druggie of The Year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

suddenly he's back to throwing 98 mph fastballs...really now. And no one in the media wants to touch this subject.