Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion

From WEEI.com:

Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Monday's game for a defensive replacement prior to the top of the eighth inning due to a left knee contusion. Prior to leaving, he'd gone 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games.

The injury occurred when Ellsbury slid home safely (just in front of Dustin Pedroia) on a bases-clearing double by Adrian Gonzalez in the bottom of the seventh. Ellsbury's leg bumped into the shin guard of Angels catcher Jeff Mathis, resulting in a bruise that has Ellsbury's availability on Tuesday against the Angels in question.

Manager Terry Francona described his center fielder as "a little sore. He bumped his knee on that play at the plate. Bumped the inside of his knee. He’s real stable and everything. Just has kind of a bruise on the inside of his knee. ... With a bruise like that, we’ll see how he wakes up."

Ellsbury is hitting .383 during his current hitting streak. He has scored 10 runs in nine games since returning to the leadoff spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion

I hope he heals quickly.  

As quickly as he can run the bases.  :on  That wasn't that funny ... but I had to ....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury has been one of their best players of late. Hope he wakes up feeling good enough to play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

Day-to-day, aren't we all?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

O my gosh, a bruise! I think he should go on the DL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion:
    [QUOTE]O my gosh, a bruise! I think he should go on the DL.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
     Please.  An easy beat on a dead horse that is soooo last year.  No day off for a knee contusion?  Ever have one of those?  If you have, you might have noticed that it probably takes at least a day or two for the swelling to go down enough to walk properly, never mind play baseball.  He is not on the DL.  Tito, like any rational person would, is sitting him until he can play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion :  Please.  An easy beat on a dead horse that is soooo last year.  No day off for a knee contusion?  Ever have one of those?  If you have, you might have noticed that it probably takes at least a day or two for the swelling to go down enough to walk properly, never mind play baseball.  He is not on the DL.  Tito, like any rational person would, is sitting him until he can play.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Evidently, no one ever gets a valid injury in Alibiike's world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Anyone who quotes Bob Veale is suspect. 

Francona is cautious about injuries, as he should be. 

The upside of Ellsbury missing a game or two is that it will give Cameron or McDonald a couple of games.  They don't contribute that much on offense (Cameron's two recent dingers notwithstanding), but they are backups who could use a start or two if only for their morale. Of course, Drew does his best to give them playing time by not being able to hit lefties. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who quotes Bob Veale is suspect.  Francona is cautious about injuries, as he should be.  The upside of Ellsbury missing a game or two is that it will give Cameron or McDonald a couple of games.  They don't contribute that much on offense (Cameron's two recent dingers notwithstanding), but they are backups who could use a start or two if only for their morale. Of course, Drew does his best to give them playing time by not being able to hit lefties. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Max - Just to avoid generalized piling on of a fellow Seminole:

Drew vs. lefties 2011:  .300 BA, .364 OBP, .550 slugging, .914 OPS

I concede that he has been trending in recent years toward a platoon vs. lefties situation.  But, thus far, he has been far from needs-to-be-sat-vs.-southpaws.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Maybe I am missing something but here's what I have been able to interpet so far:

Jacoby Ellsbury bruised his knee in a collision at home plate.

Having a big lead Francona pulled the player as a precaution.

The medical team determined that there is no ligament damage and that the knee is structurally sound.

Francona said they would see today just how much swelling the knee will have over night and then see if Ellsbury can play today without impaired movement or if a days rest will be in order.

It is great that so many people pay attention to this team but isn't this a bit over the top?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe I am missing something but here's what I have been able to interpet so far: Jacoby Ellsbury bruised his knee in a collision at home plate. Having a big lead Francona pulled the player as a precaution. The medical team determined that there is no ligament damage and that the knee is structurally sound. Francona said they would see today just how much swelling the knee will have over night and then see if Ellsbury can play today without impaired movement or if a days rest will be in order. It is great that so many people pay attention to this team but isn't this a bit over the top?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think if Ells were still batting .230 no one would bat an eye and a few would want him on the DL.
    Now that he's hitting, fans would hate to see him out of the lineup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe I am missing something but here's what I have been able to interpet so far: Jacoby Ellsbury bruised his knee in a collision at home plate. Having a big lead Francona pulled the player as a precaution. The medical team determined that there is no ligament damage and that the knee is structurally sound. Francona said they would see today just how much swelling the knee will have over night and then see if Ellsbury can play today without impaired movement or if a days rest will be in order. It is great that so many people pay attention to this team but isn't this a bit over the top?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I posted the article because I thought some people might be interested in how he's doing and to let them know that it doesn't look like a serious long term problem

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion : I posted the article because I thought some people might be interested in how he's doing and to let them know that it doesn't look like a serious long term problem
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]For the record I have no issue with the OP and appreciated the update. It is some of the reactions it generated that I think are over the top.

What Francona said is exactly what Doc Rivers would have said if it had been a Celtic player with the same injury IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

spaceman, a very good point.  You're right.  This year Drew has been great against lefties.  Of course, there were at least 4 games he didn't start because they were against very good lefties.  In other words, I'm going by what I see Francona do.  He consistently starts Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and Ortiz against lefties, but not Drew.  That said, however--and this is to your point--Drew has played in 24 of 28 games to date.   His overall OPS to date, it should be noted, is .707, well below his career OPS of .883.  He was under .800 last year too.  I think he is suspect, but grant you your point.  He has hit lefties well this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]spaceman, a very good point.  You're right.  This year Drew has been great against lefties.  Of course, there were at least 4 games he didn't start because they were against very good lefties.  In other words, I'm going by what I see Francona do.  He consistently starts Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and Ortiz against lefties, but not Drew.  That said, however--and this is to your point--Drew has played in 24 of 28 games to date.   His overall OPS to date, it should be noted, is .707, well below his career OPS of .883.  He was under .800 last year too.  I think he is suspect, but grant you your point.  He has hit lefties well this year. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]Francona has used LH match-ups to give Drew days off since he got here in 2007. It certainly helps his splits that he is matched up selectively as a RS. 2010 there were so many injuries that it forced Tito to use Drew against more LH and the results weren't good.

The guy whose career splits versus LH that scare me is Crawford because it will take a lot of guts to platoon that guy, even part time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

About 3 months at API should get him back in top shape. He needs to make sure that he and Scott pay for their own additional anterior, lateral, posterior and cross tri-lateral scans to make sure the Red Sox medical staff doesn't commit malpractice on him again. I wonder if Scott has settled the damages element of that old claim?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]About 3 months at API should get him back in top shape. He needs to make sure that he and Scott pay for their own additional anterior, lateral, posterior and cross tri-lateral scans to make sure the Red Sox medical staff doesn't commit malpractice on him again. I wonder if Scott has settled the damages element of that old claim?
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble; Ellsbury's in tonights lineup.

RED SOX (13-15)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Drew RF
    Lowrie SS
    Crawford LF
    Saltalamacchia C

Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (3-1, 2.52)

ANGELS (16-13)
    TBA

Pitching: RHP Dan Haren (4-1, 1.23)

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Most outsiders agree the Sox butchered Ellsbury's diagnosis last year. 

The knee contusion is real, not imaginary.  Fortunately, it appears that it's not bad enough to keep him out of the lineup.  

And, of course, Francona, being totally unaware of BaseballGM's far greater insight into the Sox players, wants Ellsbury in the lineup because his bat is hot (or semi-hot, anyway). 

Ellsbury is one of three guys whose absence hurt the Sox last year.  If he had repeated his 2009 stats, I think the Sox could have been in the playoffs, even without Pedroia and Youk. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

awww, Ells is starting?  Aw man, just when I was getting into all these hilariously clever potshots about last year's injury situation.  Darn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Most outsiders agree the Sox butchered Ellsbury's diagnosis last year

Who annointed you the pollster? I doubt "most outsiders agree" that the Sox "butchered" Ellsbury's diagnosis. Tell us what that diagnosis butchery was?

Without the great Ellsbury, the Red Sox lead the AL in OPS. Oh well, your claim sounded good.

The Red Sox didn't make the playoffs because they had only 2 decent starting pitchers and lost Youk and Pedroia for the last stretch of the season. End of story, Ellsbury PR man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Most outsiders agree the Sox butchered Ellsbury's diagnosis last year Who annointed you the pollster? I doubt "most outsiders agree" that the Sox "butchered" Ellsbury's diagnosis. Tell us what that diagnosis butchery was? Without the great Ellsbury, the Red Sox lead the AL in OPS. Oh well, your claim sounded good. The Red Sox didn't make the playoffs because they had only 2 decent starting pitchers and lost Youk and Pedroia for the last stretch of the season. End of story, Ellsbury PR man.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Some very good points.  I generally agree that the horrible pitching and the absence of two vital players were the reason for the 89 wins.  In fact, those conditions are a strong case for how well Francona managed last year. 

But I too was aware that the Sox led the AL in OPS, and that's my point.  We didn't score runs commensurate with that OPS.  If we had, we would have won more games, and I think a healthy Ellsbury would have scored more runs than anyone who subbed for him.  It's a stretch, I agree, but I think it also helps to explain why the Sox right now are starting two speed merchants.  Terry Francona ain't Earl Weaver, who believed in good pitching and the 3-run dinger--and not much else.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

We agree that Tito isn't as good as Weaver, a conclusion that can't be proven.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbev97. Show kbev97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury day to day with knee contusion : Some very good points.  I generally agree that the horrible pitching and the absence of two vital players were the reason for the 89 wins.  In fact, those conditions are a strong case for how well Francona managed last year.  But I too was aware that the Sox led the AL in OPS, and that's my point.  We didn't score runs commensurate with that OPS.  If we had, we would have won more games, and I think a healthy Ellsbury would have scored more runs than anyone who subbed for him.  It's a stretch, I agree, but I think it also helps to explain why the Sox right now are starting two speed merchants.  Terry Francona ain't Earl Weaver, who believed in good pitching and the 3-run dinger--and not much else.   
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Nineteen on the DL list.
    Core players on it for 2-3 months.
    Below expected results from Lackey
    Terrible year from Beckett
    Blown saves by Papelbon and Bard.
    It was all discussed and covered in full on this forum and in the media.
    Why beat a dead horse?