Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes

Alarming news re Ellsbury : Farrell said foot injury is more than day to day thing Going to Denver for 2d opinion

Here we go again with Ellsbreaky. The bottom line, regardless of HOW he gets injured, is that he DOES spend a lot of time missing games from year to year. That will need to be addressed when a contract offer is made IMO. I cannot think of another Red Sox position player who has been on the team as long as Ellsbury has who has missed as many games. We are going to need him in the playoffs, and it now seems he may not be there for the team. Again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Of course Ells is going to get a 2nd opinion being a month or 2 away from being a FA. Makes me wonder what the Sox Med. staff diagnosis was. The Sox will have to play JBJ and Berry until we find out how long Ells is out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

He fouled a ball off his foot. pedey did the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sounds like there could be a stress fracture. Not good news at this time.

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hopefully it's not a broken bone but if it is next man up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

If it is, we could have Ells for one more year at 14M

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

They need to do a bone scan or an MRI. They probably should have done it about a week ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

They need to do a bone scan or an MRI. They probably should have done it about a week ago.

As I recall, he fouled a ball off his foot Thursday night and then after reaching, stole second, then scored the winning run. Which probably aggravated the injury and led to his taking last night off...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

As I recall, he fouled a ball off his foot Thursday night and then after reaching, stole second, then scored the winning run. Which probably aggravated the injury and led to his taking last night off...

I think you are right. This injury sounds to me like a navicular fracture ( I think Pedey had the same injury a couple of years ago). I believe that injury may not show up on initial XRays and an MRI is really needed to diagnose it. Even if the MRI had been done a week ago (as I think it should have) a navicular fracture would likely end his season.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

If it is, we could have Ells for one more year at 14M

That would be an absolute win for the Sox. It is absolutely ridiculous for pg to come on here and start hammering away on Els for getting injured by fouling a ball off his foot. But then again he is the classic glass half -empty guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

With all due respect, neither of us knows how much weight GMs will place on his games missed due to injury. Your opinion is that it won't matter a bit; my opinion is that they WILL consider it and any contract offer will take it into consideration. I certainly would. Its just cold hard business.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Of course I dont know exactly what GM's are thinking. My point was that I dont believe they will look at him like they do real "injury prone"players who are always on the DL for little nagging injuries. Guys who always pull something running out a GB, or just throwing a ball, or swinging a bat. I also know of a few that I can honestly say will NOT look at him as how I described "injury prone" to be. I cant for sure say how every one of them is viewing him, I apologize for implying that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells is out indefinately with injury to the navicular bone in his right foot.

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam 

Cherington on Ellsbury: "My understanding is there’s not a long-term concern here. It’s how do we manage it over the next several weeks."

Tim Britton @TimBritton

Like Farrell, Cherington emphasized how much Ellsbury wants to play through this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Of course I dont know exactly what GM's are thinking. My point was that I dont believe they will look at him like they do real "injury prone"players who are always on the DL for little nagging injuries. Guys who always pull something running out a GB, or just throwing a ball, or swinging a bat. I also know of a few that I can honestly say will NOT look at him as how I described "injury prone" to be. I cant for sure say how every one of them is viewing him, I apologize for implying that.

Another broken bone for Ellsbury. How many broken ribs? Four? People differ in how prone they are to broken bones. The amount of force needed to break my bones may be more or less than the amount of force needed to break the same bone in another similarly constructed individual. What is clear to me is that Ellsbury's bones, for whatever reason, are more prone to fracture than some other people. I think that GMs will look at that with concern come contract time. I certainly would.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ells is out indefinately with injury to the navicular bone in his right foot.

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam 

Cherington on Ellsbury: "My understanding is there’s not a long-term concern here. It’s how do we manage it over the next several weeks."

Tim Britton @TimBritton

Like Farrell, Cherington emphasized how much Ellsbury wants to play through this.

Injury? Wonder if that means fracture. That word has not been used-yet. I am not sure Ellsbury is going to be able to play through this if its really broken. His game requires speed; without it, he becomes very ordinary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you did you'd see the injuries are from playing hard. Broken ribs came from running into Beltre running full out and in for a pop up. Re hurt divining for a pop up. Dislocated shoulder due to SS landing on him as he slid into 2nd. Foul ball off his foot. Understanding the injuries can give you insight that they were not injuries that any amount of conditioning or any other thing could have stopped. The only thing that could eliminate his injuries would have not been HUSTLING as HARD as he did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The navicular plays an important role in maintaining the medial longitudinal arch of the foot. Commonly, fractures of the navicular are not evident on plain radiographs. This often leads to a delay in diagnosis, which may result in prolonged disabling foot pain in individuals, particularly young athletes. The 4 types of navicular fractures are (1) cortical avulsion, (2) tuberosity, (3) body, and (4) stress.[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Cortical and tuberosity avulsion fractures

Avulsion fracture, the most common fracture of the navicular, is often associated with ligamentous injuries and results from twisting forces on the mid foot. These fractures are commonly treated conservatively, except for avulsion of the posterior tibial tendon insertion (tuberosity fracture), which may be repaired operatively, especially if a proximal dislocation of 1 cm or more is present. An avulsion of the posterior tibial tendon insertion must be differentiated from an accessory navicular (see Other Problems to Be Considered).

Fractures of the navicular body

Fractures of the body are commonly associated with other injuries of the midtarsal joint. Sangeorzan et al categorized navicular body fractures into 3 types, as follows[6] :

• Type 1 is a coronal fracture with no dislocation.
    • Type 2 is a dorsolateral to plantomedial fracture with medial forefoot displacement.
    • Type 3 is a comminuted fracture with lateral forefoot displacement and carries the worst prognosis.

All navicular body fractures with 1 mm or more of displacement require open reduction and internal fixation.

Stress fractures

The rest of this article primarily discusses the diagnosis and treatment of navicular stress fractures, which are usually sports-related injuries.

In 1855, Brehaulpt first described stress fractures in military recruits who were subjected to long marches. As more civilians took up physically demanding sports, the incidence of stress fractures has increased in the general population. Towne et al first described stress fracture of the tarsal navicular in 1970.[7]

In athletes, navicular stress fractures are of particular concern because they are underdiagnosed and can lead to significant disability if the diagnosis is delayed.[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8] In a study by Torg et al in 1982, the average time between the fracture and diagnosis was estimated to be 7 months.[9] Given the significant improvement in outcome with early diagnosis and proper treatment, navicular stress fractures should be considered in any athlete with midfoot pain. In a 2006 study by Saxena and Fullem, navicular stress fractures took up to 4 months to heal posttreatment.[10]

Fracture-dislocation of the navicular may occur in athletes.[11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18] This uncommon injury generally requires reduction and examination for stability via fluoroscopy, with the patient under general anesthesia. If the postreduction examination findings confirm stability of the navicular, treatment with a non–weight-bearing cast may be sufficient; otherwise, internal fixation is required.

For excellent patient education resources, visit eMedicineHealth's First Aid and Injuries Center. Also, see eMedicineHealth's patient education articles Broken Foot and Cast Care.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Jacoy Ellsbury had 2 freak injuries, and those two aside he has been very durable.

If he does miss time with this injury it will be a more normal, or more common injury.  I consider guys who are often injured from the wears and tears of playing everyday as injury prone. E.G. Pulled hamstring, torn meniscus, strained ligament in the elbow knee etc etc, herniated disk or a sports hernia and so forth.

Getting kneed in the ribs by a guy running full speed at you and a have a man landing awkwardly on you dislocating your shoulders are not normal injuries that occur from going through the motions of throwing a baseball, running the bases, swinging a bat, sliding into home, jumping against the wall and so forth. This would be the first time Ellsbury has ever sustained an injury due to going through a baseball motion (swinging the bat, which can even be considered somewhat freakish because it wasn't the act of swinging it was the foul) Ellsburys injuries were random and freak.  He didn't get I injured from playing baseball, rather he happened to sustain a freak injury while playing baseball.  See the difference?

FWIW Pedroia couldn't play when he hurt the same bone while Ellsbury has gone 4-10 since and been just as disruptive on the base paths.  And he wants to be on the field now.  I can only draw two conclusions from this:

1. Either Ellsbury is tougher than Pedroia

Or

2.  The injury is not as significant as pedroias and he will likely not miss more than a few days to a week.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you did you'd see the injuries are from playing hard. Broken ribs came from running into Beltre running full out and in for a pop up. Re hurt divining for a pop up. Dislocated shoulder due to SS landing on him as he slid into 2nd. Foul ball off his foot. Understanding the injuries can give you insight that they were not injuries that any amount of conditioning or any other thing could have stopped. The only thing that could eliminate his injuries would have not been HUSTLING as HARD as he did.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury has tried to play through some of his injuries. he did with the ribs, then hurt them more. Besides divingfor a ball Jim, remember when pitcher Tommy Hunter (6'4 240LBS) was on the Rangers and they collided both trying to get to 1b? That resulted in a total of 5 broken ribs between that and the Beltre collision.

The sublexion is a tough one since so many tendons and ligaments are involved. That takes time. Mine still hurts from time to time after injuring it in february. Proper rehab as well.

Fould ball off foot. Just like Pedey did and varitek during the same series in SF. He played 2 games after hurting it and aggrivated it sliding into 2nd on a steal attempt. Hes still wanting to play through it, but HAS to get it checked out to confirm the problem before he does that.

These arent "normal" injuries that worry GM's too much and habve NOTHING to do with conditioning. They are just freak things that can happen when you play all out like Ells has.

Sections
Shortcuts