Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

The fact is that Ellsbury has played in 90+% of all possible games other than the years when the two freak injuries occurred when he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I suggest that he's no more "injury prone" than any other player who picks up occasional bumps, bruises and strains.

Ellsbury did not call off Beltre, which caused the collision. It was not freaky bad luck. He caused his own in jury to happen. This year, he did it again, but avoided a bad collision.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

Most, if not all previous responses are on top of this...  The single bottom line is this guy never seems to play a full year and therefore, to hand him a big money contract really means the organization is paying even more than the contract states. 

Second opinion in Horseshoe, Colorado - I always thought Boston and Massachusetts was renowned for having some of the best doctors and hospitals in the WORLD!!

Is that you, SOFTY  ?????

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The fact is that Ellsbury has played in 90+% of all possible games other than the years when the two freak injuries occurred when he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I suggest that he's no more "injury prone" than any other player who picks up occasional bumps, bruises and strains.

Ellsbury did not call off Beltre, which caused the collision. It was not freaky bad luck. He caused his own in jury to happen. This year, he did it again, but avoided a bad collision.

Sox4ever

Possibly, but you cant really blame him for the Reed Brignac incident. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox4ever

One could also say that he is at least partially at fault for his current injury. He is on the same team as Pedroia, who also fractured his navicular bone, and saw first hand the results of not wearing sufficient protective gear to prevent that kind of injury. The bottom line is that he does miss a lot of time due to injury, and part of that is either his fault or his makeup. I do not want the Red Sox to assume responsibility for future injuries-let HIM do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

He fouled a ball off his foot. pedey did the same thing.

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

With all due respect, neither of us knows how much weight GMs will place on his games missed due to injury. Your opinion is that it won't matter a bit; my opinion is that they WILL consider it and any contract offer will take it into consideration. I certainly would. Its just cold hard business.

With no due respect (which is what you show the players on the team you supposedly root for), any blowhard can have an opinion.  Southpaw's opinion with regard to baseball matters is valued much more highly than yours.

I also respect Southpaw. You, on the other hand, deserve none whatsoever. Frankly, I could not care less what you think-about anything. Your level of baseball knowledge compared to many here is like comparing an amoeba to a fan. You should restrict your comments to board that cater to toddlers.

So says the cleaver creator of the coinage "Breakholz" and "Ellsbreaky", who prognosticated doom and gloom for more than half a season, and now, somewhat tentatively, is trying to catch a ride aboard the Red Sox bandwagon.

Another dolt chimes in. I have been a Red Sox fan since you were a zygote. Don't bother responding: I will be ignoring you again, just as I have been doing for a long long time. I do not pay much attention to the more ignorant posters here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Sox4ever

Possibly, but you cant really blame him for the Reed Brignac incident. 

Its possible that there is something about the way his bones and connective tissue are put together that make them more prone to injury, just as, unfortunately, the way Napoli's lack of blood supply to his hips make him more prone to fractures and arthritis in that area. If that is something that plagues Ellsbury I am sorry for him, but I do not think the team should bear the responsibility for future injuries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

With all due respect, neither of us knows how much weight GMs will place on his games missed due to injury. Your opinion is that it won't matter a bit; my opinion is that they WILL consider it and any contract offer will take it into consideration. I certainly would. Its just cold hard business.

With no due respect (which is what you show the players on the team you supposedly root for), any blowhard can have an opinion.  Southpaw's opinion with regard to baseball matters is valued much more highly than yours.

I also respect Southpaw. You, on the other hand, deserve none whatsoever. Frankly, I could not care less what you think-about anything. Your level of baseball knowledge compared to many here is like comparing an amoeba to a fan. You should restrict your comments to board that cater to toddlers.

So says the cleaver creator of the coinage "Breakholz" and "Ellsbreaky", who prognosticated doom and gloom for more than half a season, and now, somewhat tentatively, is trying to catch a ride aboard the Red Sox bandwagon.

Another dolt chimes in. I have been a Red Sox fan since you were a zygote. Don't bother responding: I will be ignoring you again, just as I have been doing for a long long time. I do not pay much attention to the more ignorant posters here.

[/QUOTE]

But you keep responding to me.  

Admit it, Pumpsie.  You love it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Burrito is a chronic blowhard and is being ignored. I will respond to you when you can learn to behave yourself here. If you attack me here I will choose to either respond in kind or just ignore your nonsense. For now, consider yourself ignored.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

Burrito is a chronic blowhard and is being ignored. I will respond to you when you can learn to behave yourself here. If you attack me here I will choose to either respond in kind or just ignore your nonsense. For now, consider yourself ignored.

[/QUOTE]

Oh well, then.  I'll just post about you behind your back, but I'm certain you won't be able to resist peeking in now and again just for the privilege of gleaning my three year-old baseball acumen.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Exactly. Someone who has a better bone structure, someone who looks before he leaps..who knows where the fault lies with him. I am more concerned about the bottom line, and it is this: Jacoby Ellsbury tends to get injured and miss a lot of games, and thats a fact that is not debateable. For that reason his contract offer should take that into consideration. I would offer him no more than four years at $14M per year, perhaps with incentives so he can earn more based on time missed due to injury of any kind. Some dumb GM is likely going to take a leap of faith and give him a lot more. I just hope its not Cherington...I don't think it will be. He seems smarter than that. Buchholz is in the same category: too much time missed due to injury. His contract offer, when it comes due, will also need to address that issue.

[/QUOTE]

Again, I'd be interested in knowing how much you think he WILL get in dollars. Not how much you'd give him or how much you think he's worth, but how much you think he will get. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Sox4ever

C'mon.  This is hindsight and second guessing.  The ball was hit into an area where two players may have gotten to it but neither was sure they could.  Rather than risk the ball dropping in they both went after it without calling the other off.  Ellsbury THEN had the misfortune to be landed on.  The "perfect storm".  He hardly "caused his own accident to happen" unless one was looking to establish blame.

Blaming Ellsbury for that injury makes as much sense as blaming him for his separated shoulder in the incident with Brignac by saying that he shouldn't have been trying to break up the double-play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

While Ellsbury is an important piece of this team, Sox can still win a 5-game or 7-game series without him this year.

Best for Ellsbury to heal and get ready for 2014.

I would hope Sox can re-sign him.  They have the money.  He is an exciting player at his peak.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Exactly. Someone who has a better bone structure, someone who looks before he leaps..who knows where the fault lies with him. I am more concerned about the bottom line, and it is this: Jacoby Ellsbury tends to get injured and miss a lot of games, and thats a fact that is not debateable. For that reason his contract offer should take that into consideration. I would offer him no more than four years at $14M per year, perhaps with incentives so he can earn more based on time missed due to injury of any kind. Some dumb GM is likely going to take a leap of faith and give him a lot more.I just hope its not Cherington...I don't think it will be. He seems smarter than that. Buchholz is in the same category: too much time missed due to injury. His contract offer, when it comes due, will also need to address that issue.

Again, I'd be interested in knowing how much you think he WILL get in dollars. Not how much you'd give him or how much you think he's worth, but how much you think he will get. 

[/QUOTE]

I think some GM will give him about $17-18M for five years. Longer contracts are becoming suspect, even for the most foolish GMs, given how some of them have worked out. I don't mind paying him that much if he earns it through incentives, but guaranteeing that to him is, IMO, foolish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:

While Ellsbury is an important piece of this team, Sox can still win a 5-game or 7-game series without him this year.

Best for Ellsbury to heal and get ready for 2014.

I would hope Sox can re-sign him.  They have the money.  He is an exciting player at his peak.

He is going to be a huge loss, make no mistake about it, if he cannot play through whatever it is he has. So far I have not seen that he has been officially diagnosed with a fracture. If he is, it will more than likely mean the end of his season since the initial treatment for navicular fractures is being put in a non weightbearing cast for six weeks and if that doesn't work, surgery is considered. I don't think he could play through it without jeopardizing his career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

C'mon.  This is hindsight and second guessing.  The ball was hit into an area where two players may have gotten to it but neither was sure they could.  Rather than risk the ball dropping in they both went after it without calling the other off.  Ellsbury THEN had the misfortune to be landed on.  The "perfect storm".  He hardly "caused his own accident to happen" unless one was looking to establish blame.

Blaming Ellsbury for that injury makes as much sense as blaming him for his separated shoulder in the incident with Brignac by saying that he shouldn't have been trying to break up the double-play.

[/QUOTE]

The ball was Ellsbury's. He never called off Beltre.

I'm usually not one to assign blame on one player, but I had to respond to those who say none of his injuries were his own fault, or that it has all been just some freaky bad luck storm that has engulfed Jacoby.

Some even blamed Beltre.

Some blamed Theo for moving Ellsbury to LF.

The fact is, I hardly ever see Ellsbury call off anyone when it is clearly his ball. One could argue that he's lucky he hasn't gotten hurt more often.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think some GM will give him about $17-18M for five years. Longer contracts are becoming suspect, even for the most foolish GMs, given how some of them have worked out. I don't mind paying him that much if he earns it through incentives, but guaranteeing that to him is, IMO, foolish.

I'm not sure all GMs have learned that lesson.

I do think the injuries will scare some GMs away, but I have to think someone will offer at least $90M/5.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I do think the injuries will scare some GMs away, but I have to think someone will offer at least $90M/5.

Sox4ever

I am not sure any GM can afford that. The usual suspects with large bankrolls are probably not in a position to offer that kind of money. The Yankees are committed to getting under the luxury tax (so they claim); the Dodgers are also highly stretched from a dollar standpoint-and they really don't need a CF. Where would he be able to sign for that kind of money? Who needs a CF badly enough to give him that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I am not sure any GM can afford that. The usual suspects with large bankrolls are probably not in a position to offer that kind of money. The Yankees are committed to getting under the luxury tax (so they claim); the Dodgers are also highly stretched from a dollar standpoint-and they really don't need a CF. Where would he be able to sign for that kind of money? Who needs a CF badly enough to give him that?

[/QUOTE]

1) The Yanks lose a lot of payroll, including Granderson.

2) The Giants may make a splash to try and get back in the hunt.

3) Baltimore, STL, Texas, Mets, Cubs, Toronto, Seattle, even someone like Cincy, KC or Washington might make a surprise run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Lets hope for the best on this injury.  It sounds like the Sox are making sure this injury is not serious but are trying to get to the bottom of it.  No fracture has been diagnosed so that is good news so far.  A second opinion should help diagnose the injury.  It sounds like this injury has been going on for a while and Ells has been trying to play through it.  Meanwhile the Sox keep rolling.  Its been an amazing season so far, hopefully it will continue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Exactly. Someone who has a better bone structure, someone who looks before he leaps..who knows where the fault lies with him. I am more concerned about the bottom line, and it is this: Jacoby Ellsbury tends to get injured and miss a lot of games, and thats a fact that is not debateable. For that reason his contract offer should take that into consideration. I would offer him no more than four years at $14M per year, perhaps with incentives so he can earn more based on time missed due to injury of any kind. Some dumb GM is likely going to take a leap of faith and give him a lot more.I just hope its not Cherington...I don't think it will be. He seems smarter than that. Buchholz is in the same category: too much time missed due to injury. His contract offer, when it comes due, will also need to address that issue.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right because I think the Sox will pay 5/$17-$18 for the player who makes the offense go.  Among the regulars (non-platoon players and subs) he's 2nd on the team in OBP and hits, 3rd in BA, and 1st in runs scored and SB.

The difference between what you'd give him and what you think he'll go for is only $3-$4M/year.  In today's Red Sox that's "chump change" and it's going to be even more so toward the end of his contract. 

My fear is that someone is going to offer him 5/$20, wich I think would push the Sox out of contention. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Sox will survive this injury. JBJ will be the Brandon Workman of the outfield. THis will be good enough to make a run in the Post season, with Middlebrooks on fire, Bogaerts being what we thought he'd be only sooner than expected, and Napoli and Victorino killing it.

I like Ells though. Hope Sox offer him 4 yrs / $65M to play LF. I honestly don't REALLY know what he will actually get offered from teams. But it's baseball. He'll get Crawford money from some team. 

" Blank?...BLANK?!.. But you're not looking at the big picture! "

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Here's something we DO agree on.  I think all contracts should be incentive-laden.  As it is owners are paying for past performance and hoping that performance continues.  Paying millions of dollars based on "hope" is a crazy thing to do.  These owners didn't make their money doing that!

In the case of Ellsbury I'd like to see a contract based on games played, much like the contracts of Napoli and Lackey, but it's not going to happen because some owner won't require that clause and Ells will go there.  If I were JH I'd take the risk rather than lose him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox News         @GlobeSox

Jacoby Ellsbury out indefinitely for Red Sox http://bo.st/1agQo8F  #redsox

Sections
Shortcuts