Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

Compression fracture. Farrell expects him back during the regular season 

Non-Displaced stress fracture JB...Is that the same thing?

[/QUOTE]

IDK, paw. Just quoted Farrell, from the post game. Where is pumpsie when we need him?Tongue Out

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

More on Ellsbury status: He'll be in boot for 5 days then see how he responds to treatment. No exact timetable at this point.

— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox)  September 8, 2013

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Compression fracture. Farrell expects him back during the regular season 

Non-Displaced stress fracture JB...Is that the same thing?

Different stuff:

A stress fracture is really a crack within the bone. It is a partial fracture, or microfracture, rather than a complete fracture. Stress fractures most often result from overuse or repetitive stress on the bone. They often result from any increased amount or intensity of activity that occurs too rapidly to give the bone a chance to adjust.

In contrast to stress fractures, a compression fracture is a complete bone break that disrupts the bone tissue and collapses the affected bone. The spinal vertebral body is the most common site of compression fractures. As the most common fractures associated with osteoporosis, vertebral compression fractures typically occur in the elderly osteoporotic spine; however, they can also occur as a result of severe trauma in the non-osteoporotic individual.

Essentially a compression fracture is where the bone is crushed. I was under the impression from what I read that such fractures require immobilization for at least six weeks. Good thing I am not Ellsbury's orthopedist. That said, I am going to believe Ellsbury will be back when I see it. Both Pedroia and Ross had similar injuries and missed a lot of time:

Dustin Pedroia had a non-displaced fracture of the same bone in 2010, returned for just two games, and had offseason surgery, limiting him to 75 games that season. In 2012, Cody Ross fractured the same bone in his left foot and missed 27 games.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Yes, I realize some plays are in "no man's land" or "both man's land", but neither know it in time to call for it, but I have watched that play over and over many times, and I do not think it falls into either of those categories. In my opinion, Ellsbury had the ball easily and should have called for it. Beltre did his job by running hard until called off. He was never called off.

There was a play this year that was also clearly Jacoby's ball. His lips never moved. He never called off the RF'er, and they nearly collided. I see a pattern of not following the fundementals of baseball. He increases the odds of getting injured.

Slightly off topic - but not much - I have to wonder if Moon and I, along with many other unnamed posters here, aren't a product of a tag line someone had in the past.  "We don't see things as they are.  We see things as WE are".  

In the case of Ellsbury, Moon became sold on the idea a couple of months ago that this team couldn't afford Ellsbury and still remain competitive, so he now sees everything related to Ells as being a reason to not sign him.

I, OTOH, want to see Ells signed so I can overlook a lot or not put a lot of faith in "anecdotal evidence".  I tend to see his contributions to the team as overriding any negatives that might be there.

Again, we don't see things as they are. We see things as WE are.

Just something to think about.... Smile

Yes, think about it. You are "seeing things the way you are".

A .355 OBP leadoff hitter is not worth $17-20M a year. The SBs and plus defense make up for some of the low OPS, but not enough to be worth that kind of commitment. Then, there is the injury question.

Again, it's not like not signing Ellsbury will mean we don't spend that money elsewhere. I have never pretended that JBJ will equal the value of Ellsbury year one, but the $17-20M spent as wisely as Ben spent this past winter will go a long way to upgrading other positions and high need areas. The highly valued comp pick will probably help us deep into the future.

Our payroll budget next year is currently going to be at about $150M after arbs are settled, including the $13M Lester option. That leaves us enought o sign Ellsbury and maybe Salty, but no big 1Bman. Spreading the money out more evenly can get us a very good OF'er, 1Bman, catcher, utility IF'er, and pen help.

Is this Ellsbury-less line-up really any worse than the one with Ellsbury?

No Ellsbury:

1) Victorino CF

2) Nava/Gomes LF

3) Pedroia 2B

4) Ortiz DH

5) Napoli, Morneau, or Morales 1B

6) Pence RF

7) McCann C

8) Boggy SS

9) Middy 3B

(Plus a comp draft pick in 2014)

with Ellsbury 

1) Ellsbury CF (maybe for just 120 games or less)

2) Victorino RF

3) Pedroia 2B

4) Ortiz DH

5) Nava/Gomes LF

6) Carp/Nava 1B

7) Salty/Ross C (Maybe we can afford Ellsbury and McCann)

8) Boggy SS

9) Middy 3B

Then, as Ellsbury ages and production drops and/or injuries increase, how will the $17-20M spent be helping us win year after year?

BTW, I wasn't "sold a couple months ago". I have held the position that no player with a profile like Ellsbury is worth $17-20+M a year, especially for 4+ years. When we signed Crawford, who had a better OPS and WAR than Ellsbury, I said his contract would "cripple us for years and years", and that he was no more than a "glorified platoon player". This is not some new fly-by opinion I developed overnight. I am not blind to the "anectdotal value" Ellsbury brings to the team. I watch the game. I love defense. I love speed. I love having him as a healthy leadoff hitter. There are intangibles that are not seen in stats. I get that. Really, I do. I just don't see them as countering the low OPS and pedestrian leadoff OBP.

Sox4ever

seems you BOTH see things as you areWink

Yes SP. "They are who we thought they were!" ;)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Not sure why this post was removed?

i dont think ells will be back this year.  bummer because he has been great both offensively and defensively.

I fear we have seen the last of him in a RS uni....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

I fear we have seen the last of him in a RS uni....

Man, I hope not.

Where's a bigger version of your avatar pic?

//edit.  nevermind.  found one:  http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2383/361/30955180022_large.jpg

Sections
Shortcuts