Ellsbury for Andrus?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Ellsbury for Andrus?

With Profar very close to coming up, and Hamilton possibly leaving, might this be a deal that benefits both teams?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: Ellsbury for Andrus?

In response to scauma09's comment:

With Profar very close to coming up, and Hamilton possibly leaving, might this be a deal that benefits both teams?

Its going to take more than Els with only year on his contract to get Andrus a 4 year veteren at 24 who is improving every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Its going to take more than Els with only year on his contract to get Andrus a 4 year veteren at 24 who is improving every year.

Amdurs only has 2 years left, but I seriously doubt Texas is all that interested in Ellsbury...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Andrus did not improve last year.

I know I am in a minority here and everywhere, but I don't think it should take a lot more to make that trade an equal swap. At their peak ability, Ellsbury is very likely the better player. Ellsbury in Texas would fit better both offensively aswell as defensively. The problem is the health, age, and contractual status. However, it is somewhat madeup for because of Ellsbury peak ability is better. Example....Odds Andrus puts up a WAR the next 3 years in Texas of 7+? 20% IMO. Odds Ellsbury does? 60% IMO. Getting the better player is always a nice thing in a trade.

Truthfully, Andrus not improving last year is somewhat concerning. I would trade Ellsbury and one quality prospect[None in our top 5] for him. But that would be it. And I don't think I would be excited about it. And I only do it if I was willing to bring up Jackie Rogers Jr;) to start the season and I didn't think Bogaerts or Iglesias was the answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I know I am in a minority here and everywhere, but I don't think it should take a lot more to make that trade an equal swap. At their peak ability, Ellsbury is very likely the better player. Ellsbury in Texas would fit better both offensively aswell as defensively. The problem is the health, age, and contractual status. However, it is somewhat madeup for because of Ellsbury peak ability is better. Example....Odds Andrus puts up a WAR the next 3 years in Texas of 7+? 20% IMO. Odds Ellsbury does? 60% IMO. Getting the better player is always a nice thing in a trade.

Truthfully, Andrus not improving last year is somewhat concerning. I would trade Ellsbury and one quality prospect[None in our top 5] for him. But that would be it. And I don't think I would be excited about it. And I only do it if I was willing to bring up Jackie Rogers Jr;) to start the season and I didn't think Bogaerts or Iglesias was the answer.

Jackie Rogers?  Are you some sort of old time racing fan? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

• If they bring up Jackie Rogers, Jr.

they should consider platooning him with either Jiminy Glick

or Ed Grimley

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Jackie Rodgers?

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

It's about median average production over full seasons.

If you go by either the last two seasons or the last three seasons Ellsbury has been the more productive player on average. I guess if its all about the "median" then Andrus wins. However, I prefer special to consistent. I don't expect Ellsbury to run into another player again and break more bones. Just my assumption though.

I am open to trading Ellsbury. I am also open to resigning him too. And also just letting it play out and letting him leave. If we trade him, who plays center field? Its a complicated situation. Unless we get a really good offer I think the smart play is to wait it out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I'm not interested in Andrus.  My reasoning is that if the Red Sox are moving Ellsbury, it's because they don't think they can contend this year, or they are getting wowed by a huge offer.  For that reason, if they move him, I'd be targeting multiple prospects, preferably pitching prospects and a solid 1B prospect.  If they are afraid of losing Ellsbury in a year, Andrus is only under team control for 1 additional season, and if you aren't competing between now and then, aren't you pretty much just delaying the inevitable?

On top of that, acquiring Andrus reduces the trade value of Iglesias and, to a degree, the rest of the SS prospects you have.  If you trade Ellsbury to fill a hole on your team that one of your top prospects could fill presently, obviously you don't have faith that he can play, so why would another team? 

Lastly, Andrus is not the guy you build your team around. He's a good player, that can contribute a lot to a contending team, but just like Crawford, he's not going to carry the team on his own.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

JBJ---Jackie Bradley, Jr. may be ready by ST to take over CF. 

The Sox have Iggy, Ciriaco, Bogaerts and the new kid, Marrero, that will be ready at various stages the next 1-3 years to play SS--Andrus might be a bridge to them.

The question would you trade Ells this winter not knowing if any one of them is really ready? Would you trade Ells to the Angels for Peter Bourjos and save some money knowing you have a CF that you can move after ST if JBJ impresses sufficiently? 

Or would you trade Ells and go all in and sign both Ortiz and Hamilton, put them in the middle of the order and go with Sands and Brentz at the corners in the OF? Let Ross walk. There could be worse outfields. 

Then go out and sign two starting pitchers and Soriano to close and trade Bailey to a team that needs a closer.

Lots of great possibilities--I love this game-- the Hot Stove will warm us up for 2013!!!!! 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The Sox have Iggy, Ciriaco, Bogaerts and the new kid, Marrero, that will be ready at various stages the next 1-3 years to play SS--Andrus might be a bridge to them.

The question would you trade Ells this winter not knowing if any one of them is really ready? Would you trade Ells to the Angels for Peter Bourjos and save some money knowing you have a CF that you can move after ST if JBJ impresses sufficiently? 

Or would you trade Ells and go all in and sign both Ortiz and Hamilton, put them in the middle of the order and go with Sands and Brentz at the corners in the OF? Let Ross walk. There could be worse outfields. 

Then go out and sign two starting pitchers and Soriano to close and trade Bailey to a team that needs a closer.

Lots of great possibilities--I love this game-- the Hot Stove will warm us up for 2013!!!!! 

Wow... serious on Soriano???? give up young ROY dominant closer and sign 33 yr old who's going to decline $11M option????

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Good insight. Texas feels Profar is ready and this swap has been discussed according to a few insiders.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Wow... serious on Soriano???? give up young ROY dominant closer and sign 33 yr old who's going to decline $11M option????

Yes I would trade Bailey and I would make a push for Soriano to be the Sox closer--It's the same principle that's been tossed around the forum about signing Ortiz. Sign him so the Yanks don't. If the Sox picked up Soriano it means the pressure is on the Yankees to either get another closer or rely on Mariano coming off major knee surgery. Soriano was the second best closer in the AL. 

IMHO Bailey is not the answer as closer. Starting with a clean slate---no one holding any grudges--I would like to see open competition for the closers spot if the Sox don't go after Soriano. If no  Soriano I think Aceves would beat out Bailey.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Boston can easily fix the bullpen with their own current staffs as well to find some from the farm system.

Top three priority is ACE or top of the rotation pitcher, 1b, and LF along with DH/RF if both players refuse to resign with Boston.

Then who know they can work way down.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

Good insight. Texas feels Profar is ready and this swap has been discussed according to a few insiders.

It really makes sense on both sides. Texas keeps on moving, having saved money in the process. Boston has a stable infield, sans first baseman. A veteran bridge to jbj. It could work logically. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

they have the money RESIGN HIM!!

after the 2010 season people were saying he was fragile what did he do? he brought it, played nearly all the games (just like he did in every other season minus 2010) and put up historic numbers.

after another freak accident people are still questioning his ability to stay healthy. he is going to bring it again this year too. Pair that with him wanting a new contract and he could put up 2011 numbers or better. you build around a guy like that

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

they have the money RESIGN HIM!!

after the 2010 season people were saying he was fragile what did he do? he brought it, played nearly all the games (just like he did in every other season minus 2010) and put up historic numbers.

after another freak accident people are still questioning his ability to stay healthy. he is going to bring it again this year too. Pair that with him wanting a new contract and he could put up 2011 numbers or better. you build around a guy like that

I don't question his ability to stay healthy so much as the amount of time he spends on the DL once he does get hurt. Derek Jeter came back from essentially the same injury Ells had this year in like 2 weeks I think. And when Ells did come back he seemed extremely reluctant to run, which is a big part of his game.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Giving up anything of value for a bridge to Bogearts and/or Marrero makes little sense to me.  Ells is the perfect bridge to Bradley Jr.  Trade Ells only if you are getting a bona fide 1 starter; otherwise, hang on to him for 2013 and let Bradley play at Pawtucket all year (with a Sept. call-up).  Iglesias will do the job defensively, and if the rest of the offense is filled in well, his bat won't hurt that much.  Ells, Pedey, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Hunter, Ross/Kalish, Ike Davis, Salty/Lavarnway, and Iglesias/Ciriaco should get the Sox to the playoffs if the Sox will spend their new found money on Haren and Peavy. 

Trade Doubront for Davis, sign Hunter for cheap and short terms.  Give Ortiz his 2-year deal at around 25 million and sign Ross to a 3-year/30 million deal with 12 million option for 4th year. 

Haren and Peavy ought to be available for 3 or 4 year deals at 13 -15 each year.  Haren, Peavy, Ortiz, Ross and Hunter might cost 61 million.  Ortiz, Beckett, Crawford, Matsuzaka and AGone were paid over 80 million.  Sox end up with less payroll and more value where it counts (pitching). 

Plus, the new contracts don't tie up the ball club for the next 5, 6, 7 years.  Instead, they bridge the gap to the next wave of young guns (Bradley Jr., Brentz, Bogaerts, De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Owens, Light, Jacobs or De La Cruz, Cecchini, Margot perhaps), players who are anywhere from one year (Bradley) to perhaps 3 or 4 years away (Bogaerts, Owens, Margot, Swihart).

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Giving up anything of value for a bridge to Bogearts and/or Marrero makes little sense to me.  Ells is the perfect bridge to Bradley Jr.  Trade Ells only if you are getting a bona fide 1 starter; otherwise, hang on to him for 2013 and let Bradley play at Pawtucket all year (with a Sept. call-up).  Iglesias will do the job defensively, and if the rest of the offense is filled in well, his bat won't hurt that much.  Ells, Pedey, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Hunter, Ross/Kalish, Ike Davis, Salty/Lavarnway, and Iglesias/Ciriaco should get the Sox to the playoffs if the Sox will spend their new found money on Haren and Peavy. 

Trade Doubront for Davis, sign Hunter for cheap and short terms.  Give Ortiz his 2-year deal at around 25 million and sign Ross to a 3-year/30 million deal with 12 million option for 4th year. 

Haren and Peavy ought to be available for 3 or 4 year deals at 13 -15 each year.  Haren, Peavy, Ortiz, Ross and Hunter might cost 61 million.  Ortiz, Beckett, Crawford, Matsuzaka and AGone were paid over 80 million.  Sox end up with less payroll and more value where it counts (pitching). 

Plus, the new contracts don't tie up the ball club for the next 5, 6, 7 years.  Instead, they bridge the gap to the next wave of young guns (Bradley Jr., Brentz, Bogaerts, De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Owens, Light, Jacobs or De La Cruz, Cecchini, Margot perhaps), players who are anywhere from one year (Bradley) to perhaps 3 or 4 years away (Bogaerts, Owens, Margot, Swihart).

Bogaerts might be closer than Bradley. But other than that I concur wholeheartedly.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

We can only hope, cause that might mean he is ready by July if Iglesias is still hitting shy of .200!!

In response to parhunter55's comment:

We can only hope, cause that might mean he is ready by July if Iglesias is still hitting shy of .200!!

Tony C came up from A ball at 19, and Bogaerts reminds me of Tony C somewhat at the plate. I'm hoping Xander gets some games with Portland this year though, just so I can see him play at Hadlock Field.

• Sections
    Shortcuts