Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp?

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp?:
    Right now, Ellsbury + for Hanley is the best trade fit for both teams.
    Posted by hankwilliams

You would trade a good hitting, bad glove and sometime loafer who should be in the OF for Ellsbury you are nuts Softy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

All that I am saying is that Ben should do his DUE DILIGENCE and see what Ned and Doug think of it. I am NOT promoting a trade of Ellsbury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Hanley would go to LF for 2012, Crawford to RF and Reddick/Kalish CF. Hanley would be perfect long term fit, providing the RH hitting talent where the Red Sox are bereft. Ellsbury value trade window before FA (Crawford in place) ends after this winter. Inepstein never undersood selling high, only buying career years. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

How about a thread regarding signing Ellsbury for a change....he is a boras client and will go to the highest bidder, well it is time to be the hghest bidder for one of our own for a change

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Neither the Dodgers nor the Brewers will trade for Ellsbury unless they could sign Jacoby.  The value of a signed Kemp is pretty good, the value for a signed Braun who could also play in the infield, if need be, is excellent, and with Scott Boras likely to want to break the bank with Jacoby Ellsbury, don't see him being tradeable.  Getting 2 more seasons from him, trying to sign him or getting draft picks when offered arbitration looks like the way to go. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hanley would go to LF for 2012, Crawford to RF and Reddick/Kalish CF. Hanley would be perfect long term fit, providing the RH hitting talent where the Red Sox are bereft. Ellsbury value trade window before FA (Crawford in place) ends after this winter. Inepstein never undersood selling high, only buying career years. 
    Posted by hankwilliams

So you want to trade for a player that has declined for the past two years, injured each of the last two years, so you can have him play a position that he's never played before, thereby pushing another regular to a position he's never played before, with the ancillary benefit of spending another $10M that we don't have for a dubious benefit that we don't need, and then creating a hole in CF that we can't fill?

Your obsession has destroyed your thinking ability.  I'd have no problem trading Ellsbury, but between the hole you've created in CF, the extra money you just spent, and then asking two players to switch positions, you might be better off just cutting Ellsbury.

Try to focus your obsession on an idea that might actually help us.

Just out of the box, Alonso + Grindal for Ellsbury
    Bumgarner for Ells
    Ells for two of the Braves good young pitchers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure just who this Ellsbury kid really is yet. I think it's reasonable to question how he could possibly better last season, and to assume he's possibly topped out his potential. I'd not argue with anyone who said this was likely. But there was something in his eyes all last year that I marvelled at and was intrigued by: FIRE. The man literally had it in every at bat and treated each one as if it were his last. I haven't seen that level of competetive intensity on this team since....dare I say... never? I'm VERY curious how he does this season, but I wouldn't be shocked if the confidence he found last season was permenantly transformative. He may just be something really, really special. Much to Softy's chagrin, of course...Haha! Sorry Softmeister! Couldn't resist. :p

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure just who this Ellsbury kid really is yet. I think it's reasonable to question how he could possibly better last season, and to assume he's possibly topped out his potential. I'd not argue with anyone who said this was likely. But there was something in his eyes all last year that I marvelled at and was intrigued by: FIRE. The man literally had it in every at bat and treated each one as if it were his last. I haven't seen that level of competetive intensity on this team since....dare I say... never? I'm VERY curious how he does this season, but I wouldn't be shocked if the confidence he found last season was permenantly transformative. He may just be something really, really special. Much to Softy's chagrin, of course...Haha! Sorry Softmeister! Couldn't resist. :p
    Posted by Teakus

Hard to beleive.  That was a classic call from Softy.  Sofly Screaming to get rid of him, to him becoming he best player in BB.

He was the best player in BB last year, according to WAR.  That would be difficult for any player to reproduce.  Kind of like Dice from 2008, or Buchholz from 2010.  Hopefully he doesn't have a decline to a regular AS level, and RS fans whine about how bad he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Fortunately, none of you "trade Ellsbury" freaks are employees of the Red Sox FO. Trade Ells? How dumb are you?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

With all due respect to the participants of this forum, I simply shake my head every time an OP comes up suggesting the Red Sox trade for Kemp, Braun, etc. In every case the team that has those type of players are not going to trade them. Pure and simple, straight up. It is all wishful, fantasy baseball thinking. Then, it is almost always trade Ells for _________. Sure lets get rid of the best leadoff hitter in baseball that we have locked down for two years. Makes no sense. At the end of the day IMO two things will happen 1) The Red Sox will not, despite all this wishful thinking, make some sort of blockbuster trade or FA signing this year. We are going to look very similar next year. and 2) Ells will be gone after two more years via FA and when we peer out into CF opening day in 2014 a lot of the Ells bashers on this board are going to go.....OMG...really, who is that guy out there?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

These are slow and boring days in the forum. I've got it, let's start a thread about trading Ellsbury. That is sure to get some spirited responses.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegobees. Show thegobees's posts

Ells and bard for Felix

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegobees. Show thegobees's posts

After you get Felix then sign Heath bell. We get the starter we desperately need and a closer. All we need now is an 8 th inning guy You have to believe that Crawford will bounce back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Another thing to consider is that if Boras thinks this was a career year for Ellsbury, he might try to negotiate an extension with a new club rather than wait for free agency.  If the Cardinals lose Pujols, for instance, and the Sox trade Ellsbury for Wainwright and Miller, there is a lot of pressure on the Cards to sign Ellsbury to an extension, and Boras might get more money than he would if he waited two years, and tested free agency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

As a fan since 1966, watching Ellsbury, he demonstrated some top notch physicial skills last season. He is a special player, let's try and keep him in Boston for his career.
    Imagine, a star starting and ending his career with the Sox..... think we could ever see that again?  This old fan remembers Yaz playing only for us. Those before me, Teddy Ballgame.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

As a fan since 1966, watching Ellsbury, he demonstrated some top notch physicial skills last season. He is a special player, let's try and keep him in Boston for his career. Imagine, a star starting and ending his career with the Sox..... think we could ever see that again?  This old fan remembers Yaz playing only for us. Those before me, Teddy Ballgame.
    Posted by LeftyGrove

Good point. It would be nice to keep Ellsbury in Boston long term. There seems to be too many suggestions on who we should trade Ells for. Kemp, Braun, Ethier, Felix, it just goes on. Alot of suggestions on who we might or might not get for Ells. I hope that we keep him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp? : Good point. It would be nice to keep Ellsbury in Boston long term. There seems to be too many suggestions on who we should trade Ells for. Kemp, Braun, Ethier, Felix, it just goes on. Alot of suggestions on who we might or might not get for Ells. I hope that we keep him. 
    Posted by jrh1194

Those making those suggestions are merely trying to bring posters into a boring forum. They are unable to think of any new topics of potential dialogue. Those who were unique in posting or starting threads are long gone. Many just come here to debate old topics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Trading Ellsbury for anyone has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trading Ellsbury for anyone has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard.
    Posted by carnie

Come on, carnie. The guy is gone in 2 years. There has to be some package you'd like.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp? : Come on, carnie. The guy is gone in 2 years. There has to be some package you'd like.
    Posted by moonslav59
    If he can't be signed by the end of the year then maybe. But I'd be looking for at least someone like Greinke coming back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm sure by this time there has been sufficient conversation between Bor, Ells and Sox management about a long term deal. All it will take is for Ells to have a serious brush with fate and he realizes his own mortality and tells Boras get me signed. Then too, the question, does he want to spend his career with the Sox?

What's a reasonable amount--CC's, Kemp's or Braun's contracts  for outfielders or waiting until Pujols or Fielder to see what they get. It's a game--at some point he will head to the Yankees for probably $200 M--inconceivable for Ells, I agree.

I say if Ben can work out a deal with a team, including the Yankees, or a  team he might like to join for the next two years and beyond and we can get Texiera or Haren  type prospects or a top starting pitcher make it happen. This guy, may be worth a huge contract if he puts up  similar numbers this year --show him the money or trade him.

Yankees--Montero and their two best pitching prospects from Scranton.
    Rangers--Neftali Feliz and their two best Min. league pitching prospects.
    Phillies--Not sure about their talent.
    Angels--Haren plus a prospect
    Giants--Cain plus a prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Ellsbury to the Yankees? Real smart. Trade your best player to the Yankees for 2 or 3 unproven players. Drink much?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp? : If he can't be signed by the end of the year then maybe. But I'd be looking for at least someone like Greinke coming back.
    Posted by carnie

I think Greinke is absolutely attainable.  If anything, that's shooting low, considering he has only one year of control, plus when the Brewers lose Fielder, I'm sure they will want a more menacing left-handed bat than Nyjer Morgan in the lineup.

I think the Brewers are also a good example of why it's unrealistic to think we're going to retain Ellsbury.  You hire Boras to get you top dollar, and the Red Sox just don't need Ellsbury like some teams do.  The White Sox are another team that would kill for a left-handed center-fielder with speed and pop.  Even with more mony to spend, the Sox will be out-bid by a team with greater need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Braun? Ellsbury for Kemp? : I think Greinke is absolutely attainable.  If anything, that's shooting low, considering he has only one year of control, plus when the Brewers lose Fielder, I'm sure they will want a more menacing left-handed bat than Nyjer Morgan in the lineup. I think the Brewers are also a good example of why it's unrealistic to think we're going to retain Ellsbury.  You hire Boras to get you top dollar, and the Red Sox just don't need Ellsbury like some teams do.  The White Sox are another team that would kill for a left-handed center-fielder with speed and pop.  Even with more mony to spend, the Sox will be out-bid by a team with greater need.
    Posted by slomag
    We dont need Ellsbury like some other teams? Is that because we have a gold glove lead off hitting superstar in the making to take his place? You would type anything to make your point about trading Ellsbury look like you know what you are talking about. Why not figure out a way to sign him? Good God howmany home grown superstars do teams bring through the system? Start right now in the signing process.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Sections
Shortcuts