Ellsbury for Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Ellsbury for Kemp?

Sox need a guy with some character and Kemp could be that player.

Would you do this trade?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Ellsbury for Kemp?

In Response to Ellsbury for Kemp?:
    Sox need a guy with some character and Kemp could be that player. Would you do this trade?
    Posted by beavis
    No. And LA is not going to trade Kemp. His character tends to be dumb on the baseball field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

no. But I'd do Crawford for Kemp!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I wanted to do this all last year when LA put out feelers on Kemp. That ship has sailed as he's back to performing at an elite level.

So, in a word; Yes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Sox need a guy with some character and Kemp could be that player. Would you do this trade?
    Posted by beavis

What is character to you? Matt Kemp is the closest thing MLB has to Milton Bradley now that the latter is gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

No, the Sox should stick with Ellsbury. I also don't see why the Dodgers would want to trade Kemp for Ellsbury,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Why would either team do this deal?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hell no.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

OMG this is NOT going to happen.  There is talk about L.A. having a sell-off, yes that is true.  Why in the world, if trying to cut payroll, would they want to trade Kemp, whos under control for next season for Ellsbury who's a Boras agent player who is also due for a big contract soon???

I'm not saying that they wouldn't want Ellsbury, only that considering all the elements, Ellsbury would hold very little trade value with L.A. which would make trading him there.....stupid, very stupid.

It would be much more plausible to suggest trading Ellsbury for prospects which in turn could be flipped with perhaps a prospect or two of our own for Kemp. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why in the world, if trying to cut payroll, would they want to trade Kemp, whos under control for next season for Ellsbury who's a Boras agent player who is also due for a big contract soon???

Kemp is making $7.1M and has one arb left.

Ellsbury makes $2.4M and has two arb years left.

LA would save about $2M this year and maybe $4M next year in arb award differential, and have an extra year with Jacoby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes true, which does make Ellsbury valuable to them, but by how much?  

The Contract Ellsbury will want, and seeing how he is Boras client, and is still relatively close to free agency (like you said only 1 year more than Kemp) make him not so attractive to L.A.   If I was L.A. I wouldn't take Ellsbury unless he came with a top prospect + 

I could be wrong here, but in terms of a team looking to reduce payroll and potentially have a fire-sale...the trade just doesn't seem to match up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

If Frank was some how able to keep the Dodgers it is a move he might make, might. But it isn't where the Dodgers should trim payroll.

Bad trade for LA and frankly not great for Boston if you have to play Kemp in CF. He doesn't belong there, he ended up there because of the Manny trade and struggles of Juan Pierre when he was there. Matt is a natural LF. But if LA would do it I'd live with the Dave Henderson defense.

He is a heck of a ballplayer, living in LA I get to see more of him than I would most NL guys. But he has a 10 cent head at moments. While all the Dodgers benefited greatly from Manny as far as learning the work habits that a great hitter should have, Matt seems to have adopted #24's attention to detail on base paths and hitting cut-off men.

Still he is a middle of the order player with ceiling yet to be hit and Ellsbury is a top of the order guy in the same mold. Tough trade to make if you are LA and looking to keep the product attractive enough to sell tickets and sell the franchise. And that franchise will be sold. MLB knows it, Jamie McCourt knows it, the courts over seeing the McCourt's know it, only Frank is in denial.

Just my takes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by beavis

That makes no sense.  Ellsbury has better character than Kemp.

Mind you, I have no idea if that's true, but of course, neither do you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I dunno guys i would have to pull the trigger on that deal. Check out how our line up would look:

crawford
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    youk
    kemp
    ortiz
    lowrie
    drew
    salty

Gotta say i like that line up better than the one we have now with ellsbury in it. Dont get me wrong ells is a good player and I am not saying i want to get rid  of him but i would trade him for matt kemp. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Matt Kemp has been in the majors for several years, but in many ways the game of baseball still seems a mystery to him.  No deal. He is not going to replace Crawford in left. He's not a good CFer.  RF in Fenway might be the death of him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't think you improve as a team by the swap - but comparing the two I will take Kemp.

CA and RF are the only places, or perhaps SS are the only fielding positions to improve on for 2011m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes true, which does make Ellsbury valuable to them, but by how much?  

The Contract Ellsbury will want, and seeing how he is Boras client, and is still relatively close to free agency (like you said only 1 year more than Kemp) make him not so attractive to L.A.   If I was L.A. I wouldn't take Ellsbury unless he came with a top prospect + 

I could be wrong here, but in terms of a team looking to reduce payroll and potentially have a fire-sale...the trade just doesn't seem to match up. 

I never said I thought the deal could get done; I just wanted to point out the 2 1/3 years of Ellsbury before free agency have value. His cost will be lower than his value, and LA is probably looking for low-cost, but immediate impact players and not far-away prospects for Kemp.

I don't see the match up either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To all the bad defense comments about Kemp...he won a gold glove out there in 2009 (when he logged 158 games in CF)...he's doing something right.

Also, from 08-10 he played in:
    162 games

He is the right handed power OF bat the Sox are sorely missing.

Don't think it would happen, but would be THRILLED if it did.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"i'd do crawford for kemp."

so would i alibiike, even if it was jack kemp.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

not sure how most of the trades mentioned on this board make sense.

typical start seems to be this : "_____ is useless and/or overpaid. he is terrible. let's send him to _______ for _________ since they have to dump salary."

most of the trades mentioned seem to hurt us in another position while only marginally helping us in another.  and have no chance of being accepted by an gm currently working in MLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

what????  huh???? els for kemp?? dream on doguh fans

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

But he has a 10 cent head at moments

This is an obvious racist comment. If Kemp has a .10 head at moments, Bellsbury has a slug head, at moments.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

At every level, Ellsbury is at or near his career averages. Despite claims he's breaking out, his numbers are all within the same ranges of his career averages. He's never going to be any on-base machine, nor a solid defensive CF'er.

His asset is speed and, for the next few years until that speed declines, the ability to get good pitches to slap around. His highest and best value in in the NL.

Kemp for Bellsbury works for the distressed current state of the Dodgers, and gives the Red Sox a solid young RH OF'er who would fit perfectly in LF. Crawford's speed is best used in RF, not LF. Crawford's arm issues aren't my problem, as signing Crawford (team championship or not) was one of the most idiotic value signings in Red Sox history.

2012   Kemp, Kalish, Crawford (4th OF'er one year deal on adequate overall RH OF'er) (Farm depth Reddick et al)

I understand Kemp wouldn't be as popular as Bellsbury, but he's a much better baseball player. Not that that matters...........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury's two best assets are speed and hand-eye coordination--the latter is why he rarely makes an error and his OPS is over .800.  This year he is far and away the best hitter among the six--count 'em--outfielders the Sox have used this year.  Crawford and Drew both have OPS's under .700.  Last night was just another example of his value to the team--nice catch up against the wall, scored the first run basically on his own (singled, stole second, took third on a WP that wasn't far from the catcher, came home on a ground out) and delivered a solid SF his next time up.  He bats leadoff and has one less rbi than David Ortiz and leads the team in runs scored--the polar opposite of J.D. Drew, who leads the team in nonproductivity. 

So it is absolutely dumb to get rid of Ellsbury.  Drew is leaving and needs to be replaced, and that is where the focus should be.  Crawford's insane salary limits what the Sox can do, so I'm guessing they will bring up Reddick (now at Boston) or Kalish or whoever. 

I will admit that I like the idea of a righty power hitter, and Kemp does fill that bill, at least this year, which is absolutely a career year so far for him.  Last year Crawford had a career year, and so far hasn't lived up to it.  Did I forget to mention that Kemp at $7M is paid 10 times as much as Ellsbury? 

Sections
Shortcuts