Ellsbury for Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ellsbury for Kemp?

nothing wrong with keeping a kid that has improved every year (Ellsbury) and whos batting .291 .360obp .452slg so far in 2011, with only 2 errors in 4+ years and leading the league AGAIN in sb with 19 so far. Id do what i can to sign him for many years...The kid, as we saw last night, can change the flow of a game with his speed on the base paths..that, to me, is a yet another big asset JE possesses IMO..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Speed?

Ells has 19 steals. Impressive. Kemp has 14 with power numbers to put Ells to shame.

155/159/162 - Games playes each of the past 3 years.

Breaking out? Yup, he is. At 26, with plenty of 'prime' years left. Oh wait, no he broke out at 23, and is having the type of improvement you'd expect form an elite player.

You have to give up something to get something (except in the Slocumb-Lowe/Tek deal), Ellsbury, to me, is MORE valuable to an NL team. NL teams tend to play lower scoring, more "small ball" types of games, which maximizes his value to a team.

Unfortunately, this ship sailed last year with barely a whimper from most people. In fact, many said I was an idiot, or any variation of that for even mentioning trading a young, stud, electric OFer for a guy who wasn't even that good. He was having a down year, I tated the facts, the track record, the age, the progression, and the fact that EVERYONE on LA had a bad year last year. Not good enough.

Oh, but what a surprise, he's hammering the ball again, and NOW everyone pays attention. Part of being a good GM is being able to anticipate, and buy low. That isn't an indictment on Theo at all, it's an indictment on all the couch GMs who always want to go after the hot, popular guy.

Oh well, maybe they can give him 23 mil a year in 3 years when he's a 29 year old FA.

Oh, here come the "here's softy's twin!" comments. Ellsbury is back to playing well...for how long? He's been tough so far...through the first 3rd of the season. I'd like to see him play 155 games...for 3 straight years, or EVER log 162.

JD Drew with speed until I'm shown something that erases 2+ years of very questionable durability.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

wow - if you guys all knew that LA would give away Kemp, why didn't a single gm in all of baseball?

and if Kemp is so great - why would the Dodgers give him up for an "over-rated" Ellsbury?

if the Dodgers are in a panic to dump salary - why haven't they made any trades yet? when does the fire sale start?

or could it be that you are blaming Theo for not doing something that just isn't going to happen?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury for Kemp?:
    [QUOTE]wow - if you guys all knew that LA would give away Kemp, why didn't a single gm in all of baseball? and if Kemp is so great - why would the Dodgers give him up for an "over-rated" Ellsbury? if the Dodgers are in a panic to dump salary - why haven't they made any trades yet? when does the fire sale start? or could it be that you are blaming Theo for not doing something that just isn't going to happen?
    Posted by sgtnull[/QUOTE]

Give away may be a bit strong, but LA put out feelers at last year's deadline for Kemp. It was widely reported upon...maybe you missed that.

The Dodgers WILL be dumping salary. It's a mess between the divorce, and MLB taking control. They are kind of frozen at the moment, but they will be paring that payroll down if nothing else, to make it a more attractive team to buy. Few owners want big payrolls on their new team, they'd rather do it their way and not be saddled by previous regime's decisions. Just kind of the way it is.

I haven't seen a whole lot of any Theo mentions in this whole post. Not a lot of blame, just discussions about a player many like, at a prime age, who MAY be available. It'd be a boring fandom if we all just accepted what was here, didn't have any individual thoughts, and never thought outside the box, or have a few baseball fantasies from time to time. Once upon a time it was discussed, thought about and nearly done...a swap of Ted Williams and Joe D.

Not sure why you were all hot and bothered by this thread, hope that clears it up for you Sarge.