Ellsbury in 2011--an anomaly or something more sinister?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Re: Ellsbury in 2011--an anomaly or something more sinister?

If you are going to start ruminating about our guys having good year following injuries and infer from that they are/were taking ped's, then it would apply around the league.  A number of high profile players come to mind who are returning from injuries and having exceptional seasons.  It does bother me about the ACES (sp?) investigation as Pedroia's name shows up as client.  Not because I think Pedey is juicing, but any association can be problematic in this world of media gone wild.  Neither Els nor Pedey have had the sort of physical changes one would expect from partaking of the fountain of youth.  Maybe that is not a hallmark sign with some of the newer, refined ped's?  The whole MLB "crackdown" on ped's is starting to look like the federal "War on Drugs"...ineffective, inadequate...and selectively enforced.  Science and big pharma will always be a step ahead of governing bodies.  My guess is that if every MLB player guilty of using some form of PED's were benched, the stretch and post-season would be rookie heaven.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

To me, the more interesting question is what was Theo's plan for Ellsbury.  I think the whole point of signing Crawford was to trade Ellsbury, and there would never have been a better time than Winter 2011. 

Ellsbury has been the weakest link in an otherwise impotent offense since his return.  Imagine how much brighter our future would look right now if instead of debating if we should pay $25M / year for a 32-year-old drug addict, we had a Chris Sale in our rotation or a Mike Minor in the rotation and a Julio Teheran on the farm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

Nonsense thread.

From the perspective no suspicions have gone public, it certainly is a nonsense thread. 

But looking at the facts--virtually no home run power, followed by above average power, followed by virtually no home run power--has to give one pause.  If MLB hasn't been watching, they are negligent. 

PED's are universally available and awfully tempting when a player has been anticipating a big contract as Ellsbury is.  I have always thought of him as a straight arrow and vehemently defended him in 2010 and since.  Now I have my doubts. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I have always liked Ells--he had a monster 2011 but take out that incredible year and you have perhaps someone less than Werth and Crawford for career production.

Bourn by comparison has had a pretty consistent career.  Victorino has been pretty consistent and has appeared in about the same number of post seasons as Ells.

They are all good--I wouldn't overpay for any of them--in fact I would say  if the Sox work with Boras and trade Ells to a team Boras thinks will sign Ells long term--I say let's make a deal and get a # 3 or 4 starter that will help us next season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

For soxchemistry and others:  Ells had a nice dinger yesterday, so hopefully he is about to go on a tear and make me look very foolish. 

Sections
Shortcuts