Ellsbury is all smiles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Ellsbury is all smiles

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

S5 'cherry-picking' would be to point out that Elles is healthy based off etc., etc., throughout his career or saying he has power. He is never healthy and he will never hit 30 homers going forward, let alone 20.

Victorinos aches and pains would out Elles on the DL for a year.

Absolutely not.  Cherry picking is taking the last FOUR years (during which he had the two unusual injuries) rather than considering the entire scope of his SIX year career.  During 2008 and 2009 he played in 145 & 153 games respectively.  Those two years were intentionally ignored in an attempt for Pumpsie to make a point - something he freely admits to.

To say Ells is "never healthy" is a huge missatement.  Other than those two years, he's played in 90% of the games - which means he's usually healthy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Since finding out the Giants signed Pence to 5yrs at an annual rate of 18M.

Both compare pretty good, but with different strngths.

Ellsbury is a much better defender at a premium position. Has a higher WAR than Pence by 1.5. Obviously faster, though pence can steal 20 bags. Ells has the better BA and OBP.

Pence plays 160 games a year. Ells has had 2 oddball collisions that kept him out. I refuse to call that injury prone. Regardless, Pence has proven he can stay healthy.

Both are 30yo (4 months apart), both have successful postseason experience.

My guess is Ellsbury will make no less than 18M and 5yrs because of Pence's new deal.

The most important stat..... Staying healthy.... Bigger problem then compareing hiis stats to another...... Huge risk with brittle star.  Please let him go !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Or another way to look at: discounting his rookie year in which he played just 33 games Ellsbury has MISSED, on average, 48 games a year (970-681=289/6 seasons is 48 games a year). That is a LOT. On average he plays just 114 games a year. Thats hardly durable enough to warrant a contract that reflects a full time player.

That's the trouble with averages.  They take in outlying data points, data points that don't mean much when trying to ascertain a trend.  If Ellsbury's games played were plotted on a graph it would be very easy to see which are the outlying data points and which are the true indicators.

If a person is standing with one foot in a bucket of liquid nitrogen and the other in a fire, on the average he's comfortable. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Or another way to look at: discounting his rookie year in which he played just 33 games Ellsbury has MISSED, on average, 48 games a year (970-681=289/6 seasons is 48 games a year). That is a LOT. On average he plays just 114 games a year. Thats hardly durable enough to warrant a contract that reflects a full time player.

That's the trouble with averages.  They take in outlying data points, data points that don't mean much when trying to ascertain a trend.  If Ellsbury's games played were plotted on a graph it would be very easy to see which are the outlying data points and which are the true indicators.

If a person is standing with one foot in a bucket of liquid nitrogen and the other in a fire, on the average he's comfortable. 

[/QUOTE]

People who use the term Fragile to describe Ells, ovbiously dont have a clue. Thank God (for Ells) GM's understand the scope of his injuries.

I dont think hes worth 18M, but the point of this is that this is how FA works. SF didnt want to risk Pence being snatched up, so they gave him a little extra to avaoid FA altogether. Crawford would have NEVER got 20M if Werth didnt get a ridiculous 18M. This is basically the same situation. Like it or not, this is how it works. The market has been set for the top FA OF'ers at 18M/5yrs.

Oh, and the useless lowball offers arent even worth posting. I do agree with some of them in theory (let them earn it), but its not worth my time to type it out because 14M for 4yrs with incentives will never never ever happen in this lifetime.

Sooooo...With all that said, Ellsburys price WILL START at 18M for 5yrs. So list your offers accordingly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

What he gets isn't going to be based on what anyone on this board says. In the world of baseball Ellsbury is a commodity, nothing more, nothing less.  And as with any commodity it's "worth" is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller in an arm's length transaction. 

IMO his "worth" is going to be a lot closer to my 5/$18 than it is someone else's 5/$14 and the current market will prove that true.  I want him on the team in 2014 and those who are talking about 5/$14 don't want him unless they can buy him for less than he's worth.  Since that's not going to happen I'd be happy to see the Sox sign him for 5/$18.

I never speculated about what I think he will GET, just what I think he deserves-which is four years at $14M per year with incentives based on playing time that will get him to where Pence is at-plus a team option for a fifth year. That way ELLSBURY and not the team assumes the risk of injury, which history tells us he is quite prone to, for whatever reason (bad luck, poor connective tissue, weaker than normal bones, reckless playing style...whatever you think is the reason for his well documented injuries). I suspect he WILL get quite a bit more than that; I hope its not from the Red Sox. I would love to have Ellsbury back at my price, but I am not willing to overpay him. No one is irreplaceable, including Jacoby Ellsbury.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

People who use the term Fragile to describe Ells, ovbiously dont have a clue. Thank God (for Ells) GM's understand the scope of his injuries.

Thats your opinion and I respect it. However, I disagree. I think he IS fragile and his history shows it. There is variation in how people form their bones and connective tissue; some do it better than others. Its possible that Ellsbury simply has a constitutional issue with how his body makes bones and ligaments. Just speculation, of course. Its also possible that his reckless style of play, as Moon has mentioned, has led to his frequent and prolonged injuries. The point is that they HAVE happened, and they have happened a LOT. I don't want the Red Sox to assume much liability or reponsiblity for the consequences of them happening over the next five years. Let some other GM do that. Oh, and I do think that GMs know his history and that it will affect the offers from the smarter GMs. In the end he will get a big payday IMO, but not from our team.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats your opinion and I respect it. However, I disagree. I think he IS fragile and his history shows it. There is variation in how people form their bones and connective tissue; some do it better than others. Its possible that Ellsbury simply has a constitutional issue with how his body makes bones and ligaments. Just speculation, of course. Its also possible that his reckless style of play, as Moon has mentioned, has led to his frequent and prolonged injuries. The point is that they HAVE happened, and they have happened a LOT. I don't want the Red Sox to assume much liability or reponsiblity for the consequences of them happening over the next five years. Let some other GM do that. Oh, and I do think that GMs know his history and that it will affect the offers from the smarter GMs. In the end he will get a big payday IMO, but not from our team.

And I respect your opinion on the whole "fragile" thing, but also disagree. I probably shouldnt have used the term "dont have a clue", but rather an opposing oipinion.

I agree with your final statement that he will get a big payday. probably more than Pence. Not sure the Sox will go that far either. Its going to be an interesting offseason to say the least.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

so 2 major injuries is a lot?

this "ellsbury is fragile" crowd is FUNNY! it's like you people (what do you mean "you people"?!?!?) refuse to see the facts as they stare you in the face.

ellsbury is NOT injury prone in any sense of the word. put any other player into those situations and they would also miss simillar time. Whether it be Cal Ripken or JD drew....

injury prone is going onto the DL repeatedly due to day to day baseball activities. Players who get especially worn down from the daily grinds of baseball get the label of injury prone. NOT players who suffer a freak injury.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a lot of things (mostly good) but "injury prone" is not one of them. anyone who says otherwise is simply being obtuse or is just stupid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

People who use the term Fragile to describe Ells, ovbiously dont have a clue. 

It's you who don't have a clue, not that "Ells" is worth big 15 to 20M a year long term contract money when he's not broken. Look up "fragile". And look up this guy's career. He's the essence of fragile. 

But I've noted that you are working hard to defend a massive Red Sox contract offer to Ellsbury, and you will defend it as "worth it" vs. the alternative when the player misses a bunch of games and has .776 OPS that you will boast about as "worth it" vs. the alternative. 

Be careful what you yearn for, infatuation is the force of financial idiocy.

Weve had discussions about this on this board and through PM softy. If you look at my last 2 posts, you will see that I agree with PG about what he should be paid with the incentives based on games played. But I also said its not a reality now that pence has signed an 18M 5 yr deal and listed what I think he will get, not what I would pay for him. Theres no way Id give him 18M without it being incentive filled.

I also changed my line of "have no clue" to an "opposing opinion" in my last post. I dont agree with Ells getting 18M+ a year. NEVER HAVE. Pleae make a note of that ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I laughed so hard I peeeed my pants when i read this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

It's you who don't have a clue, not that "Ells" is worth big 15 to 20M a year long term contract money when he's not broken. Look up "fragile". And look up this guy's career. He's the essence of fragile. 

But I've noted that you are working hard to defend a massive Red Sox contract offer to Ellsbury, and you will defend it as "worth it" vs. the alternative when the player misses a bunch of games and has .776 OPS that you will boast about as "worth it" vs. the alternative. 

Weve had discussions about this on this board and through PM softy. If you look at my last 2 posts, you will see that I agree with PG about what he should be paid with the incentives based on games played. But I also said its not a reality now that pence has signed an 18M 5 yr deal and listed what I think he will get, not what I would pay for him. Theres no way Id give him 18M without it being incentive filled.

I also changed my line of "have no clue" to an "opposing opinion" in my last post. I dont agree with Ells getting 18M+ a year. NEVER HAVE. Pleae make a note of that ;)

5M contract

5M for 40 steals

5M for 200 hits (or 1M for each 40 hits)

5M for a .975 fielding average or above

5M if the sox win the WS during any contract year!

Thats my offer otherwise take a hike

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I try.  Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

After we win the world series, Ells will want to stay, and he'll sign for Pence-like numbers. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I try.  Cool

[/QUOTE]

yeah, I got a big laugh out of that one too 5. Thanks Laughing

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

After we win the world series, Ells will want to stay,

Wrong. Regardless of how the 2013 Red Sox end up, Ellsbury wants as much money as he can possibly get. Nothing wrong with that, other than any GM who pays anything near what Ellsbury wants will be the fool.

So man up Stiff One!  What should Ells get, based on the REAL WORLD market for a LO hitting CF with a .300 avg., 50+ SB potential every year for the next 5 years, run down speed in the OF, a very nice OPS, 90+ RS, 70 - 100 RBI potential year in & year out, & a girly arm to boot????

What does the market dictate he WILL GET?  Tell us oh wise one.  The guy who has a 95% incorrect player prediction chart for the RS 2013.  We all need to know your latest incorrect prediction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Wrong. Regardless of how the 2013 Red Sox end up, Ellsbury wants as much money as he can possibly get. Nothing wrong with that, other than any GM who pays anything near what Ellsbury wants will be the fool.

So man up Stiff One!  What should Ells get, based on the REAL WORLD market for a LO hitting CF with a .300 avg., 50+ SB potential every year for the next 5 years, run down speed in the OF, a very nice OPS, 90+ RS, 70 - 100 RBI potential year in & year out, & a girly arm to boot????

What does the market dictate he WILL GET?  Tell us oh wise one.  The guy who has a 95% incorrect player prediction chart for the RS 2013.  We all need to know your latest incorrect prediction.

Last year Bourne got 4/48. Although I believe Ellsbury is the superior player, hes not 6M per better IMHO.

I dont think he will get this deal, but I think 14-15M per with incentives (games played, SB, HR) to reach 18-20M over 5 years is about right.

Im guessing he gets 18-20M per guarrenteed over 5-6 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Last year Bourne got 4/48. Although I believe Ellsbury is the superior player, hes not 6M per better IMHO.

I dont think he will get this deal, but I think 14-15M per with incentives (games played, SB, HR) to reach 18-20M over 5 years is about right.

Im guessing he gets 18-20M per guarrenteed over 5-6 years.

I completely agree. 

Now.....  Stiffy???    What would be a good contract for Ells be?  Should the Sox keep him if they could structure a 15/yr 5 year deal, with incentives?  Yes or No?  Would this be a wise deal for a real GM?  Yes or no, & why? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

this "ellsbury is fragile" crowd is FUNNY! it's like you people (what do you mean "you people"?!?!?) refuse to see the facts as they stare you in the face.

ellsbury is NOT injury prone in any sense of the word. put any other player into those situations and they would also miss simillar time. Whether it be Cal Ripken or JD drew....

injury prone is going onto the DL repeatedly due to day to day baseball activities. Players who get especially worn down from the daily grinds of baseball get the label of injury prone. NOT players who suffer a freak injury.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a lot of things (mostly good) but "injury prone" is not one of them. anyone who says otherwise is simply being obtuse or is just stupid.

Well MEF, I guess I am just in the "stupid" crowd. Where does that leave you?

Guess I will just chalk up your last inane post to immaturity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

5M contract

5M for 40 steals

5M for 200 hits (or 1M for each 40 hits)

5M for a .975 fielding average or above

5M if the sox win the WS during any contract year!

Thats my offer otherwise take a hike

I don't think the collective bargaining agreement allow this sort of thing-pay based on performance. Unfortunately.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Well MEF, I guess I am just in the "stupid" crowd. Where does that leave you?

Guess I will just chalk up your last inane post to immaturity.

chalk it up to whatever you like. the fact is, he is not injury prone. Now, if he had missed all those games over the course of several years (as opposed to simply 2) AND had 7-10+ trips to the DL and needed 4 surgeries (shoutout to Kalish) he could be labeled as injury prone. that is not the case.

can we start calling pitchers who go down with UCL tears injury prone? they also miss a ton of time due to a single injury. no? what about pedroia? can we call HIM injury prone? he missed a ton of time due to his single injury... so why are we saying the same thing about Ellsbury?

calling Ellsbury injury prone is not factually correct. people who intentionally say things that are not factually correct are stupid... no?

Sections
Shortcuts